Sign in to follow this  
essexcanary

Team tacics

I have just attended my first match this season as live near London,went to Gillingham ok the ref spolit the match and city''s rhythm, I will never understand why this stupid rule came in.  Norwich should have been 2 up in the first twenty minunets but we cannot score,I was not impressed by grant holt,alone up front for most of the game with little support and hardly came into the match except for the last 5 mins. Hoolahan was by far the best player on the pitch and I wonder how long we will be able to keep him.the game was a game of two halfs we controlled the first but they dominated us for 3/4 of the second. we had 3 strikers on the bench, Mc Donald was brought on far too late, and after his apperancewe looked like we might score.we should have taken holt off as well and put martin and Mcdonald up the front. If you are not getting goals why wait until its too late to bring on subs paticually when they are strikers sitting there.Overall I thought we have a chance but can see us finishing around mid to lower table at the moment. anyway the supporters were as always great despite the ground selling lots of seats twice and causing confusion with the security guards. and look on the bright side we will soon be playing Ipswich again! [;)]

[quote user="canaryranger"]I have just attended my first match this season as live near London,went to Gillingham ok the ref spolit the match and city''s rhythm, I will never understand why this stupid rule came in.  Norwich should have been 2 up in the first twenty minunets but we cannot score,I was not impressed by grant holt,alone up front for most of the game with little support and hardly came into the match except for the last 5 mins. Hoolahan was by far the best player on the pitch and I wonder how long we will be able to keep him.the game was a game of two halfs we controlled the first but they dominated us for 3/4 of the second. we had 3 strikers on the bench, Mc Donald was brought on far too late, and after his apperancewe looked like we might score.we should have taken holt off as well and put martin and Mcdonald up the front. If you are not getting goals why wait until its too late to bring on subs paticually when they are strikers sitting there.Overall I thought we have a chance but can see us finishing around mid to lower table at the moment. anyway the supporters were as always great despite the ground selling lots of seats twice and causing confusion with the security guards. and look on the bright side we will soon be playing Ipswich again! [;)][/quote]I''m sorry what?!  Holt was not good enough for you?  His effort for the team is second to none, and if we had brought him off he would not have been there to set Hoolahan up for the shot that was blocked for the corner, and then to head it onto the crossbar for Russell to head in the rebound.  We had 10 men on the pitch, and you expect us to bring two strikers on, replacing our hardest worker.  I''m sorry but you''re talking out of your behind.

Yeah I thought that Holt did the best he could having been isolated by the sending off. Lucky as hell not to go himself for a raised arm though! Plus he should have earned us a stone wall pen late on in my opinion - not giving that was much worse reffing than giving theirs. I thought that Lambert was excellent as it happens. We were relatively tight for a 10 men line up after half time, absorbing most of their attacks, then his response to their chicken s**t defensive subs to go at them won us the point and could have won us all 3 had the ref given the pen.

Sorry mate i am on the same side, i did not see holt do much in the second half,not his fault as no service to him, McDonald livened things up and looked sharp and quick,we would have lost 1-0 in not for the last gasp winner, mid way through the half I would have risked mcdonald and martin and looked for the winner rather than go home with nothing.and there again i would probably make a very crap manager! Holt did do a lot of work but needs to start scoring like he did for shrewsbury otherwise it is all wasted.

[quote user="canaryranger"]Holt did do a lot of work but needs to start scoring like he did for shrewsbury otherwise it is all wasted.[/quote]Look I don''t want you to think I am on some sort of witch hunt here, but this is absolute tripe.  Holt has been one of our best players this season, he''s scored a fair few as well, and his effort far exceeds some of the others we have on the pitch at the same time.

I have to agree with ncfcstar, although i wasn''t at the game it just doesn''t make sense to take off a striker like Holt who is your top scorer but most importantly works so hard and can hold the ball up.

Had Lambert piled on additional strikers early we could have been picked off with only 10men and the game would have been over very early

[quote user="Romantic"]That''s exactly right - and as I say - we could have nicked it all. Good management I''d say.[/quote]

I''m not sure I''d call it good management when we start a game without a single defender on the bench.

Lucky perhaps, but definitely not good.

I think Holt is scoring at a better (or atleast similar) rate as he was at Shrewsbury actually. And considering it''s a whole level higher, and he''s been providing some decent assists on top of that, i think it would be fair to say he''s been doing a good job.And if we were to have both McDonald and Martin up front, we''d really have no hope of our long balls up the pitch ever being recieved by a Norwich City player (not saying we should be doing it though... It''s just the unfortunate case we seem to have at the moment).

I have just attended my first match this season as live near London

That explains everything. Great support.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="canaryranger"]I have just attended my first match this season as live near London,went to Gillingham ok the ref spolit the match and city''s rhythm, I will never understand why this stupid rule came in.  Norwich should have been 2 up in the first twenty minunets but we cannot score,I was not impressed by grant holt,alone up front for most of the game with little support and hardly came into the match except for the last 5 mins. Hoolahan was by far the best player on the pitch and I wonder how long we will be able to keep him.the game was a game of two halfs we controlled the first but they dominated us for 3/4 of the second. we had 3 strikers on the bench, Mc Donald was brought on far too late, and after his apperancewe looked like we might score.we should have taken holt off as well and put martin and Mcdonald up the front. If you are not getting goals why wait until its too late to bring on subs paticually when they are strikers sitting there.
Overall I thought we have a chance but can see us finishing around mid to lower table at the moment. anyway the supporters were as always great despite the ground selling lots of seats twice and causing confusion with the security guards. and look on the bright side we will soon be playing Ipswich again! [;)]
[/quote]

I''m sorry what?!  Holt was not good enough for you?  His effort for the team is second to none, and if we had brought him off he would not have been there to set Hoolahan up for the shot that was blocked for the corner, and then to head it onto the crossbar for Russell to head in the rebound.  We had 10 men on the pitch, and you expect us to bring two strikers on, replacing our hardest worker.  I''m sorry but you''re talking out of your behind.
[/quote]

Couldn''t agree with you more NCFCStar. Great signing by errr Gunn wasn''t it ? However, going back to tactics, having excluded Hoolahan from the squad I see that Lambrusque has swallowed his pride and brought him back into the fold. How Larrry the Lambo could have ignored Hoolahan for vital league matches is beyond me and very many others I have spoken to. Just look at what the Gills manager said of Hoolahoops : "The little man Hoolahan I thought was absolutely outstanding today. His work rate, his passing, his movement - you can see why he''s played at a higher level for a period of time".  Apparently, it took Lambert time to realise that. I recall many on here pointing to a fall out between Look at McMe McNally and Gunn because Gunn refused to sell Hoolahan. Given Holt, Hughes and Hoolahan it''s clear that Gunn knew a good player when he saw one.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="canaryranger"]I have just attended my first match this season as live near London,went to Gillingham ok the ref spolit the match and city''s rhythm, I will never understand why this stupid rule came in.  Norwich should have been 2 up in the first twenty minunets but we cannot score,I was not impressed by grant holt,alone up front for most of the game with little support and hardly came into the match except for the last 5 mins. Hoolahan was by far the best player on the pitch and I wonder how long we will be able to keep him.the game was a game of two halfs we controlled the first but they dominated us for 3/4 of the second. we had 3 strikers on the bench, Mc Donald was brought on far too late, and after his apperancewe looked like we might score.we should have taken holt off as well and put martin and Mcdonald up the front. If you are not getting goals why wait until its too late to bring on subs paticually when they are strikers sitting there.
Overall I thought we have a chance but can see us finishing around mid to lower table at the moment. anyway the supporters were as always great despite the ground selling lots of seats twice and causing confusion with the security guards. and look on the bright side we will soon be playing Ipswich again! [;)]
[/quote]

I''m sorry what?!  Holt was not good enough for you?  His effort for the team is second to none, and if we had brought him off he would not have been there to set Hoolahan up for the shot that was blocked for the corner, and then to head it onto the crossbar for Russell to head in the rebound.  We had 10 men on the pitch, and you expect us to bring two strikers on, replacing our hardest worker.  I''m sorry but you''re talking out of your behind.
[/quote]

Couldn''t agree with you more NCFCStar. Great signing by errr Gunn wasn''t it ? However, going back to tactics, having excluded Hoolahan from the squad I see that Lambrusque has swallowed his pride and brought him back into the fold. How Larrry the Lambo could have ignored Hoolahan for vital league matches is beyond me and very many others I have spoken to. Just look at what the Gills manager said of Hoolahoops : "The little man Hoolahan I thought was absolutely outstanding today. His work rate, his passing, his movement - you can see why he''s played at a higher level for a period of time".  Apparently, it took Lambert time to realise that. I recall many on here pointing to a fall out between Look at McMe McNally and Gunn because Gunn refused to sell Hoolahan. Given Holt, Hughes and Hoolahan it''s clear that Gunn knew a good player when he saw one.

[/quote]

It''s clear that John Deehan did. When Gunn was in charge of recruitment the players coming in were.........!!

Lambert rated Hooli from the start in fact he signed him from Ireland. He stated that as soon as he did what Lambert wanted he would play him. A man as good as his word.

Bob can you not post anything about anything without all this crap about BG?