Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Tom Adeyami

Was out with some workmates on saturday night, and a couple used to play/manage a team which Tom Adeyami played in when he was younger, and they know his family.

Apparently Tom is very much considering going to Cambridge to take a degree (they said in medicine) and therefore would be leaving the club, not sure if he would intend on playing football after.

Following the local publicity of his excellent grades, it wouldn''t suprise me at all. I believe he has just finished his A/S exams so he would have one more year with us before uni.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

No, but that would thoroughly suck if true.That kid has some true potential, and should he focus and start putting in the kind of shifts Korey has been, at the age of 17, i don''t see why he can''t make it as a Premier League player one day.

Surely someone could drive him backwards and forwards, its not like it''s that far away. Just can''t see someone giving up the chance to earn a stack load in football.

Surely, given the scant hours footballers actually work, he could do distance learning via the Open University...but then if medicine IS his bag, he would need to do locums, etc... and it would take over his life.

I''d be amazed if this were ture, plenty of sportsmen have combined university studies with their careers, for example De Zeeuw of Wigan studied for a degree in medicine whilst playing for them and Felipe Contempomi of Leinster studied Medicine at UCD as well as captaining Argentina so it is by no means unheard of. He''s been combining playing football and studying for several years and still gets the highest grades don''t see why he''d stop just as his football career begins to take off.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Agreed that it''s not all about grades, but I don''t think being a professional sportsman whilst still getting top grades is going to do him any harm do you? Not as if all he does is study....[/quote]

Top grades and being a professional sportsman would see him first in the queue for most Universities but he''s talking (according to the OP) about Cambridge here. Different kettle of fish.

There are many ways around this. If he spoke to the university he may be able to do both.Otherwise he could do the degree after football, you dont have to be 18 to go to university.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Agreed that it''s not all about grades, but I don''t think being a professional sportsman whilst still getting top grades is going to do him any harm do you? Not as if all he does is study....[/quote]

Top grades and being a professional sportsman would see him first in the queue for most Universities but he''s talking (according to the OP) about Cambridge here. Different kettle of fish.

[/quote]

Hmm yes - top grades, professional sportsman, ethnic minority candidate - aside from the fact he went to a private school would appear to tick just about every box I wouold have thought!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

Hmm yes - top grades, professional sportsman, ethnic minority candidate - aside from the fact he went to a private school would appear to tick just about every box I wouold have thought!

[/quote]

Agree Jim. What else would he need to do to get in?

Get past the controversial interviewing panel for a start....you can easily have double the number of minimum points and not get past them.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Yes fine, but now you''re entering the realms of wild speculation. How would you or I know if he''d get through the interview or not?[/quote]

I am just pointing out that it is an additional hurdle if indeed the story is correct.

Having been to Cambridge it is not all that hard to get into. You just need to prove the ability and charm on the day, no diff to any other interview really....however much the conspiracy lovers would prefer darker secrets to be true

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Thanks Cam, at least there is someone else on here who understands how the Cambridge entry system works.[/quote]

I understand perfectly how the Oxbridge entry systems work. I was questioning what you thought would stop him getting in? I didn''t say he would per se, but one would imagine on paper he''s good enough, and then the interview, well who knows?

I don''t see how you can say that he wouldn''t get in that''s all. As far as I see it he''d have as good a chance as anyone else.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Thanks Cam, at least there is someone else on here who understands how the Cambridge entry system works.[/quote]

I understand perfectly how the Oxbridge entry systems work. I was questioning what you thought would stop him getting in? I didn''t say he would per se, but one would imagine on paper he''s good enough, and then the interview, well who knows?

I don''t see how you can say that he wouldn''t get in that''s all. As far as I see it he''d have as good a chance as anyone else.

[/quote]Never got an answer to that, did Simon...Mustachio, prove the point you were trying to make then? What makes you suspect he is a candidate ''lacking'' in capacity, ability and/or personallity to attain himself a place at Cambridge then?

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[/quote]

I''m not sure that this is the place to discuss the oft criticised Oxbridge entry selection but it remains a fact that that you can have more "points" than a rival but be failed by the interview board for, if you wish, a lack of charisma in the interview.  That''s just the way they hope to choose their select.  It is a very difficult situation - all courses have their minimum points but the problem is what to do with those who double those minimum points and there are still not enough places for all of them.

Oxbridge resort to the "personality selection" as a sort of tie breaker.  The Girl Upstairs chose not to go the Oxbridge route although she applied to both and was granted initial interviews "but didn''t like the look of the process."

Instead she went to an Oxbridge equivalent, Trinity College, Dublin, who for most courses use a different system - and just as much open to criticism.  They merely choose the the highest points scorers to fill the available places and after that the door closes.  At the Freshers induction as part of the "Please Don''t Waste Your Time Here" lecture she was told that for everyone in the room "fifteen have been turned away."

Personally I would go for first past the post myself but in any event there is not a personality option.

The Girl Upstairs was State School throughout prior to Trinity Dublin  but her Musician Sister was entirely different and there was not a State School which could cope with her.  We had absolutely no help at all from the state system in coping with a very gifted and very focussed daughter and so we had to go private - or at least enter her for Chetham''s, Manchester, who took her on board when she was 13 and while she had a Scholarship we had to foot the bill for all the rest of it (fair enough).  It still cost us a fortune in private lessons from the age of nine and on her instruments.  Fortunately we were in a financial position to do so but if not there wouldn''t have been any help from the Department of Education.

Come to think of it you could argue it is flawed all the way round.[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="SimonOTBC"]

[/quote]

I''m not sure that this is the place to discuss the oft criticised Oxbridge entry selection but it remains a fact that that you can have more "points" than a rival but be failed by the interview board for, if you wish, a lack of charisma in the interview.  That''s just the way they hope to choose their select.  It is a very difficult situation - all courses have their minimum points but the problem is what to do with those who double those minimum points and there are still not enough places for all of them.

Oxbridge resort to the "personality selection" as a sort of tie breaker.  The Girl Upstairs chose not to go the Oxbridge route although she applied to both and was granted initial interviews "but didn''t like the look of the process."

Instead she went to an Oxbridge equivalent, Trinity College, Dublin, who for most courses use a different system - and just as much open to criticism.  They merely choose the the highest points scorers to fill the available places and after that the door closes.  At the Freshers induction as part of the "Please Don''t Waste Your Time Here" lecture she was told that for everyone in the room "fifteen have been turned away."

Personally I would go for first past the post myself but in any event there is not a personality option.

The Girl Upstairs was State School throughout prior to Trinity Dublin  but her Musician Sister was entirely different and there was not a State School which could cope with her.  We had absolutely no help at all from the state system in coping with a very gifted and very focussed daughter and so we had to go private - or at least enter her for Chetham''s, Manchester, who took her on board when she was 13 and while she had a Scholarship we had to foot the bill for all the rest of it (fair enough).  It still cost us a fortune in private lessons from the age of nine and on her instruments.  Fortunately we were in a financial position to do so but if not there wouldn''t have been any help from the Department of Education.

Come to think of it you could argue it is flawed all the way round.[;)]

[/quote]

Yes I was interviewed at Oxford (didn''t get in) and one panel member claimed ''not to like music at all'' before accusing me of drug taking. I can remember one question where I spent what seemed like 5 minutes trying to think of a reply, it seemed like the most impossible question! Yet on paper I probably seemed like an ideal candidate. They certainly did their best to disorientate me. I wasn''t very competitive as I wasn''t sure if it was the right Uni for me - certainly not something they wanted to hear! Good luck to Mr Adeyemi though, particularly in ignoring all the advice and choosing the path which he believes is right for him personally.

Why did "The Girl Upstairs" apply to universities in two seperate years? Anyway, that''s neither here nor there.

I agree with you that the Oxbridge system is way more complicated than just having the points, but if you see my previous post you''ll see that''s not my point.

In all honesty, these days there seems to be very little benefit of going to Oxbridge over the other top 10/15 uni''s, if what you''re aiming for is a good job at the end of it. I know for a fact graduate employers score the university you went to when deciding whether to interview or not and there are 5 or so in addition to Oxbridge that score full marks. If however, you''re going to uni to be a real expert in your field then Oxbridge might well be the best place for you.

Anyway, totally off topic here, so I''ll make some effort to get back on track, as far as I can see adeyemi has as good a chance as anyone and perhaps slightly better by virtue of being a pro sportsman.