Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Promotion still the aim for Norwich City

Great to hear that our manager still has ambition and drive. But who of you still really believe we can do it? I don''t feel too confident but I still think we can get to the play-offs if we get our act together soon.

For tonight...I hope Declan keeps a clean sheet! He deserves his chance!

2-0 City...

i really think promotion is out of the question this season . we had too many new faces this season . some are okay and some below par .

mid table finish and build from there for next season .

hopefully i will be proved wrong but i dont think we are strong enough by a long way .

I believe the way things are going at the moment we have a good chance of reaching the play-offs, providing we have better luck with injuries ie not getting too many! This will ensure consistency - look at Charlton''s results - how much is due to playing the same team?

We cannot afford to be down in this league for too long - one season is one too many in my opinion so a second really doesn''t bear thinking about.

i praise the fighting spirit in the last two games to grab a cople of late goals to salvage a couple of points .but we should be winning more games and getting points on the board early .

maybe with two or three quality loan players we may make the play offs but i cant see us doing anything more than a mid table finish with the current players we have to be honest .

Automatic promotion looks unlikely but not impossible.  Leeds or Charlton will have to slip up, but it''s a long season and you could argue that they''ve hit the front too early.  Although we got a point against Charlton I think they''ve got a better squad than us, and we''ll find out where we stand with Leeds in a couple of weeks time.

But we''re only five points off a playoff place which is very achievable imo.  From what we''ve seen so far I don''t think there are more than three other clubs better than us, although most have an advantage in terms of experience in this league.

It looks like automatic is already unnatainable.

If we keep there or thereabouts, with ten games to go and having gelled, settled and with one or two new faces, then we could well achieve a play-off spot. I feel our squad will have greater depth than many of our rivals, and the long season will be beginning to take it''s toll on teams with lesser playing resources. 

At least it gives us a positive aim. Am I being unrealistc?

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Of course we can do it, but we need to string some wins together, this week is the perfect opportunity.[/quote]

Totally agree Simon.[Y]

I am upbeat about our chances of at least making the playoffs. I have not seen us play a team I consider to be better than us. Auto promotion is clearly a long shot given the gap already there. I can''t see Leeds dropping too many points but I could see Charlton having a wobble.

I firmly believe there has been a marked improvement in spirit and attitude since Lambert came in. We have a number of players who are top quality at this level and the manager appears to know what he is doing. I do think we could do with a couple of astute loan signings ot bolster the defence but i think at some point soon we will have a really good run and push on up the league. All we need is a bit of luck and a few games without a sh*t referee ruining them so we can build up some momentum. Fingers crossed it may start tonight.

I love the way that people are already placin Charlton and Leeds as definite to go automatically. Last I looked it was still September. This isn''t the Premierships top 4 we''re talking about. Squads are thin and momentum hard to maintain at this level. How many times have we seen definite promotion contenders drop right out of the top 6 by spring?I''m not saying it will be us to take it off them but a lot can change over the coming months.

It''s such a long season, every team is going to have at least one dip in form- including Leeds and Charlton. Not saying I''m confident, but surely the play-offs are more than reachable.

How bloody depressing is this. We''re still in September and we''re already going for the we can still get promotion angle, which only gets used when a team''s had a crap start. I could just about handle that in the championship but when it''s the 3rd divison its a bit to depressing. I hope i''m wrong but i''ve seen nothing yet that shows we can go on a winning run.

[quote user="Shaker"]How bloody depressing is this. We''re still in September and we''re already going for the we can still get promotion angle, which only gets used when a team''s had a crap start. I could just about handle that in the championship but when it''s the 3rd divison its a bit to depressing. I hope i''m wrong but i''ve seen nothing yet that shows we can go on a winning run.[/quote]

So whats the alternative Shaker?..............doom mongering?

Leeds will fall off the pace a little, and Charlton will have a blip. we have to make sure that we are there waiting to pounce though! Beckford will be bought in January to the Championship and Charlton may lose a couple of players and I see them not struggling in the new year.

I hope we can pick things up in October and press on into the play off places. Get a few loanes players in with a view to buying in January.

I hope I''m wrong but personally I just can''t see that we will score sufficient goals even to get to the play-offs with the present players we have. Holt might get us 15-20 given an injury-free and suspension-free season but I can''t see anyone else getting into double figures. It''s been our problem for a long time. Hughes, Russell, Hoolahan etc. will chip in with a few each but you need at least three players getting into double figures and I just can''t see who will do that other than Holt.

And the defence is still far from watertight meaning that we will concede one goal in many games. We might have enough firepower to draw such games but win them? Possibly not. I see a season of many draws.

PS I hope that post ensures we bang in five tonight!

I reckon that Leeds and Charlton will probably get the top 2 automatic promotion spots, although it is still early in the season and if we start getting more points I think that it is still possible for us - Leeds have had loads of problems with getting promotion in the past few years.

However, if we do manage to achieve promotion, I think that it will be via the play-offs

I don''t know how anyone can be so certain already, we just don''t know. Who''s to say Leeds or Charlton won''t get an injury to key players and be unable to cope? Who''s to say we will or won''t win the next 5 games?

When Leeds got relegated, due to their points reduction they had 10 points after the same amount of games, and ended up finishing comfortably in the playoffs. So why can''t we? I know they had won 8 and drawn 1 so would possibly have been more confident, but it''s only now we are starting to get a settled side after the most complicated of starts.

So all hope is not lost. Playoffs can still be expected.

If we are down here by mid November into December, maybe then start saying we can''t go up.

From what I''ve seen so far we seem to lack the flair and imagination to win enough games to be considered serious promotion contenders, can''t see us losing that many games but I don''t think we are good enough to turn enough of the tight games into 3 points instead of 1 and that will cost us a lot of points. With a couple or three decent loan signings that could change but at the moment I can''t see us finishing above tenth which considering we''re in the third level would be a big disappointment imo.

Of course promotion should still be our aim - I can imagine the response from supporters if the manager wrote off our chances after barely a fifth of the season gone.

I do find it truly bizarre that people think promotion is already decided after only 10 games. Only in the Premiership are things even remotely like that. Sides in all leagues have come through far worse starts than we have made to be promoted (indeed, we did in 1985/6); whether we will of course, is another thing.

It does seem that the first thing Lambert did was make us far better in defence, something that was sorely needed - but we now need to pick up from there and get wins under our belts against the ''lesser'' sides. Tonight would be a good start.

But the simple fact is that nothing at all is remotely decided now, there is way too long to go.

Lets also remember that both of the penalties that we have conceded goals from have been highly controversial. If that one on Saturday hadn''t been given or wasn''t converted, I reckon that we could have won

Of course it''s still possible, Forest had a 7 point lead their first season down here by November and they didn''t go up.

Then they came from nowhere to nick an automatic promotion spot the season they went up.

Don''t judge the league table on how it is now cos i''l garentee you it''ll look a lot different come May, it always does at this level.

Leeds are strong and will definitely be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. But they will wobble, look at their run of form towards the middle of last season

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/leeds-united/2008-2009/results

No team can go an entire season without losing, (unless you''re a very special Arseanl side in!)

Even Leicester slipped up, though admittedly they still managed to draw (18 in all)

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/leicester-city/2008-2009/results

I''m going for a play-off place...

Anything less than six points from the two home games this week and automatic promotion is already almost certainly gone.

We could indeed sneak into the play offs,but will need to score goals with far more frequency than we are doing now.

A good rule of thumb is .

If the number of points is  DOUBLE  the number of games played,then Automatic promotion

If it is 1.5 times the number of games played,then on track for a play off place.

We are WAY OFF either of these.

Can anyone tell me the dates of play off semis and the final please??have looked but cant find it..

Promotion is the aim for most teams in this league, what else are we gonna aim for, mid-table mediocrity, relegation?I don''t think we will go up automatic, I think we will scrape the play-offs though.