Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Glen Roeder.

Bob Franklin wrote...............

"Gunn had the good sense to bring back Cureton immediately from Barnsley"

The BOARD brought Curo back BEFORE they appointed Gunn as manager! Can''t give Gunn credit/blame for that Bob. Sorry.[:(]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

The BOARD brought Curo back BEFORE they appointed Gunn as manager! Can''t give Gunn credit/blame for that Bob. Sorry.[:(]

[/quote]

Bet it was Delia[:@]

Blimey, what’s all this rubbish about the squad that Gunn inherited? Some of you seem to have forgotten that as head of player recruitment Gunn recommended many of that squad to Roeder.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Chewbacca"]Roeder would have had us relegated well before the end of the season! I think people forget just how bad we were at the time!

Gunn inherited a dreadful squad - but did little to suggest he was a decent manager throughout his spell. I still blame Roeder for taking us down, Gunn just wasn''t good enough to do anything with that squad either.[/quote]

FF''S, who would have been good enough to have done anything with that squad ? Gunn had the good sense to bring back Cureton immediately from Barnsley but unfortunately Curo had done the damage. He also had the good sense to get rid of Fotheringham. Then during the summer he had a good clear-out and brought in players of the quality of Holt and Hughes as well as re-habbing lappin, Spillane, Martin, Smith and so on. Gunn can''t be judged on the basis of last season and her can''t be judged on the basis of a one-off result. But he can and should be given credit for the good choices he made when he did have the opportunity in the summer regarding players both in and out. I believe he stood firm regarding Hoolahan, not wanting to sell him, p____d off a certain self-important Scotsman who was of course gifted the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn because of the Colchester one-off result.[/quote]Just leave it "bob" you''re just embarrasing yourself now. There is not one solitary shred of evidence that Gunn was or would make a decent manager. He took us from outside the drop zone to humiliating relegation and the worse defeat at home EVER, through tactical ineptitude and an inability to motivate a squad that was on paper better than Championship relegation fodder. The fact was Roeder was also failing is beside the point. Can''t you grasp that? It is clear to everyone else that we are playing better under Lambert, why is it not clear to you?

[quote user="Bob Franklin"] I believe he stood firm regarding Hoolahan, not wanting to sell him, p____d off a certain self-important Scotsman who was of course gifted the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn because of the Colchester one-off result.[/quote]If it''s so clear that Gunn stood firm against the selling of Hoolihan, how come he''s still here?!!!!As for Roeder, I think he might well have kept us up, and then hopefully sacked at the end of the season. I don''t believe the Charlton performance would have happened under him.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="John Morlar"]

According to EDP this morning, Roeder is tipped to be named as assistant to Sven at Notts County.

If we have been paying his salary monthly, could the fact that he may be getting a new job save us some money ?

It never ceases to amaze me how the same proven failures keep getting jobs, ie Bryan Robson for Thailand and John Barnes at Tranmere, this must give hope to Tony Adams and Glen Hoddle (even Bryan Gunn ?). It must also be frustrating for a rookie boss trying to get a new job.

[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how people like you regard Gunn as a failure. You name Roeder as a failure hence your thread. Gunn took over from your named failure just before the end of the January transfer window and with bugger all money to spend anyway and accepted the poisoned chalice and crap squad that was Roeder''s legacy, unsurprisingly did not succeed in reversing the slide to relegation, during the Summer shipped out much of the dross and players that didn''t want to wear the shirt, re-habbed a number of existing players (Lappin, Drury, Spillane, Martin) and brought in some excellent players - look at the players who performed so well on Saturday - had the misfortune of  a horrible one-off game (just like Moyes and look where Everton are now) and gets labelled a failure. I want Lambrini to be a success and despite his poor tally of  3 points  from 4 matches he must be given time to prove how good a manager he is - a luxury not afforded to Gunn. Lambast inherited a good squad of players from Gunn as witnessed by 5 - 2 against Wycombe and 2-0 away against Hartlepool and battling draws against Charlton and Gillingham so let''s hope he gains a maximum 6 points from our next two home games - anything less and questions will start to be asked as to his tactical and man-management skills.

[/quote] How can we NOT call Gunn a failure, look where we are? He was a shocking manager. Roeder would have kept us up![/quote]

Roeder would not have kept us up.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="Bob Franklin"] I believe he stood firm regarding Hoolahan, not wanting to sell him, p____d off a certain self-important Scotsman who was of course gifted the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn because of the Colchester one-off result.[/quote]

If it''s so clear that Gunn stood firm against the selling of Hoolihan, how come he''s still here?!!!!

As for Roeder, I think he might well have kept us up, and then hopefully sacked at the end of the season. I don''t believe the Charlton performance would have happened under him.
[/quote]

Well, many sh!te performances did happen under him. Including one against Charlton. You can believe what you like but no City fan should be sticking up for Glenn Roeder, he''s done so much more damage to us than Gunn. Even if Roeder had kept us up, what kind of a squad would we have now. I truly believe we are in a better position now, even if we are in League 1, having signed some proffessional footballers. Roeder released Huckerby and he sold Joe Lewis amongst others to bring in Matty Pattison. I can tell you one thing I believe. We would be in the Championship now if Huckerby had played for us last season, whoever was in charge.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

No City fan should be sticking up for Glenn Roeder, he''s done so much more damage to us than Gunn. Even if Roeder had kept us up, what kind of a squad would we have now. I truly believe we are in a better position now, even if we are in League 1, having signed some proffessional footballers.

[/quote][img]http://www-keeler.ch.cam.ac.uk/pictures/pictures2002/RichwithSand.jpg[/img]