Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Glen Roeder.

According to EDP this morning, Roeder is tipped to be named as assistant to Sven at Notts County.

If we have been paying his salary monthly, could the fact that he may be getting a new job save us some money ?

It never ceases to amaze me how the same proven failures keep getting jobs, ie Bryan Robson for Thailand and John Barnes at Tranmere, this must give hope to Tony Adams and Glen Hoddle (even Bryan Gunn ?). It must also be frustrating for a rookie boss trying to get a new job.

I don''t think that anyone here doubted that Glenn would have made a good Director of Football though, so I''m not surprised he might be on the way to another job.  Robson on the other hand, well it is only Thailand!

[quote user="John Morlar"]

According to EDP this morning, Roeder is tipped to be named as assistant to Sven at Notts County.

If we have been paying his salary monthly, could the fact that he may be getting a new job save us some money ?

It never ceases to amaze me how the same proven failures keep getting jobs, ie Bryan Robson for Thailand and John Barnes at Tranmere, this must give hope to Tony Adams and Glen Hoddle (even Bryan Gunn ?). It must also be frustrating for a rookie boss trying to get a new job.

[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how people like you regard Gunn as a failure. You name Roeder as a failure hence your thread. Gunn took over from your named failure just before the end of the January transfer window and with bugger all money to spend anyway and accepted the poisoned chalice and crap squad that was Roeder''s legacy, unsurprisingly did not succeed in reversing the slide to relegation, during the Summer shipped out much of the dross and players that didn''t want to wear the shirt, re-habbed a number of existing players (Lappin, Drury, Spillane, Martin) and brought in some excellent players - look at the players who performed so well on Saturday - had the misfortune of  a horrible one-off game (just like Moyes and look where Everton are now) and gets labelled a failure. I want Lambrini to be a success and despite his poor tally of  3 points  from 4 matches he must be given time to prove how good a manager he is - a luxury not afforded to Gunn. Lambast inherited a good squad of players from Gunn as witnessed by 5 - 2 against Wycombe and 2-0 away against Hartlepool and battling draws against Charlton and Gillingham so let''s hope he gains a maximum 6 points from our next two home games - anything less and questions will start to be asked as to his tactical and man-management skills.

As GR is a member of the League Managers Association you won''t have been paying him off monthly.  Their contracts do not allow for that - maximum of two lump sum payments.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="John Morlar"]

[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how people like you regard Gunn as a failure. You name Roeder as a failure hence your thread. Gunn took over from your named failure just before the end of the January transfer window and with bugger all money to spend anyway and accepted the poisoned chalice and crap squad that was Roeder''s legacy, unsurprisingly did not succeed in reversing the slide to relegation, during the Summer shipped out much of the dross and players that didn''t want to wear the shirt, re-habbed a number of existing players (Lappin, Drury, Spillane, Martin) and brought in some excellent players - look at the players who performed so well on Saturday - had the misfortune of  a horrible one-off game (just like Moyes and look where Everton are now) and gets labelled a failure. I want Lambrini to be a success and despite his poor tally of  3 points  from 4 matches he must be given time to prove how good a manager he is - a luxury not afforded to Gunn. Lambast inherited a good squad of players from Gunn as witnessed by 5 - 2 against Wycombe and 2-0 away against Hartlepool and battling draws against Charlton and Gillingham so let''s hope he gains a maximum 6 points from our next two home games - anything less and questions will start to be asked as to his tactical and man-management skills.

[/quote]It never ceases to amaze me how people like you regard Gunn as a victim.

Cam, I normally have the greatest respect for your opinions, but to call Gunn anything other than a failure is distorting the facts.

Treated particularly badly, yes, but should never, ever have been made manager and certainly not appointed second time round in the sumer.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The misfortune of a one-off game?????????????????????

Obviously the last day of the season at Charlton has fallen off your radar so in my book that is two hideous no shows back to back.

Bob your love affair with Bryan Gunn the manager is on a par with Nutty Nigel and Worthy!

Don''t get me wrong Bryan the man not an issue,Bryan the legend not an issue but Bryan the manager and motivator a big no no.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

Cam, I normally have the greatest respect for your opinions, but to call Gunn anything other than a failure is distorting the facts.

Treated particularly badly, yes, but should never, ever have been made manager and certainly not appointed second time round in the sumer.

[/quote]

I didn''t think I''d said anything about Gunn in this thread.[:|]

[/quote]

[/quote]Bob you are absolutely unbelievable.  Gunn did not have to accept that role at all, and don''t forget that we were outside the relegation zone before he took over.  Gunn was given more than enough time to prove that he was an abject failure, look at his record last season, and it was more than a one off performance, I''d go as far to say as the only games where we actually performed under Gunn were the 4-0 victories against both Barnsley and Yeovil.  Gunn may have brought some half decent players to the team, but that is not the main purpose of a manager, it is to get those players playing.  Something which Gunn could not do, and something which Lambert will definitely do.  You can not hand over the victories against Wycombe and Hartlepool to Gunn, there were players in those squads that Gunn did not even consider  playing.And if you are going to start questioning Lambert''s tactical and man-management skills then you really are crazy.  Gunn was one of the most tactically inept managers I have ever seen!Crazy, just absolutely crazy.

Dear Bob Franklin,     Having read many of your postings on this forum, "People like me" can only come to the conclusion that you are Bryan Gunn or a close family member in disguise. Bryan Gunn ( Or you ) can only be described as a failure as manager because he is no longer a manager. I am sure that had he been a succesful Manager, we would by now be chasing for promotion from the Championship rather than languishing in the lower reaches of League 1 (Division 3). I very much doubt that given the clubs dire financial position, Mr Gunn or Mr Roeder were sacked for the sake of it, the club would probably rather have spent their severance pay on other things.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Bob, this is the first time i''ve read any of your posts. I hated every minute of it - how''s the weather in Narnia today?

Gunn was tripe. He is not manager material. I admit he inherited a crap squad but he could not motivate what he had. All good managers are able to motivate what they have even if they lack in the quality department they make up for in work rate etc. Gunns tactical decisions were awful. Losing 5-1 at home after being relegated from a higher division is a disgrace (especially Colchester). Not sure if thats happened in the history of football. Lambert has transformed the current squad, again this is not his squad but he is getting more out of them than Gunn ever would have. We are more solid defensively which is the first think that needed addressing. If Gunn wants to be a manager then he needs to start at the bottom and work his way up not walk straight into a job because he is a so called LEGEND.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bob, your attempts to stand up for Bryan Gunn are admirable and to an extent you even have a point in terms of the squad he inherited and the lack of funds but to then state that if we even only get 4 points out of the next 6 we should turn on Lambert is absolute nonsense. So a 5-0 win tomorrow and a draw on Saturday would result in his man-management skills being questioned does it? [:|]

If you think that Gunn was bad Roeder was by no means better. Roeder also had more time and managing experience - something Gunn didn''t have

However, I''m not too disappointent by his departure, as I think that if we want to play in the 2nd tier next season, we need a manager with good experience. I just think that Gunn should have been given a few more weeks, to see how our results against Exeter and Brentford turned out after the 4-0 cup win away to Yeovil

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]so let''s hope he gains a maximum 6 points from our next two home games - anything less and questions will start to be asked as to his tactical and man-management skills. [/quote]

Only by you Bob, only by you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haven''t you got some homework to do Melissa?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

if you had gunns job, would you have done better??

[/quote]In your nearly 2000 posts, have you ever posted anything constructive?

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Would Glenn go to another club with the initials NCFC?[/quote]

I dont think he would, only because every time he disagreed with the manager he would say ''I missed your tenure as England mana.. oh''

Here is one to ponder.  Roeder claims he would have kept Norwich in the Championship had he not been fired after losing in a nothing competition i.e., the FA Cup.

It falls into the category of "He would say that, wouldn''t he?" And indeed it does.  But just supposing he had been right you might have missed on Gunny entirely.

[/quote]

[/quote]

How can we NOT call Gunn a failure, look where we are? He was a shocking manager. Roeder would have kept us up!

Roeder would have had us relegated well before the end of the season! I think people forget just how bad we were at the time!

Gunn inherited a dreadful squad - but did little to suggest he was a decent manager throughout his spell. I still blame Roeder for taking us down, Gunn just wasn''t good enough to do anything with that squad either.

[quote user="Chewbacca"]Roeder would have had us relegated well before the end of the season! I think people forget just how bad we were at the time!

Gunn inherited a dreadful squad - but did little to suggest he was a decent manager throughout his spell. I still blame Roeder for taking us down, Gunn just wasn''t good enough to do anything with that squad either.[/quote]

FF''S, who would have been good enough to have done anything with that squad ? Gunn had the good sense to bring back Cureton immediately from Barnsley but unfortunately Curo had done the damage. He also had the good sense to get rid of Fotheringham. Then during the summer he had a good clear-out and brought in players of the quality of Holt and Hughes as well as re-habbing lappin, Spillane, Martin, Smith and so on. Gunn can''t be judged on the basis of last season and her can''t be judged on the basis of a one-off result. But he can and should be given credit for the good choices he made when he did have the opportunity in the summer regarding players both in and out. I believe he stood firm regarding Hoolahan, not wanting to sell him, p____d off a certain self-important Scotsman who was of course gifted the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn because of the Colchester one-off result.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Chewbacca"]Roeder would have had us relegated well before the end of the season! I think people forget just how bad we were at the time! Gunn inherited a dreadful squad - but did little to suggest he was a decent manager throughout his spell. I still blame Roeder for taking us down, Gunn just wasn''t good enough to do anything with that squad either.[/quote] FF''S, who would have been good enough to have done anything with that squad ? Gunn had the good sense to bring back Cureton immediately from Barnsley but unfortunately Curo had done the damage. He also had the good sense to get rid of Fotheringham. Then during the summer he had a good clear-out and brought in players of the quality of Holt and Hughes as well as re-habbing lappin, Spillane, Martin, Smith and so on. Gunn can''t be judged on the basis of last season and her can''t be judged on the basis of a one-off result. But he can and should be given credit for the good choices he made when he did have the opportunity in the summer regarding players both in and out. I believe he stood firm regarding Hoolahan, not wanting to sell him, p____d off a certain self-important Scotsman who was of course gifted the opportunity of getting rid of Gunn because of the Colchester one-off result.[/quote]

Lappin wasn''t in the side under Gunn this season, but Whaley was, Doc was and so was Theo. ''Nuff said.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Here is one to ponder.  Roeder claims he would have kept Norwich in the Championship had he not been fired after losing in a nothing competition i.e., the FA Cup.

It falls into the category of "He would say that, wouldn''t he?" And indeed it does.  But just supposing he had been right you might have missed on Gunny entirely.

[/quote]

We''re returning to old ground here Cam, but I really believe Roeder would have kept us up. That''s not to say he didn''t have lots of faults as a football manager, but I think he had enough in the way of contacts and experience to have ground out enough points for survival.

Roeder''s problem seemed to have been that he wasn''t a players'' manager - as an outsider looking in it would seem that he left Clark to man-manage and motivate the players and this fell apart after Clark left. I do think he had a lot of football knowledge and nous though, and he''d make an ideal Director of Football. Perhaps we should have offered him this position and promoted Clark when the latter was approached by Huddersfield, although he probably wouldn''t have accepted this position. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

One thing is certain though - whatever you think of Roeder I think you must agree that for all his failings he was at least an experienced football manager, which is more than you could say for Gunn. [:^)]