Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Your memories of Terry Bly

Who could forget that cold snowy January Saturday in 1959.

Standing jammed in the Barclay, my first visit to Carrow Road, taken by my Dad as a birthday treat to see Man U and my heroes.

To come away with a new set of heroes, and Bly taking them apart in the snow.

The rest aas they say is history. A superb poacher/finisher.

Those sort of memories last a lifetime.

One from before my time I am afraid, but always spoken of it most reverend of terms by my Dad as being a proper footballer from the days when the game was much simpler and more pure.  Thoughts are with his family.

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

The essence of  our sensational ''59 defeat of the "Babes" and our most famous Pinkun headline !

So very sad.

R.I.P. Terry.

[/quote]Ah  - "Bly Bly Babes" . What a day that was - cold enough to freeze the b*lls off a brass monkey - the look of disbelief on Matt Busby''s face as the game unfolded said it all [<:o)]

Being born in 1982, Terry was long before my time.

Growing up all i used to hear about was this "59 Cup Run." It used to embarrass me. I used to think to myself..."How stupid is it, that we keep going back all these years to celebrate something we didnt even win!?"

This all changed one night in January and the 59ers Dinner.

It was a great night, highlighting what a great achievement this was, as a division 3 team. I now talk about it with pride!

On that evening i got talking to Terry Bly. What a gentleman. We were talking for ages.He had all the time in the world.The evening had now finished  (his poor wife couldnt move him away.) but we just kept talking about the achievement and the current Norwich team... It saddened him to see us in such a poor state.

On that night I was truly touched by what a funny, sincere and happy man Terry was.

Its such a shame that this great man has passed away. In life you meet many people. Some dont leave an impact....Some, will stay with you forever.

Terry i never saw you play. But i am honoured that i met you.

RIP

Like many have already said, i never saw him play, due to my age, but i know from what i have read and heard, he was a great great player,  and will be missed greatly.R.I.P Terry Bly

As with a lot of messages left on here, I am sadly way too young to remember Terry Bly. But I have heard many stories about this City Legend from my Dad and Grandad. He will be sadly missed and from all accounts was a true gentleman. My thoughts are with his family at this time

In 1959 I was seven.  We weren''t a football family and I''d never heard of the Canaries.  So I didn''t really understand what was happening but I knew it was  important and that I wanted to be part of it.  I even looked forward to going to school, where there was a constant buzz of excitement mixed with disbelief which grew and grew as we got nearer and nearer to Wembley.

Eventually the whole nation was gripped by it, and we didn''t need today''s wall to wall media coverage to realise that we were the centre of attention.  One old boy described it thus: "Thass the biggest thing wass happened here since the ''Mericans cum" (the US Air Force, who arrived in East Anglia in 1942 and never went home).

When we lost in the semifinal I was inconsolable.  No more Canaries, it was all over.  I didn''t realise there was football every week! 

Terry, I never saw you play but you and your teammates made me a City fan for life.  Thanks a million (I think . . .[:D]

You did us proud, may you rest in peace.

I can only reciprocate what some others have said, before my time. But the man is clearly a legend, in the true meaning of the word. The fact that he also holds such status at my second team, Posh, reinforces this. Rest in peace Terry.

It''s sad news indeed. Like many others who have posted Terry Bly''s time as a legend came before mine as a fan. But his name is engraved for ever in the proud history of our beloved football club.

Although it came later with Peterborough, I very much doubt if his record of scoring 52 goals in a post war season will ever be beaten.

RIP Terry Bly.

Scored in the first game I saw (at Hull) but - sadly - can remember nothing about the game, apart from that we played in red.Bye, Bye, Bly.RIP.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Not being very good until the 59 cup run then the ability to out run defenders with ease during the run and until we sold him to Peterborough![/quote]

If he was 73 when he died he could only have been 22 or 23 during the Cup run - a young player who was just coming to the boil.  As kids we didn''t realise this of course.

I am old enough to remember the 59 cup run, the part Terry Bly played in it and what it meant to the city at that time. I was a 17 year old lad and will always remember the fever it produced. I have all the programmes for the home and away games from the cup run and sometimes still look through them. It''s not always good to keep looking back to the past but when a legend like Terry passes on it''s a good time to rememeber.

RIP Terry Bly an all time great 

[quote user="Herman "]

It''s a bit late but Terry Bly''s obituary was in todays Independent.It makes for a nice read.Hopefully the link works;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/terry-bly-strong-and-brave-striker-who-holds-the-postwar-record-for-most-league-goals-in-a-season-1797782.html

[/quote]

Thanks for that Herman.

A good write-up on a great player and it''s the first one I''ve seen in a national newspaper.