Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Can Gunn claim British football record?

First manager to be sacked after one league game in the season.

And further - does The Guiness Book of World Records beckon?

Come to think of it, when things settle down he should be able to dine out on that for a while.

Maybe that the silver lining to his cloud.

OTBC

[quote user="Trent Canary"]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/Bryan-Gunn-and-the-quickest-ever-managerial-sackings-article114791.html[/quote]

According to this then, the answer depends  upon whether or not both of Paul Sturrock''s games were league matches.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Come to think of it, when things settle down he should be able to dine out on that for a while.

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t think the Guiness Book of World Records would be in the slightest bit interested.  I think their records would be based on overall time in charge so Gunn would be nowhere near the shortest reign as a manager.

Also i think fewer and fewer people on here are interested and have had enough of dragging the same old boring rubbish about Gunn!!

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t think the Guiness Book of World Records would be in the slightest bit interested.  I think their records would be based on overall time in charge so Gunn would be nowhere near the shortest reign as a manager.

Also i think fewer and fewer people on here are interested and have had enough of dragging the same old boring rubbish about Gunn!!

[/quote]

In that case the thread will sink without a trace - despite your help.

But then it might be less boring than the Walsall match apparently.

OTBC

"1 game?........Hmm?"

Wizard... he has ignored basic facts, to push an otherwise stupid and pathetic agenda, for the sake of attention seeking.

.... and that doesn''t sound familiar? ;)

Peter Cormack was sacked after ten days in charge and despite his team Cowdenbeath having played zero minutes football under his tenure.Gunn with more than twenty matches as manager is some way behind Cormack in the record books.

Wasn''t there a funny pre-season at Leicester one year where they appointed Megson who then left for Bolton and replaced him and then sacked the new manager before a ball had really been kicked in anger?

[quote user="First Jedi"]"1 game?........Hmm?" Wizard... he has ignored basic facts, to push an otherwise stupid and pathetic agenda, for the sake of attention seeking. .... and that doesn''t sound familiar? ;)[/quote]

Which facts?

What agenda?

Dear oh dear.

Bring it on!

OTBC

[quote user="First Jedi"]"1 game?........Hmm?" Wizard... he has ignored basic facts, to push an otherwise stupid and pathetic agenda, for the sake of attention seeking. .... and that doesn''t sound familiar? ;)[/quote]

Which facts?

What agenda?

Dear oh dear.

Bring it on!

OTBC

[/quote]

Meaningless gibberish but another chance to bump your own thread

Dear oh dear

And you pontificate about other peoples'' post counts

...............while the world and his wife look on

A couple of seasons back, Carlisle won their first league game of the season.

Their manager was promptly sacked.

Considerably more impressive than losing 7-1 and going!

[quote user="Buckethead"]Peter Cormack was sacked after ten days in charge and despite his team Cowdenbeath having played zero minutes football under his tenure.Gunn with more than twenty matches as manager is some way behind Cormack in the record books.[/quote]Steve Claridge lasted 30 days of preseason with Millwall one year.  They had 9 further managers that season, including 2 caretakers who refused the job, and were relegated.  Thats got to go down as one of the worst board preformances ever!  Theo Pathetis from Dragons Den was chairman at the time.

So does anyone know the answer to Babes'' latest riddle?

You see it really is as straight forward as it reads. It''s not his first game but the clubs first game of the season.

Has anyone found another manager who was sacked after one league game in the season? Good try with Rosenoir''s 10 minutes but that doesn''t include any games so it won''t count. Good try with Sturrock but those two games were Premiership games. So Gunny probably is the first manager to be sacked after the first game of the season.

As for the Guiness Book of World Records? The world is a big place and football''s been around for a long time, anyone game for that research? Maybe if the world and his wife are looking in they''d be up for it.

Gunny is probably our clubs fastest managerial sacking though. Can anyone think of a manager who lasted less than 20 games and got the bullet? George Swindin lasted 20 games before he resigned and Martin O''Neill 21 games before he walked.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]A couple of seasons back, Carlisle won their first league game of the season. Their manager was promptly sacked. Considerably more impressive than losing 7-1 and going![/quote]

Sorry CanaryJames - I didn''t see this. Well done mate[Y]

And here''s the report complete with the compulsory knee jerk denial[;)]

To my knowledge he never managed again... will Gunny?

[quote user="CanaryJames"]A couple of seasons back, Carlisle won their first league game of the season. Their manager was promptly sacked. Considerably more impressive than losing 7-1 and going![/quote]

Sorry CanaryJames - I didn''t see this. Well done mate[Y]

And here''s the report complete with the compulsory knee jerk denial[;)]

To my knowledge he never managed again... will Gunny?

Nutty - just seems to be like you are redefining the "rules" to be as close to the situation in order to make what becomes a meaningless point;

Yes... Bryan Gunn does hold the record for being the first manager, called Bryan Gunn to be sacked by a yellow shirt wearing club on the second game of the season, were only one of those games was a league game, while being bald, patting his head and rubbing his tummy, with some drunk midgets on a wednesday.

For this, Gunny holds the Guiness World Record best EVA, with a cherry on top...

[quote user="First Jedi"]Nutty - just seems to be like you are redefining the "rules" to be as close to the situation in order to make what becomes a meaningless point; Yes... Bryan Gunn does hold the record for being the first manager, called Bryan Gunn to be sacked by a yellow shirt wearing club on the second game of the season, were only one of those games was a league game, while being bald, patting his head and rubbing his tummy, with some drunk midgets on a wednesday. For this, Gunny holds the Guiness World Record best EVA, with a cherry on top...[/quote]

If you think it''s a meaningless point then take it up with the riddler and not me.

John Bond was the first Norwich manager with the same name as a street on the Monopoly board to sign a player who''d scored in a World Cup Final while the world and his wife were watching.

Stick that in yer Guiness Book of Records[8-|]

"If you think it''s a meaningless point then take it up with the riddler and not me."

I know, I know, I just enjoyed making the rebuttal! :D

Oops..seems they didn''t win after all. But they didn''t get an absolute thumping! I''d say a draw was an ok result to be going on with...

Very odd decision that was. Especially as Joe Garner turned out to be a very decent player for them.

[quote user="missing in action?"]rosenior holds the shortest managerial reign.
about 35 minutes
he was appointed at torquay, then a consortium came in a few minutes after and then sacked him.

10 mins!

[/quote]I think he''s more likely to be in the running for "Cruddiest Manager", "Most Short Sighted Managerial Appointment" and "Worst Use of Facebook".

I''ll warrant that tackling this little question/riddle was far more interesting than watching most of that Walsall match - except of course for that insider fella.

[:P]

OTBC

[quote user="First Jedi"]Nutty - just seems to be like you are redefining the "rules" to be as close to the situation in order to make what becomes a meaningless point; Yes... Bryan Gunn does hold the record for being the first manager, called Bryan Gunn to be sacked by a yellow shirt wearing club on the second game of the season, were only one of those games was a league game, while being bald, patting his head and rubbing his tummy, with some drunk midgets on a wednesday. For this, Gunny holds the Guiness World Record best EVA, with a cherry on top...[/quote]

Sir Bobby Robson characterised Gazza as ''daft as a brush''.

But at least Gazza has a sense of humour and could play football sublimely.

OTBC