Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

HT: Norwich City res 4 Southend Res 0

just back from tonight''s game and thought id share my views:Theo - flapped at one cross, pulled off one good save right at the end but looked shaky and appeared to have little confidence and was out of position for a couple of free kicks that if on target he wouldnt have gotfranchomb - very impressed with this lad and really looks like one for the future, made a couple of mistakes as all youth team players do but recovered and won the ball back. good going forward and put some good crosses instephens - god hes tall and reserve captain. looked assured although got caught under the ball a couple of times but definitely one for the futuredoc - won everything as you would expect and strolled through the game which made it hard to judge against an under 18 team + dougie freedmanhabergham - same as franchomb and reminded me of a young drurywhaley - first half shocking, improved in second half playing right in front of dug outs with crooky shouting at him lots, putting some good crosses in and a well taken free kickrussell - put himself about was a little sloppy at the start but got more and more into it, was impressed with his attitudewes - always wanted the ball, sometimes too much calling for it when marked or no space which created some problems, played some lovely balls through but and for me this is what stops him being in the first team gave the ball away far too much with sloppy passing or trying to beat them all instead of making easy lay offs to the winger or shootingmartin - very impressed with his form and attitude and for me would be the one pushing jamie for a start, took his goal well, worked hard and looked a different player compared to the one before luton - my MOMcody - tried hard and made some good runs but never looked like scoring, confidence seems gone looking to pass or cut back rather than shoot and looked like what he is a young man learning the gamemaric - was fairly impressed compared to the jpt game where i wondered if he was actually a footballer!!!! fitness improved lots since last week, first touch was loads better and was putting the workrate in right until the last minutesubsdumic for russell - played the holding role, thought he was a CB?looked too clumsy to play midfield but hard to judge as out of positiondawkin for martin - very quick, direct but lots to learnbrindley for franchomb - not on long enoughall in all an enjoyable game to watch but hard to judge properly considering the oppo although it was apparent that none of the youth players would be ready for first team action for quite a while

I went tonight and I have to say we did play some really good football but it also has to be said that Southend were absolutely shocking. How it was only 5-0 is a bit of a mystery.You can only beat what''s in front of you though and I enjoyed it so much more than Saturday.

Hopefully Theo will gave gained lots of confidence from that last minute save and the clean sheet.

Whaley looked a decent player pre-season but it seems to have gone to pot for him as of late.

Id start with Martin on saturday, yes he may be like Holt but he isn''t scared to have a shot and has a decent shot on him at that.

Glad Maric played better, he looked poor in the JPT match.Hopefully he can build on this now.

And for the young lads, a good runout :)

Lads, when you say Theo ''flapped'' at one cross, did he miss it/punch it/prod it/etc?! And also how was his general kicking/distribution and handling? Cant imagine he had a lot to do to be fair!

Unfortunately I couldn''t make the game tonight which is a shame as I usually go to reserve games and we had a strong side out. Typical really.

Nice to see that some of the lads who probably need a confidence boost got their names on the scoresheet, even if it was against fairly weak opposition.

Theo came out for a corner went to punch it and completely missed it didnt even get close to it. his kicking reminded me of Marshall occasionally ie out of touch and towards the smallest striker although sometimes he got good distance. caught a couple of backpasses to loud ironc cheers but aprt from the one save at the end didnt really have anything else to doforgot to mention on my other post the crowd - 921

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]just back from tonight''s game and thought id share my views:

Theo - flapped at one cross, pulled off one good save right at the end but looked shaky and appeared to have little confidence and was out of position for a couple of free kicks that if on target he wouldnt have got

franchomb - very impressed with this lad and really looks like one for the future, made a couple of mistakes as all youth team players do but recovered and won the ball back. good going forward and put some good crosses in

stephens - god hes tall and reserve captain. looked assured although got caught under the ball a couple of times but definitely one for the future

doc - won everything as you would expect and strolled through the game which made it hard to judge against an under 18 team + dougie freedman

habergham - same as franchomb and reminded me of a young drury

whaley - first half shocking, improved in second half playing right in front of dug outs with crooky shouting at him lots, putting some good crosses in and a well taken free kick

russell - put himself about was a little sloppy at the start but got more and more into it, was impressed with his attitude

wes - always wanted the ball, sometimes too much calling for it when marked or no space which created some problems, played some lovely balls through but and for me this is what stops him being in the first team gave the ball away far too much with sloppy passing or trying to beat them all instead of making easy lay offs to the winger or shooting

martin - very impressed with his form and attitude and for me would be the one pushing jamie for a start, took his goal well, worked hard and looked a different player compared to the one before luton - my MOM

cody - tried hard and made some good runs but never looked like scoring, confidence seems gone looking to pass or cut back rather than shoot and looked like what he is a young man learning the game

maric - was fairly impressed compared to the jpt game where i wondered if he was actually a footballer!!!! fitness improved lots since last week, first touch was loads better and was putting the workrate in right until the last minute

subs

dumic for russell - played the holding role, thought he was a CB?looked too clumsy to play midfield but hard to judge as out of position

dawkin for martin - very quick, direct but lots to learn

brindley for franchomb - not on long enough

all in all an enjoyable game to watch but hard to judge properly considering the oppo although it was apparent that none of the youth players would be ready for first team action for quite a while

[/quote]

Good post Matt.. it was much as I saw it but I''d add..

Theo''s distribution when throwing the ball was first class.

Russell did nothing outstanding but the midfield lost shape for a while when he went off.

Hoolahan gave his all and is dangerous in the last third but a liability deeper through holding on to the ball for too long.

Maric showed some good touches and made some good passes but just seems to lack pace. I''d persevere with him for sure.

My personal highlight was blaming Freedman for losing the Doc for his goal. Of course it may well not have been him who should have tracked Doc but after all those defeats at the Croydon Tip imagining it was Freedman gave me an immense sense of well being[;)]

I agree, a very realistic summary from Matt. For me the most noticeable feature was the creativity in midfield (mising on Saturday) as a result of Wes'' presence. We lacked invention on Saturday - for me Wes should always be in the ''18''. I expect he will be gone before long but that, imo, is a very bad decision on Mr Lambert''s part.

Not sure that Chris Martin was MOTM but I like the way he always tries to do something positive when he has the ball & I, too, would have him in my starting 11.   

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]

I agree, a very realistic summary from Matt. For me the most noticeable feature was the creativity in midfield (mising on Saturday) as a result of Wes'' presence. We lacked invention on Saturday - for me Wes should always be in the ''18''. I expect he will be gone before long but that, imo, is a very bad decision on Mr Lambert''s part.

Not sure that Chris Martin was MOTM but I like the way he always tries to do something positive when he has the ball & I, too, would have him in my starting 11.   

[/quote]

Will Dick Barton, Snowy and Jock be able to rescue Wesley Hoolahan from the clutches of the Reserve Team and take him to a place of safety?

Cue title music: Devil''s Ride.

This post is aimed at older readers.....................[;)]

Watford were there (as were Colchester) so who knows?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Will Dick Barton, Snowy and Jock be able to rescue Wesley Hoolahan from the clutches of the Reserve Team and take him to a place of safety?

[/quote]Or will it be sophisticated Paul Temple and his plucky wife Steve? Of course, in those innocent radio days one never wondered about a chap having a wife called Steve. Now, however...

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]I heard Watford were looking into Russel, also Cam did Colchester disband their scouts last season?[/quote]

Yes he fired them - which is not to mention the team coach driver because "I don''t like his personality" although previous managers had survived it and, yes, he did come from Mile End and had done it for 15 years - so there we are.

I''ve come to the conclusion that we are WAY too small for the Big Billy Thingies stuff and I don''t think I want it anyway.

Lambert did good things for ColWho?  He came in, shored up a useless defence, and brought in some good players, some of which worked, some of which didn''t.  Usual rules, I would say. 

Roeder got in some good players but then didn''t know what to with them.  Lambo got in some good players this end but didn''t know how to manage them.

Score draw?

I saw an absolutely different team A Southampton last Saturday - a team unafraid to take risks after a man down at 36.

I could post what I posted but then City Angel would tell me I don''t also post on a Colchester Board.[+o(][;)]

We have a long way to go, both of us.  Next May in fact.  

Just as many of you feel liberated by the ditching of Gunn I feel liberated by Lambo jumping ship.

Funny old game football.[:P] 

Or will it be sophisticated Paul Temple and his plucky wife Steve? Of course, in those innocent radio days one never wondered about a chap having a wife called Steve. Now, however...[/quote

Now you come to mention it Dick Barton, Snowy and Jock were "remarkably" close,

Makes you wonder?  Didn''t then but does now.

[:|]

Or will it be sophisticated Paul Temple and his plucky wife Steve? Of course, in those innocent radio days one never wondered about a chap having a wife called Steve. Now, however...[/quote

[/quote]Too much Radio 7 is bad for you Cam. You''ll be saying next that Poirot and Hastings do more than play chess together. Or that Colchester once really did beat a top flight Leeds 3-1. Get to bed earlier is my advice - you can always hum the Coronation Scot to yourself in your head before the Horlicks does its stuff...!

[quote user="Largey"]Hopefully Theo will gave gained lots of confidence from that last minute save and the clean sheet. Whaley looked a decent player pre-season but it seems to have gone to pot for him as of late. Id start with Martin on saturday, yes he may be like Holt but he isn''t scared to have a shot and has a decent shot on him at that. Glad Maric played better, he looked poor in the JPT match.Hopefully he can build on this now. And for the young lads, a good runout :)[/quote]

Martin may be like Holt?

Chris Martin is a vey different forward to the others in our squad. He prefers to play deaper, picking the ball up from the mid-field and using his creativity. He works well wide in a front three, but IMO would be better just off Holt in a 442. Lambert appears to prefer playing Holt alongside a more advanced forward, looking for the ball over the top, which isn''t Martin''s game.

[/quote]

. . . and of course "Norman and Henry Bones, the boy detectives". . . .Henry was really a woman [;)]

What about Hancock,Sid and Bill in Hancocks half hour.

Morecome and Wise in bed together.

Oh the days when you never (well I didn''t) even thought it wasn''t inocent[:D]

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]just back from tonight''s game and thought id share my views:

Theo - flapped at one cross, pulled off one good save right at the end but looked shaky and appeared to have little confidence and was out of position for a couple of free kicks that if on target he wouldnt have got

franchomb - very impressed with this lad and really looks like one for the future, made a couple of mistakes as all youth team players do but recovered and won the ball back. good going forward and put some good crosses in

stephens - god hes tall and reserve captain. looked assured although got caught under the ball a couple of times but definitely one for the future

doc - won everything as you would expect and strolled through the game which made it hard to judge against an under 18 team + dougie freedman

whaley - first half shocking, improved in second half playing right in front of dug outs with crooky shouting at him lots, putting some good crosses in and a well taken free kick

russell - put himself about was a little sloppy at the start but got more and more into it, was impressed with his attitude

wes - always wanted the ball, sometimes too much calling for it when marked or no space which created some problems, played some lovely balls through but and for me this is what stops him being in the first team gave the ball away far too much with sloppy passing or trying to beat them all instead of making easy lay offs to the winger or shooting

martin - very impressed with his form and attitude and for me would be the one pushing jamie for a start, took his goal well, worked hard and looked a different player compared to the one before luton - my MOM

cody - tried hard and made some good runs but never looked like scoring, confidence seems gone looking to pass or cut back rather than shoot and looked like what he is a young man learning the game

maric - was fairly impressed compared to the jpt game where i wondered if he was actually a footballer!!!! fitness improved lots since last week, first touch was loads better and was putting the workrate in right until the last minute

subs

dumic for russell - played the holding role, thought he was a CB?looked too clumsy to play midfield but hard to judge as out of position

all in all an enjoyable game to watch but hard to judge properly considering the oppo although it was apparent that none of the youth players would be ready for first team action for quite a while

[/quote]

Did Cody not look like scoring when he scored?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]

[/quote]

Watford were there (as were Colchester) so who knows?

[/quote]

Sod off you tedious old hack.

[quote user="The Butler"]

What about Hancock,Sid and Bill in Hancocks half hour.

Morecome and Wise in bed together.

Oh the days when you never (well I didn''t) even thought it wasn''t inocent[:D]

[/quote]

I was fooled as well.  Those days aren''t coming back, that''s for certain.[:(]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

subs

[/quote]

Did Cody not look like scoring when he scored?

[/quote]Well.. it took a huge deflection and was probably an own goal but if you don''t shoot you don''t score.

Still..... Keep the faith in Cody is my motto [Y]

No Jim as his shot, which was not on target took a massive deflection deceiving their keeper and ending up in the back of the bet hence being an OG. as i said his confidence seemed low as he looked scared to pull the trigger instead trying to cut back inside or pass to someone else

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]No Jim as his shot, which was not on target took a massive deflection deceiving their keeper and ending up in the back of the bet hence being an OG. as i said his confidence seemed low as he looked scared to pull the trigger instead trying to cut back inside or pass to someone else
[/quote]

Fair enough. I still have high hopes for Cody and our lack of pace without him in the side (or more accurately with Curo partnering Holt)  pains me greatly as does the lack of creativity without Hoolahan even on the bench!

I agree i would definitely have hoolihan on the bench but i think he proved to Lambert last night that, although he had good touches and a good ranging of passing, the amount of times he gave the ball away by trying to do to much instead of laying the easy ball, which in turn against superior opposition would leave us extremely vunerable, that you cant play him as a CM. I wouldnt mind him playing off Holt as long as he learnt how to pass the bloody ball, which for me puts mcveigh ahead of him and i dont think you can play both. As for Cody he needs a goal desperately and i think Lambert is doing the right thing by using him for the last half an hour when defenders are tiring, which leaves Martin or Curo. I would give Martin a chance of a run of games but i think his best position is playing on the left of a three which means we would have to change formation which im sure Lambert wont do, so we may not see his best, if that makes sense???? which leaves Curo of which i dont think hes done too badly and i know i am in the minority but if we are playing 2 up front would be my choice as he has a good understanding with Holt and makes some good runs pulling defenders wide leaving space for Holt to manipulate