Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

One combination up front we're still to see...

I hope i''m not wrong here but i don''t think we''ve see WLY up front with Holt.

We all remember some of his best days in the yellow and green were up front with big Iwan. It''s a familiar chestnut that we can and have discussed til the cow''s come home, just like with Huckerby on the wing. He leaves his full back exposed at times. Could his attacking instincts could be better harnessed up front off a holding striker. How about it PL?

Wow! What an original idea! Surprisingly nobody hasn''t thought of this, and have expressed it 100s of times till now....

(sorry - being Mr. Cynical today, but honestly, this idea has been mooted in every formation thread, many times)

I sure hope you program better than you read!

(mind you, i can''t write very well either judging by the last bit!)

"I sure hope you program better than you read!"

How''d remember I was a programmer!? Good memory! And yeah, I certainly do! :)

And I agree with your initial post... would be interesting to see.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure he''s got the legs and pace to play up front now[/quote]He''s probably got more pace and certainly more guile than Holt''s current partner up front!

[quote user="First Jedi"]"I sure hope you program better than you read!" How''d remember I was a programmer!? Good memory! And yeah, I certainly do! :) And I agree with your initial post... would be interesting to see.[/quote]

It was only yesterday or the day before when i answered a post of yours saying i''d be a rubbish programmer! One remembers such rudeness! Especially when it''s true!
A friend of mine who''s a programmer has always tried to convince me that it''s really very easy. But he is the type who would solve mathematical problems at school before the teacher, without even trying. And would get 100% in all maths exams and wonder why no-one else could. So him telling me programming is easy is a bit like Stephen Hawking telling me quantam physics is a walk in the park!

Anyway, OT alert! I agree with the poster that pointed out that WLY can''t be any slower than his current favoured striker partner. I haven''t really seen enough of Maric to form an opinion on him as a possible option, but from what i''ve heard, of all Gunn''s signings, he sounds like he may have been the least astute, signed up on the strength of a few goals pre-season against a few Scots!

Programming is more about patterns, algorithms and algebra, so you don''t have to be good at maths per se... for example, being good at addition and multiplication is effectively useless.

Who are you going to play right wing, Whaley? As Whaley has been one of the least impressive of the summer signings, in fact he was been pretty awful imo.

McVeigh played up front to great effect with Neilson in the play-off season. I think it''s a good shout because he''s a tricky player and the further up the pitch he receives the ball the more he can hurt the opposition with those tricks. The worry is lack of pace. I''d be tempted to give Daley another shot. He looked lightweight against Sunderland but we don''t play them every week.

I''m not a fan of playing both Lappin and McVeigh wide because I don''t see us with enough pace to get beyond the full backs. So that''s another good reason to give McVeigh another go up top. If I remember rightly it''s his preferred position anyway.

the beast   semi         spillane         askou        drury

smith       hughes        adeyemi/rusty     lappin

mcveigh

holtsubs: theo, nelson, mcdonald, curo, tudur jones, whaley, dumic,

Or perhaps just leave him on the right where he is doin ok and put Martin or MacDonald up front with Holt where they bloody well should be?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m not a fan of playing both Lappin and McVeigh wide because I don''t see us with enough pace to get beyond the full backs. So that''s another good reason to give McVeigh another go up top. If I remember rightly it''s his preferred position anyway.

[/quote]

While McVeigh and Lappin may not have enough pace to get beyond full backs, they both have the ability to put in really good crosses. They may not outpace their defending players to have acres of space for a cross but I''ve been more than pleased with the deliveries that our two wingers are able to put in by only giving themselves half a yard space. Just need more people in the middle getting on the end of them. That''s just my opinion of course but I have no qualms with McVeigh and Lappin playing in the same team.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

McVeigh played up front to great effect with Neilson in the play-off season. I think it''s a good shout because he''s a tricky player and the further up the pitch he receives the ball the more he can hurt the opposition with those tricks. The worry is lack of pace. I''d be tempted to give Daley another shot. He looked lightweight against Sunderland but we don''t play them every week.

[/quote]

Daley would be my first choice to play alongside Holt upfront (at the moment) too Nutty... [Y]

I think from what I have seen of him, he looks like he could be a real asset to us.  He has skill, pace and has a more physical presence than MacDonal, Hoolahan or McVeigh (so am sure he would be able to help Holt in holding the ball up and winning things in the air).  I just think that Daley needs to be given a run of a few games upfront to see if if he can get on the scoresheet which may bring his confidence on in leaps and bounds.

I think that unless we sign another player down the right side, whether that be a defender to replace Ostomebor or somebody that will work their nads off to help Ostomebor out defensively (as McVeigh has been doing) then we would be leaving ourselves far too open down the righ hand side if we were to give McVeigh a shot upfront.

[quote user="a1canary"]I like the look of that MIA, i really do...[/quote]

Yes good line up MIA... I forgot about putting young Korey out on the right (if Russell or Adeyemi can come up with the goods consistently in the centre of the park it is a good idea).

Not so sure about a couple of players that you have on the subs bench though.

MIA... no Hoolahan? I know it is looking likely that he will leave, but I would play him behind Holt.

Korey played out on the right at the end of last season and looked a little lost, not sure we can utilise his talents out there.