Sign in to follow this  
@NYCANARIES

New York Canaries

Games in the middle of a work day usually attract the usual NY''ers. Between  10-12. A dedicated bunch of folks risking their jobs to watch City lose! Always a couple of people in town on vacation from Norwich too usually.

I was recently in America for 3 weeks (travelled right across New York - L.A. via tennesee, alabama, new orleans, texas, vegas etc) and was amazed at just how big the game of ''soccer'' is getting over there..of course as soon as they noticed my english accent they asked if I liked soccer and which out of the ''Big Four'' I supported...to my amazement when I declared I supported ''a small local team 2 divisions below'' I would say atleast 50% of the people knew who Norwich were, whether thats to do with the huckerby connection I don''t know but certaintly in terms of sports, ''soccer'' is now up there with the main sports (NBA, NHL, Major League etc) in terms of the coverage it gets!

ESPN did 300,000 last weekend for a 7.45 am game. It is growing very quickly here. But not the MLS, people don''t want that as it''s a poor product, they want the EPL.

[quote user="The Lord"]I was recently in America for 3 weeks (travelled right across New York - L.A. via tennesee, alabama, new orleans, texas, vegas etc) and was amazed at just how big the game of ''soccer'' is getting over there..of course as soon as they noticed my english accent they asked if I liked soccer and which out of the ''Big Four'' I supported...to my amazement when I declared I supported ''a small local team 2 divisions below'', whether thats to do with the huckerby connection I don''t know but certaintly in terms of sports, ''soccer'' is now up there with the main sports (NBA, NHL, Major League etc) in terms of the coverage it gets!
[/quote]

I would say atleast 50% of the people knew who Norwich were

I think it is because I wear my NCFC shirt on game days. [:P]

Good Luck to you sir.  Must get an Atlantic summit together sometime (there are now a whopping 6 of us), NY is our closest point of civilisation.

OTBC, Bermuda Canaries

[quote user="The Lord"]I was recently in America for 3 weeks (travelled right across New York - L.A. via tennesee, alabama, new orleans, texas, vegas etc) and was amazed at just how big the game of ''soccer'' is getting over there..of course as soon as they noticed my english accent they asked if I liked soccer and which out of the ''Big Four'' I supported...to my amazement when I declared I supported ''a small local team 2 divisions below'' I would say atleast 50% of the people knew who Norwich were, whether thats to do with the huckerby connection I don''t know but certaintly in terms of sports, ''soccer'' is now up there with the main sports (NBA, NHL, Major League etc) in terms of the coverage it gets!
[/quote]

Its cause i`m getting the word out over here in Tennessee, everyone i used to work with (in a call center) know who City are. There was about 900 people working there on days and nights, and I done both shifts in two years, even had some round mine to watch the games when we was on tv over here (which was not that much, but any little helps) They all said thats there new 2nd team, as there football comes first  !!!!

And there I was sat in my NY hotel room a couple of Monday''s ago cursing because I was missing the Sunderland match. Who knew that a couple of dozen blocks away was the home of the New York Canaries?

At least I didn''t miss a classic I suppose.....

I was wearing my New York Canaries T-Shirt at Yankee Stadium 2 weeks ago and a lot of people recognized the Canary logo. You also see alot of Man U shirts out at US sporting events, though. Doing my part to balance it out, I guess.

What beers are available at George Keeleys? Any decent ales? New York is a place I''ve never visited, but I''d love to see some time soon. It strikes me as an American city with real character and a proper centre, unlike LA or Las Vegas.

I made a special visit to the bar in August. It was great to see the signed shirts and posters in the bar but was disappointed that that the bar staff working that day didn''t seem to know much about Norwich or appreciate just how big an effort we made to get there.

Hi,

First Staplehurst then the beers. I''m sorry the staff were not as Norwich-literate as they could have been. Its a busy bar and out of the 10 or so barstaff you might find working over the course of a week, I''d say 5-6 of them do know Norwich and would have been able to chat about the Supporters Club a bit more. Seems like you came in on a bad night for that. Next time you or any other Norwich folk come on over, drop an e-mail to info@nycanaries.com letting us know when you''ll be in and we will see if we can stop by for a meet.

As far as the beers in Keeleys, they update their site roughly every week, and listed on tap right now are, in addition to the Cask of real ale which changes each week. They also have about 20-30 different bottled beers available.

Guinness, Smithwicks, Victory Prima Pils, Wheinstephan Weissbier, Blue Point Double Blonde, Sly Fox Palisades Pale Ale,

Speak Easy Untouchable Pale, Dogfish Head 60 min IPA, Dogfish Head 90 min IPA, Speak Easy Double Daddy, Leffe Blonde, Delerium Tremens, Original Sin Cider, Brooklyn Lager, Ithaca Apricot Wheat

Speak Easy Prohibition, Anchor Summer

Gaffel Kolsch, Dogfish Head Punkin

Smithwicks, Hoegaarden

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]Hi, First Staplehurst then the beers. I''m sorry the staff were not as Norwich-literate as they could have been. Its a busy bar and out of the 10 or so barstaff you might find working over the course of a week, I''d say 5-6 of them do know Norwich and would have been able to chat about the Supporters Club a bit more. Seems like you came in on a bad night for that. Next time you or any other Norwich folk come on over, drop an e-mail to info@nycanaries.com letting us know when you''ll be in and we will see if we can stop by for a meet. As far as the beers in Keeleys, they update their site roughly every week, and listed on tap right now are, in addition to the Cask of real ale which changes each week. They also have about 20-30 different bottled beers available. Guinness, Smithwicks, Victory Prima Pils, Wheinstephan Weissbier, Blue Point Double Blonde, Sly Fox Palisades Pale Ale, Speak Easy Untouchable Pale, Dogfish Head 60 min IPA, Dogfish Head 90 min IPA, Speak Easy Double Daddy, Leffe Blonde, Delerium Tremens, Original Sin Cider, Brooklyn Lager, Ithaca Apricot Wheat Speak Easy Prohibition, Anchor Summer Gaffel Kolsch, Dogfish Head Punkin Smithwicks, Hoegaarden[/quote]

Thanks mate, sounds very interesting. I think I could get quietly blotto (or perhaps noisily blotto) in this bar!