Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Gunn's Summer Signings

Maric - Poor player

Askou - Tidy player

Holt - Good player, might be lost at a higher level though.

Whaley - Very poor

Nelson - Still unsure, definately a League 1 player

Tudor Jones - Not impressed so far.

Wiggins - Not seen him play.

Gill - Poor

Hughes - Brings class to the team.

McVeigh - Good so far, but will his good form remain?!

Alnwick - Good keeper, but no longer our player.

Theo - Could be our worst ever keeper.

People talk about Gunn''s signings being great and how we owe him much thanks for those signings BUT i''m only happy with 3/4 of them. 3/4 out of 12 signings isn''t great actually.

Just because Gunn bought in 12 players doesn''t mean all those 12 are good players, far from it. Gunn bought a League One side in the summer, you need a league one side with several championship players in it, we don''t have that.

but i was just trying to get the point across that even the best managers don''t always get good players!

diego forlan is another example who was good before and after man utd but poor in his spell there!

Maric - Predicted: Good - Actual: Too early to judge, but not too promising

Askou - Predicted Good - Actual: GoodHolt - Predicted: Good - Actual: Very GoodWhaley - Predicted: Poor - Actual: PoorNelson - Predicted: Poor - Actual: Poor

Tudor Jones - Predicted: Poor - Actual: PoorWiggins - n/aGill - Predicted: Poor - Actual: PoorHughes - Predicted: Good - Actual: Very GoodMcVeigh - Predicted: Poor - Actual: GoodAlnwick - Predicted: OK - Actual: OKTheo - Predicted: Poor - Actual: Poor

FFS, grant holt is a good player, hard working. But he wont be great at championship level. He has proven himself up against league 2 defence, and league 1 a bit. But i dont actually think that he would score that many goals above this level!

That''s what I''m saying - Grant Holt would struggle at a higher level. However, I do like him - seems a decent hardworking bloke.

Comparing Ferguson to Gunn is a poor thing to do. You''re basically comparing the best manager that ever lived to an odd jobsman at Norwich City. It just annoys me how people bang on about how good Gunn''s singings are, but actually they aren''t that good at all. You only have to look at his choice of a number one goalkeeper.

I do think Lambert is a good manager who will get us promoted, whether it''s this season or next. However, I do think to give Gunn credit for signing 12 players, of which only 3 or 4 are any good, is a bit much.

Maric: L1/L2 - will only be judged if he is given enough games

Askou: Championship - one of our best signings this season

Holt: L1/Championship - one of our best signings this season

Whaley: L2 - doesnt look interested

Nelson: L1/L2 - doesnt look solid

Tudor Jones: L1/L2 - lanky and disorganised

Wiggins: L1/L2 - yet to prove self

Gill: L2 - looks poor

Hughes: L1/Championship - looking good

McVeigh: L1 - still tidy WLY

Alnwick: L1 - shame he''s gone

Theo: L2 - lot to do to overcome debut

and the rest...

Forster: L1 - not a permanent option

Dumic: L2 - a season or two away

Renton: Conf - get rid

Stephens: Conf - has potential

Rudd: L2/Conf - loan him out

Steer: L2 - has great potential

Doherty: L1 - high wages, but good on his day

Spillane: L1 - good player at this standard

Habergham: Conf - very young

Otsemobor: L1 - if managed correctly...

Lappin: L1 - found his level

Kelly: L2/Conf - has potential

Adeyemi: L1 - has great potential

Martin: L1 - development has slowed

Russell: Championship - either play him or get his wages off our books

Daley: L2 - unconvinced

McDonald: L1 - useful

Drury: L1/Championship - still good

Hoolahan: Championship - great - if lacking a little positional discipline and end product

Cureton: L1/L2 - past it, get him out

Lathrope: Conf - poor

Smith: L1/L2 - shows potential

For me, the strongest team on paper would be...

Forster

Spillane Askou Doherty Drury

McVeigh Hughes Russell Lappin

Holt Hoolahan

Altogether too much crap if you ask me (which, I know, you didn''y)

Maric - Predicted: Good - Actual: Not promisingAskou - Predicted: Average - Actual: GoodHolt - Predicted: Good - Actual: Very GoodWhaley - Predicted: Very Good - Actual: PoorNelson - Predicted: Average - Actual: Poor

Tudor Jones - Predicted: Very Good - Actual: PoorWiggins - Predicted: Very Good - Actual: Hasn''t playedGill - Predicted: Average - Actual: PoorHughes - Predicted: Good - Actual: Very GoodMcVeigh - Predicted: Average - Actual: GoodAlnwick - Predicted: Very Good - Actual: AverageTheo - Predicted: Good - Actual: Poor

[quote user="Brendan"]FFS, grant holt is a good player, hard working. But he wont be great at championship level. He has proven himself up against league 2 defence, and league 1 a bit. But i dont actually think that he would score that many goals above this level![/quote]

If he''s good enough to help us get out of this mess that will be great.  I don''t really care if he isn''t up to Championship level, although I suspect he could also do a job there too.  Let''s get back up there and worry about who''s good enough and who isn''t then!

absolutely pointless post as your judging every player on a a couple of games.Nelson was shocking against Colchester, but then played very well against Hartlepool and Walsall.Give them a chance, how you can say Maric is poor when weve hardly seen anything of him is a joke. Played well last night apparently.

Theo - Predicted: Good Actual: 1st game was very poorForster - Predicted: Average Actual: GoodOTJ - Predicted: Average Actual: Ok at bestGill - Predicted: Average Actual: PoorHughes - Predicted: very good Actual: very goodHolt - Predicted: very good actual: very goodMcveigh - Predicted: Good actual - goodAskou - Predicted: Average actual: GoodNelson - Predicted: average actual: OkWhaley - Predicted: Good actual: PoorMaric - Predicted: Good actual: Poor 1st gameWiggins - Predicted: Good actual: N/AForster L1/ChampTheo Conf/L2OTJ L1/L2Gill L2Hughes ChampHolt L1/ChampMcveigh L1Lappin L1Askou ChampNelson L1/L2Whaley L2Maric L1/L2Wiggins N/ACureton L2Russell ChampHoolahan  ChampRenton ConfDaley L2McDonald L1/ChampMartin L1Doc - L1/L2Spillane L1Smith L1/ChampAdeyemi L1/ChampOtsem L1

He certainly wasn''t good against Walsall and I would put the clean sheet down to Walsall''s inept ability infront of goal then praise his performance. I can''t say about the Hartlepool match as wasn''t there, but so far 2 games I have seen him play in the league campaign have been poor.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]OTJ - Predicted: AverageHughes - Predicted: very good Holt - Predicted: very good Mcveigh - Predicted: Good

[/quote]Do not believe that in the slightest to be honest...... However, in saying that, Frank Lampard is an absolute legend. 3-0 England!

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]He certainly wasn''t good against Walsall and I would put the clean sheet down to Walsall''s inept ability infront of goal then praise his performance. I can''t say about the Hartlepool match as wasn''t there, but so far 2 games I have seen him play in the league campaign have been poor.[/quote]

Believe me, at Hartlepool he scored a fantastic goal, but defending wise he was poor.  I''d love him to do well as he comes across as one of those wholehearted honest players who gives all he has.  The kindest description I can think of is "limited".  Let''s be honest, as soon as Lambert has organised a decent loan central defender the closest Nelson will get to the team is the subs bench.

The thing I don''t get about Nelson is why, like Askou always tries to pass and stop the ball with his head, does Nelson feel the need to stop the ball with his groin instead of the inside of his thighs? [*-)]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]The thing I don''t get about Nelson is why, like Askou always tries to pass and stop the ball with his head, does Nelson feel the need to stop the ball with his groin instead of the inside of his thighs? [*-)][/quote]

They breed em tough "up north"!

Why don''t you try the same exercise with Roeder''s and Grant''s signings? I think it might make Gunn''s performance look more impressive.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Why don''t you try the same exercise with Roeder''s and Grant''s signings? I think it might make Gunn''s performance look more impressive.
[/quote]

Roeder and Grant were also awful but in different ways.  However, neither of them led Norwich down into the 3rd Division - Bryan did.  Roeder took over in a worse position and kept us up - Bryan got us relegated.  Grant realised that he wasn''t cut out to be a manager and had the good grace to bow out - Gunn wasn''t cut out to be a manager but carried on, bought loads of players who got us stuffed 7-1 at home and stood on the side clueless.  Why this campaign to try to make it look like he was actually OK when he just wasn''t? 

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Maric - Poor player Askou - Tidy player Holt - Good player, might be lost at a higher level though. Whaley - Very poor Nelson - Still unsure, definately a League 1 player Tudor Jones - Not impressed so far. Wiggins - Not seen him play. Gill - Poor Hughes - Brings class to the team. McVeigh - Good so far, but will his good form remain?! Alnwick - Good keeper, but no longer our player. Theo - Could be our worst ever keeper. People talk about Gunn''s signings being great and how we owe him much thanks for those signings BUT i''m only happy with 3/4 of them. 3/4 out of 12 signings isn''t great actually. Just because Gunn bought in 12 players doesn''t mean all those 12 are good players, far from it. Gunn bought a League One side in the summer, you need a league one side with several championship players in it, we don''t have that.[/quote]

Could be our worst goalkeeper ever?

I cannot believe some of the rubbish on these boards some times.

[quote user="Destort"]

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Maric - Poor player Askou - Tidy player Holt - Good player, might be lost at a higher level though. Whaley - Very poor Nelson - Still unsure, definately a League 1 player Tudor Jones - Not impressed so far. Wiggins - Not seen him play. Gill - Poor Hughes - Brings class to the team. McVeigh - Good so far, but will his good form remain?! Alnwick - Good keeper, but no longer our player. Theo - Could be our worst ever keeper. People talk about Gunn''s signings being great and how we owe him much thanks for those signings BUT i''m only happy with 3/4 of them. 3/4 out of 12 signings isn''t great actually. Just because Gunn bought in 12 players doesn''t mean all those 12 are good players, far from it. Gunn bought a League One side in the summer, you need a league one side with several championship players in it, we don''t have that.[/quote]

Could be our worst goalkeeper ever?

I cannot believe some of the rubbish on these boards some times.

[/quote]Indeed - and on the basis of one league app...

Well the fact that Theo said after the 7-1 hammering "Yeah that was probably ONE of my worst games" alarmed me slightly. He definately didn''t perform like someone who knew his role - the same could be said for his then manager, Bryan Gunn who at 5-0 must have been wondering what the F to do.