Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

It has to be Martin, surely..

as the second striker to start alongside Holt.The Pinkun article considers the main four contenders - Curo, Cody, Martin, Maric.Is there any evidence that Curo will score? He is committed, but is a goal converter who has not yet scored.He is short of pace, and does not contribute much in other wayssCody is one for the future, is enthusiastic, but has much to learn. If he comes on after 60 minutes or so, he has pace to run tiring defences ragged.Maric takes chances well and is a big man who will not be knocked about by big defenders, but he is slow.Martin is a clinical finisher, and has actually scored this season! He seems to have matured mentally at Luton. He may not have blistering pace but he has good control.At the moment I would go for Martin, but clearly with form changes, formation changes and heavier pitches away over the winter, things could change.

[quote user="Salopian"]as the second striker to start alongside Holt.

The Pinkun article considers the main four contenders - Curo, Cody, Martin, Maric.

Is there any evidence that Curo will score? He is committed, but is a goal converter who has not yet scored.He is short of pace, and does not contribute much in other wayss

Cody is one for the future, is enthusiastic, but has much to learn. If he comes on after 60 minutes or so, he has pace to run tiring defences ragged.

Maric takes chances well and is a big man who will not be knocked about by big defenders, but he is slow.

Martin is a clinical finisher, and has actually scored this season! He seems to have matured mentally at Luton. He may not have blistering pace but he has good control.

At the moment I would go for Martin, but clearly with form changes, formation changes and heavier pitches away over the winter, things could change.
[/quote]

I don''t agree. Holt Martin and Maric are too similar (style of player not in compatancies!), therefore none of them together will  form a potent strike partnership.

You need someone to feed off the big man, and this just leaves Cody and Cureton off of the other three.

Sideshow, I am afraid IMO you are wrong. As I have posted before, Martin is very different to all of the other forwards that we have as he prefers to play deeper and to use his creativity. He is not a target man. Basically, Holt and Maric are target players, whilst Cureton and MacDonald like to play off the last defender.

I don''t think any of them are the answer and I''d hope Lambert will bring in someone a bit more proven but out of the current bunch I''d have to go with Cody.

He''s got a lot to learn but with his pace and hard work I''d fancy him to score more goals than the others. Chris Martin is a good footballer but he is not a natural goalscorer and he doesn''t give defenders enough to worry about when he''s playing upfront.

If we are going to continue to play such route one football I cant see the point of playing Cureton or Cody.  Likewise the hooligan.

I dont see Martin as a target man at all and at the moment he is def of MAric and the shorties ahead for me,  has scored and looked OK if not great when on and does deserve a chance for me.  With route one footabll why not have two larger strikers to ease the burden on Holt.

i think CM should get a run in the team as when he has played he has scored or got him self in the best places to score.

cody has missed a few guilt edged chances and i know cureton has not missed chances but the fact that he has not been able to get him self into a position to look like scoring in the last 3 games says to me he has lost that cutting edge that he once.

or i would like to see with the right formation holahan behind holt!!

SB

If Martin is to play he has to start as I can''t see him as an impact sub, i.e Cody

But at the moment anything is better than having Cureton playing.

This is obviously gonna be a topic of mass debate.  Who should partner Holt.  Well heres the stats on all of Citys striker.                                                     Starts/     Player         Competition      Appearances  GoalsGrant Holt            League                 6              2                            League Cup          2              3Cody Mcdonald   League                  2             1      3 games on as sub                            League Cup          1              0     1 game on as sub

Jamie Cureton       League                 3              0Chris Martin          League                 1              0     2 games on as sub                             Reserves              1              1                             JPT                      1              1Luke Daley           League                  1              0    2 games on as sub                            League Cup           0              0    1 game on as subGoran Maric         League Cup           0              0    1 game on as a sub                             JPT                       1              0Danny Kelly    No appearances in the first team.Wes Hoolahan       League                  3              0    1 game on as a sub                              League Cup          1              1        Technicaly Wes is not a striker and is a midfielder but        has been played up front, behind the front man and anywhere he chooses. So who will it be.  going on the stats, Cureton should not be playing up front.  he needs to be playing reserve games and be taught how to score again.  Chris Martin states a really good case by clocking up 3 goals across 3 competitions.  Cody Mac is also making a good claim to start with Holt.  Cody is clearly the fans favourite and immediatly makes an impact when he comes on.  Goran Maric is a similar player to Holt. A good target man for the long ball, big and strong but hasnt been given a chance to prove himself as a worthy consistant striker.  Again the reserves for him to get match practise.  Luke Daley and Danny kelly we know very little about, again, reserve games and late subs would be for them.  Wes Hoolahan...... I feel sorry for Wes.  He hasnt been given a role that has suited him and has been thrown around the pitch a lot.  Wes is not a striker but a very good left winger. He should be played there and told to stay there as well as instructed to get back and defend.  Hucks was the same, reluctant to get back into the hole when the ball was lost.So the question that has been put is WHO????  IMO Mcdonald should be the likely partner for Holt. With Martin on the bench.  replacing Cody in the second half.  Also Maric is the best replacement/sub for Holt. That leaves 5 substitute places for the rest of the squad.

Completely agree mate, for me it''s Cody, him and Holt look like a good pairing together and they quickly struck up an understanding with eachother.

Got to be the Doc. Scores with his head and has played up front for Norwich. Loads of football experianceam

nd able to do the dirty work in the Penalty Box. Definately the Doc!

[quote user="Metal Militia"]Sideshow, I am afraid IMO you are wrong. As I have posted before, Martin is very different to all of the other forwards that we have as he prefers to play deeper and to use his creativity. He is not a target man. Basically, Holt and Maric are target players, whilst Cureton and MacDonald like to play off the last defender.[/quote]Agreed, Chris Martin plays the same role that Rooney does (I am in no way comparing them ability wise). He can link the midfield and attack. Am yet to see this Maric fellow play so can''t comment on him. For me it has to be Cody, I just get the impression if he is given a long enough run in the first team he will score loads.

yep,fully in agreement too.Martin does look to play a la Rooney (again no comparison in ability between the two!), which in a nutshell shows something which we lack..........a footballing brain!!!Cody has pace to burn but needs a lot of coaching IMO on how best to exploit it; For a pacey striker to play off Holt, he doesnt seem to make smart runs/really know where Holt wants to play him in. Martin may not have the pace of Cody, but i do believe he is a more clinical finisher than Cureton and he is a man with a point to prove.  Like every footballer he needs to be given a run. Of the 3 main contenders (discounting Maric as he is a like for like Holt replacement if anything happens to him) , i would say Martin has been given the least chance to impress.  Give him a start playing behind Holt and preferably with two pacey,willing wingers (do we have 2?) then i really think he can do a job. If we are not going to play Hoolahan, then the next best footballing brain we have further up the pitch is Chrissy in my opinion....and Lord knows we need someone with a few ideas before we become a mid table, lump it up to a big man, 3rd division side (if we are not already :S).Either way lets hope we keep to playing football the right way, and before anyone starts talking about battling out the division etc,lets have a look at the sides that have got out of it.....Swansea, Doncaster, Leicester, Blackpool (with Hools) where certainly not hoof merchants.either way OTBC and please lets stuff the Franchisers on Monday. 

well exactly.....Hools or failing that Martin playing behind Holt. But in order for that to work we need two wingers who will push up and make runs.....

why not Mcveigh, who has more of a football brain than Martin, playing just behind Holt and then Daley/Whaley on the wing or even Otsem with Spillane at RB to give us some pace

[quote user="Salopian"]as the second striker to start alongside Holt.

The Pinkun article considers the main four contenders - Curo, Cody, Martin, Maric.

Is there any evidence that Curo will score? He is committed, but is a goal converter who has not yet scored.He is short of pace, and does not contribute much in other wayss

Cody is one for the future, is enthusiastic, but has much to learn. If he comes on after 60 minutes or so, he has pace to run tiring defences ragged.

Maric takes chances well and is a big man who will not be knocked about by big defenders, but he is slow.

Martin is a clinical finisher, and has actually scored this season! He seems to have matured mentally at Luton. He may not have blistering pace but he has good control.

At the moment I would go for Martin, but clearly with form changes, formation changes and heavier pitches away over the winter, things could change.
[/quote]

MARTIN -clinical????? is this a wind up can''t head ,not quick and misses far to many chances just another Jarvis/Henderson/Coote not good enough .Get Cody Mac in pace frightens all defenders.

I''d go with McVeigh just off Holt. Ideally, it would be Hoolahan but it is obvious he is not in Lambert''s plans.

But then, it leaves a gap right side. Watched Whaley on Tuesday and he is utter plop, so give Luke Daley a run there? Or maybe, a bit out of leftfield, Otsemobor with Spillane at right back?