Sign in to follow this  
Soldier on

Any details from last night Gunn story aside?

The main thing for me from last nights meeting with McNally and Lambert was the sincere way they came over.

The answers given to questions from the floor did not have the "pre scripted" feel to them of many previous question and answer sessions. As in the politicians "I am going to say this no matter what the question".

All were dealt with in a way that in the end made you feel that perhaps we have two people, who while they are here, will actualy bring benefit to the club and attempt to move us forward.

At lot has been said about both of them and their dour manner, I for one found them both knowledgable and when the occasion allowed humourous.

Investment was touched upon without any news of any extra. Although McNally did mention the great assistance having the new chairman and what he brought (not money) to the table.

Lambert,as all managers, is looking to improve his squad and was backed in this by McNally but they both agreed that they have a valuation of players and would not be drawn in paying inflated prices or wages.

Like many I spoke to last night, I came away feeling much more enthusiasm for the club again. As always time will tell.

[quote user="Soldier on"]Cheers Butler any news on Doc & Wes seems a waste to not even utilise them on the bench whilst we are paying wages[/quote]

Not really,just a comment that players need to learn to do what he wants.

As I said, Lambert appears to be a good manager.

To add to your piece Butler, I have to say I broadly agree with you. Lambert probably spoke like most football managers, wanting to win, spelling out his plans and recent history at other clubs. Most telling for me was his constant references to Mr O''Neill. If he''s half the manager, we will have done well to secure his services. Of course he''s only been here a short time and has had to rely (as they all do) on the previous manager''s squad.

That ain''t easy, as ours is poor, even by third division standards. Still, he seems to have a very good relationship with McNally (they speak every day) so we can only hope that any targets he has are sought immediately rather than waiting for better times/trading conditions, as has been the habit in the past. The jury remains out so far, as was commented last night. He is after younger, hungrier players and not journeymen, which is welcome news.

Best thing he said for me was that he hated the long ball game and thought the Walsall game was shocking (he used stronger language than that!).

McNally is obviously not some one to be messed around. He answered most points without a second prompting and didn''t drift off into pretty speeches, as did his predecessor. It seems no new investment is imminent - though he did remark on the fact that the Chairman was working hard on contacts in London.

Personally I am sure neither party had been present at anything like a fans'' forum before, but they will undoubtedly have to repeat it many times during their time here. Both acknowledged the potential of the fanbase and I got the impression they couldn''t believe NCFC had sold so many season tickets considering our position in the league.

Am I more enthusiastic Butler? Yes, more so since Gunn has been shown the door and yes, because it now looks as if Delia isn''t running the club on a whim any longer. But still I wonder, just how hard are the board looking for not just investment, but someone to take over from Delia and Michael, and just what it will take for them to relinquish their hold on the club.

But hey, it''s a start.

I guess the key thing is that if a proposal does come forward it will be much harder for delia & michael to bat it off without losing the support of the chairman and the chief executive. Any sudden resignations from either of those two and we will know what is going on

I agree with both The Butler and Gazza. last night foor me was reassuring, and for the first time in a number of seasons gave me some hope that this club may have a chance of turning the corner.

Both Mcnally and Lambert came across as straightforward, honest men with a clarity of purpose and a shared belief in what they want to do and how. They were both realistic about the state the club is in, both on the pitch and financially, but I did not get the impression that the task was beyond them. They were both calm and measured in their responses to questions and Lambert in particular showed a good use of humour to descalate potentially difficult issues and then get his message across.

Perhaps the most reassurance came from the fact that these two men seemed to get on and communicate well with each other. This was not just a show for the forum. I was in Yellows before the AGM. They were both in there having a meal. They appeared very relaxed and comfortable together.

[quote user="Knock off Nige"]I agree with both The Butler and Gazza. last night foor me was reassuring, and for the first time in a number of seasons gave me some hope that this club may have a chance of turning the corner. Both Mcnally and Lambert came across as straightforward, honest men with a clarity of purpose and a shared belief in what they want to do and how. They were both realistic about the state the club is in, both on the pitch and financially, but I did not get the impression that the task was beyond them. They were both calm and measured in their responses to questions and Lambert in particular showed a good use of humour to descalate potentially difficult issues and then get his message across. Perhaps the most reassurance came from the fact that these two men seemed to get on and communicate well with each other. This was not just a show for the forum. I was in Yellows before the AGM. They were both in there having a meal. They appeared very relaxed and comfortable together.[/quote]

could they be the new brady and peshcisolido ? watch this space [;)]

I do not agree with this comment "That ain''t easy, as ours is poor, even by third division standards".I suppose Monday night we will know the truth.

Thought I''d add my tuppenceworth.......

Firstly I had already seen David McNally in action at the Q & A session with Delia and MWJ at the Capital Canaries AGM a few weeks ago but I was glad to get the opportunity to see him on '' home turf ''. It was a big surprise to see him joined by Paul Lambert which had apparently been a last minute arrangement. The cynics amongst us might say that this was a clever ploy to deflect any awkward questions about the new manager with him sitting there amongst us. I was just pleased to be able to see him at his first live appearance in front of the general public. In addition to '' The Big Two '' Ricky Martin from the Academy also came along as one of the guests.

I must say I was quite impressed with Paul Lambert. There was some banter between him and the mainly English-speaking floor as to who understood each other the least but on a serious note he came across as having a steely determination to suceed here but at the same time was under no illusions as to the task facing him in sorting out the mess left behind by previous occupants of the manager''s chair. All pretty obvious really but I felt that we might now have someone here who can actually do it. Several times he said just how " massive " our Club really is and David McNally agreed. The Chief Exec seemed much more relaxed this time but that may well have been because he has now '' done the deed '' in sacking Bryan Gunn whereas the last time I saw him he was in the turmoil of Gunn being backed, publicly at least, by Delia and Michael.

As someone has mentioned on here - and I would agree - it seems that the new Chief Exec and manager are good friends as well as colleagues and this must go back to their days togerther at Celtic.  Mr McNally emphasised that he and the manager talk together at least once each day but whether that was always on official business or small talk along the lines of, " Blimey Paul, look at the jugs on that one !! " was never made clear. I was taken by how they both seemed amazed at the strength of our fan base and that we deserved much, much better in return. Mr McNally said that if it wasn''t for the fans there''d be no football club. This seemed a far cry from Glenn Roeder''s claim that the fans aren''t important.Yes, we''ve heard it all before but somehow I think there''s a bit more to it this time.

The session was conducted in a very orderly facshion with lots of articulate questions - most of which have been covered in this thread already - but the answer given by the Chief Executive to one gentleman''s impassioned stance on the brutal way Bryan Gunn was sacked made an big impression on me. Mr McNally gave a no- punches- pulled account of the events which lead up to the termination. He made no apologies and said the discussion between him and Bryan was cordial but it needed to be said. He only wished he didn''t have to do it. Admitting that he is always blunt and to the point it was clear to me that it was the Chief Exec who had brought down the curtain on Bryan Gunn''s reign and he would be as tough again in the future if it was needed. I don''t think '' touchy-feely '' vibes will cut much ice here and this is something we''ve been crying out for for some time. '' The Smiling Assassin '' perhaps ?

I wasn''t aware that the new manager has imposed new rules on casual visiting at Colney. From now on fans will only be welcome on Fridays as apparently the squad don''t do much serious preparation then. At least at Norwich we''re a far cry from some clubs where a '' no access all areas '' policy is rigidly imposed at all times.

One thing you won''t be getting is instant replies to any e-mails to the Chief Exec. Mr McNally had a swipe at his predecessor for spending too much of his time doing so. I would take it from that that we won''t be seeing too much of our new Chief Exec lurking around outside Carrow Road on match days with clipboard in hand. A pity perhaps as I think it would do more good than harm if it happened once in a while.

At one point the Chief Exec said that no manager gets it right more than six or seven times out of ten. He was talking about players of course but I couldn''t help thinking that our Board must be at the propping up the entire professional football pyramid success rate if their recent miserable record in attracting good managers is anything to go by.

All in all I think last night was a worthwhile exercise for all concerned. One very well known agitator on here - the chap with a shaved head who sat at the front, yes, you know who you are- seemed quietly impressed with the new employees. If he''s fairly happy they must be doing something right at last !

Thanks go to John Tilson for chairing the event. As John said in his closing speech of thanks to the guests that things see to be looking up right now but the question he posed to the floor was : " They can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk ? ". Clearly only time will tell on that but I have more confidence that, at last, we may have found the right Chief Exec/Manager combination. Sure, David McNally may well get a better offer and move on at some point as will surely Paul Lambert if he achieves success here and an even more '' massive '' club comes calling.

For the moment at least I think success may be on it''s way at last........

isnt he on a year rolling contract ? .... surely if norwich dont go up at first time of asking is his job safe ?.or are we going to be in the same situation as last season .with no funds and the transfer window shut. surely once again our norwich manager has his hands tied .im fairly confident the ever changing " norwich city " will continue unless enough funds are put into the club to buy players who would do the job .

gunn was not given much money and had to bring in players suited to his budget ..... not alot .

Thanks to those of you who have posted impressions of last night''s meeting for fans like me who couldn''t be there.  It''s great to get the perspective of people who would have been going with the same agenda as I would.  It''s good to hear the generally positive feedback.  I hope we can now move on from all that silly Lambert v Boothroyd rubbish that''s been going on on here.

A 12 month rolling contract by the way, is one which always has 12 months to go unless it is agreed it will be terminated on a certain date no sooner than 12 months away. It is considered good corporate governance for senior staff to be on such a contract, and I believe worthington was.

Not sure if everyone knew that or not, but might be of interest to someone.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Thought I''d add my tuppenceworth.......

[/quote]Excellent update for those of us who couldn''t be here, thank you.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Apparently, Mellissa''s not very happy.....No more sitting in the Director''s box on match-days.[/quote]She can always write some more poetry about it... or there''s a Facebook group...

Think all the points from last night have been well covered just wanted to say that like everyone else I was well impressed and am feeling much more optimistic.

Well Done McNally and Lambert, good first fans forum for you two.