Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

City: why we fired Gunn

From main page, the reasoning why Gunn was sacked, poor preparation for season and games, post game review and the pre game behaviour.

I just wondered what pre game behaviour would mean?

http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED11%20Sep%202009%2007%3A23%3A36%3A090

Who knows, what pre-game behaviour means. Perhaps will never know, but the other reasons given suggest that the sacking was just, despite his legendary status at the club in other roles. It’s a shame that postings by “Shack Attack” reach the level of the gutter.

It’s time to move on now. This difficult period is behind us. We need to get behind all of the board, old and new members, and behind the coaching and playing staff. The way to secure 3 points on Monday should be the debate for the next few days.

[quote user="Canary Renaissance"]

Who knows, what pre-game behaviour means. Perhaps will never know, but the other reasons given suggest that the sacking was just, despite his legendary status at the club in other roles. It’s a shame that postings by “Shack Attack” reach the level of the gutter.

It’s time to move on now. This difficult period is behind us. We need to get behind all of the board, old and new members, and behind the coaching and playing staff. The way to secure 3 points on Monday should be the debate for the next few days.

[/quote]

Its fairly clear what pre game behaviour means. His attitude, his communication, his methods of instilling tactics to his players, his lack of commandment, and most importantly his lack of mangerial experience. All these things will show in an inept, out of his depth manager. Gunn must have been getting it incredably wrong for the cheif exec to say that.

[quote user="Canary Renaissance"]

It’s a shame that postings by “Shack Attack” reach the level of the gutter.

[/quote]

Terribly sorry. Somebody will come on here in the next day or so and claim that ''a source close to the club'' has told them the real reason behind the sacking of Bryan Gunn. They will then proceed to tell us a complete and utter lie and get uppity when we refuse to believe them. I just thought I''d set the bar for those made up stories ridiculously high. Apologies if you were offended.

Its fairly clear what pre game behaviour means. His attitude, his communication, his methods of instilling tactics to his players, his lack of commandment, and most importantly his lack of mangerial experience. All these things will show in an inept, out of his depth manager. Gunn must have been getting it incredably wrong for the cheif exec to say that.

No doubt you are correct in most of these observations, but as I said earlier............. time to move on!

Yes it is time to move on but this has been  such a  big story it did need to be dealt with, the CE has done the right thing in bringing his opinion and reasoning to the  public  attention, he was in a good position to make an unbiased assessment having only just joined the club and I for one am prepared to accept that.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

My source says he was caught w*nking in the dressing room when he should have been devising tactics. Dirty bugger.

[/quote]

that would have been quality and  further cemented his status of club legend [:D]

Does anyone else wonder if the Board do read this MB? Could there be any connection between the posts (towards the end of last season) urging Delia to get hold of somebody to advise her on how to run a successful football club & McNally''s appointment? I remember Andy Larkin, among others, urging the hiring of an experienced professional in this role; I remember posting that, while I was certain Steve Coppell wouldn''t touch the job with a bargepole, it just might be conceivable that could be persuaded to help in some capacity. Whatever, a lot of us had got beyond the perennial witch hunt & had concluded that the best thing for the club would be the arrival of someone with the experience & the balls to sort the mess out - someone rather like McNally.I suspect he''s not really their kinda guy. I''m sure Delia & MWJ would much rather have bumbled along in their usual fashion, but this was no longer a viable option. Things were getting desperate.So, I suppose I''m just saying: were the posts on here at all influential? The timing was certainly interesting. Or, more likely, was it part of the historical dialectic? Synchronicity? The simple fact that it was plain as the collective nose on our collective faces?In years to come events will be seen with crystal clarity. It will be seen that, as always, they were totally unpredictable & completely inevitable.

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="Shack Attack"]

My source says he was caught w*nking in the dressing room when he should have been devising tactics. Dirty bugger.

[/quote]

that would have been quality and  further cemented his status of club legend [:D]

[/quote]

lol

[quote user="pinkun"]

“We want this resolved as soon as possible so we can concentration on

other things. Sometimes these things go to tribunal, but if this does

we care confident - and don''t worry about points.”

[/quote]Gunny obviously took the Pink''un''s proof reader with him when he left.

I''m very thankful Gunn was fired. Pre-game behaviour would suggest that Gunn was very amateur about the whole thing. He stunk of a manager who didn''t really have a clue what he was doing.

Very pleased he''s gone. Yes, time to move on now.

I am also not satisfied with this explanation, especially as it is all according to McNally''s point-of-view. As a long-term fan, it does matter how the club conducts its affairs and this whole situation has undermined that and will continue to do so for a long time to come, IMO.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I am also not satisfied with this explanation, especially as it is all according to McNally''s point-of-view. As a long-term fan, it does matter how the club conducts its affairs and this whole situation has undermined that and will continue to do so for a long time to come, IMO.[/quote]

Do you not think as this was stated in public forum, that if it was not correct then you would hear from BG himself refuting the reasons?

I was as surprised and pleased at the frankness shown by McNally in his reply. It did not ring of a hastily concoted reason.

The action may not sit nicely with peoples percieved view of our club, but dire situations require this type of action if the club is not to decline even more.

I still think the truth is not out in the open. i would be surprised that half the things brought against Gunn are really true His backroom staff were experienced and ex players they would have discouraged poor preparation and behaviour.

I would contend that McNally is on a mission. How can you dismiss 100 applicants for the guy just up the road ? Lambert appointment was organised way before the sacking; it was just a case of when. 7 -1 was convenient

IMO Neither have Norwich at heart but do have self interest

It may even be short term gain but I am afraid of the legacy of these 2 personally

I think the weakest part of the article was when McNally was asked WHY they continued to let Gunn spend money on players if they were so concerned about his ability to be a manager.......

To simply say "we back our manager" is weak at best.

If you DON''T believe in your manager, you DON''T back him..........especially to the tune of 12 signings and if you think that manager won''t be here much longer........ doesn''t make sense to me.

The fact is THEY (McNally/Board) approved every single signing.............. they must shoulder some of the blame if they were certain of Gunns lack of ability to manage.

[quote user="KenBrown"]I still think the truth is not out in the open. i would be surprised that half the things brought against Gunn are really true His backroom staff were experienced and ex players they would have discouraged poor preparation and behaviour. I would contend that McNally is on a mission. How can you dismiss 100 applicants for the guy just up the road ? Lambert appointment was organised way before the sacking; it was just a case of when. 7 -1 was convenient IMO Neither have Norwich at heart but do have self interest It may even be short term gain but I am afraid of the legacy of these 2 personally[/quote]

When will people get over this, Gunn was RUBBISH and needed to go, had we had our New CEO he would never had got a look in when Roedent was sacked, Delia did what she always did and we know what that is, The cheap Option, this Face book thing was a conn he had been given the job anyway, this just made it look like we chose the boss. I had a lot of respect for Gunny as a player, but his management skills Zilt,

look at it this way If Gunn was still manager would we be 10th or 23rd and that would only be because Southampton are still points adrift, I don''t think anyone can argue the fact that Lambert has done a good job so far 7pts from 9, and a feeling that we can fight for promotion, or would those Pro Gunn fans rather we go to league 2, I know what I want, And I''m very greatful McNally had the sence to act quickly on this       

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="KenBrown"]I still think the truth is not out in the open. i would be surprised that half the things brought against Gunn are really true His backroom staff were experienced and ex players they would have discouraged poor preparation and behaviour. I would contend that McNally is on a mission. How can you dismiss 100 applicants for the guy just up the road ? Lambert appointment was organised way before the sacking; it was just a case of when. 7 -1 was convenient IMO Neither have Norwich at heart but do have self interest It may even be short term gain but I am afraid of the legacy of these 2 personally[/quote]

When will people get over this, Gunn was RUBBISH and needed to go, had we had our New CEO he would never had got a look in when Roedent was sacked, Delia did what she always did and we know what that is, The cheap Option, this Face book thing was a conn he had been given the job anyway, this just made it look like we chose the boss. I had a lot of respect for Gunny as a player, but his management skills Zilt,

look at it this way If Gunn was still manager would we be 10th or 23rd and that would only be because Southampton are still points adrift, I don''t think anyone can argue the fact that Lambert has done a good job so far 7pts from 9, and a feeling that we can fight for promotion, or would those Pro Gunn fans rather we go to league 2, I know what I want, And I''m very greatful McNally had the sence to act quickly on this       

[/quote]

??? according to McNallys own explanation he didn''t act quickly enough.............by a long way.

I don''t disagree that Gunn was not the right man for the job but it still doesn''t explain why they let him go on so long if they thought he was rubbish.........

Were they just waiting for an excuse to fire him.............. if so thats very very weak.........

Would he still be here if Colchester didnt happen? If so then McNally is full of it if he claims the reasons for Gunns sacking were outside of that game.

If the reasons WERE outside of that game then he should have been fired earlier.

Why not do it pre-season, giving a new manager a chance to come in and look at the squad, while having a decent transfer window left.

But no............they let Gunn (probably) spend most of the budget, while giving Lambert very little chance to look at the squad before the transfer window closed knowing he had to sell before he could buy.

That doesn''t smack of adavanced planning by McNally/Board...............

He`s gone because he wasn`t up to  the job, we have a CE who is prepared to move away from the family culture that existed within our club, the culture that has lead to our downfall,  it`s about time some Norwich fans (together with our previous Board) stopped thnking like a bunch of  inward looking NNF`s and  said hello  to the real world.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

He`s gone because he wasn`t up to  the job, we have a CE who is prepared to move away from the family culture that existed within our club, the culture that has lead to our downfall,  it`s about time some Norwich fans (together with our previous Board) stopped thnking like a bunch of  inward looking NNF`s and  said hello  to the real world.

[/quote]

Here endeth the conversation

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]From main page, the reasoning why Gunn was sacked, poor preparation for season and games, post game review and the pre game behaviour. I just wondered what pre game behaviour would mean? http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED11%20Sep%202009%2007%3A23%3A36%3A090[/quote]

I posted something up a while back from what id heard, SDP deleted it within about 20 mins and it got 3 follow ups so im not gonna repeat it.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Thats fair enough. I don''t disagree but I also think we have to move away from the culture that every single thing wrong with the club is down to the manager..........

If we dont, we will have another 4 managers in 3 years as we continue to play the manager blame game.

I guess thats why we hand our managers rolling contacts to match the revolving doors! 

The board stuck by Gunn way too long if they didn''t think he was up to the job. Thats a fact.

The job of the board is to pre-plan for future events. They did a poor job while giving the new man little oppotunity to change things with so little of the window left. 

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

Thats fair enough. I don''t disagree but I also think we have to move away from the culture that every single thing wrong with the club is down to the manager..........

If we dont, we will have another 4 managers in 3 years as we continue to play the manager blame game.

I guess thats why we hand our managers rolling contacts to match the revolving doors! 

The board stuck by Gunn way too long if they didn''t think he was up to the job. Thats a fact.

The job of the board is to pre-plan for future events. They did a poor job while giving the new man little oppotunity to change things with so little of the window left. 

[/quote]

And there''s me thinking that the culture here is that everything''s Delia''s fault!

I really couldn''t care less what McNally comes out and says. I''m still on cloud nine that Gunn has gone and we can start being a proper football club again. You can''t run successful businesses on sentiment, which is quite clearly what the club were doing.

I would have liked an expansion on "pre-game behaviour" but not to worry, I think we all know hat it means, we just want it clarifying. Someone said earlier that it was probably like a holiday camp under Gunn, probably was. He wanted to be popular with everyone, like David Brent. Unfortunately he fell flat on his face.

[quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And there''s me thinking that the culture here is that everything''s Delia''s fault!

[/quote]

No, Delia is completely blameless.....

USA.... what would you have said if McNally sacked Gunn as soon as he was appointed due to doubts over his ability??? I''m willing to bet that you''d have been outraged if he''d acted in the manner your saying he should.

For me, he had the doubts but was willing to give Gunn a chance to prove him wrong, Gunn then sent out the side against Colchester and lost 7-1 merely confirming those doubts. He acted.

IMO McNally made the correct decisions.