Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Why was Lambert preferable to Boothroyd?

If Boothroyd went to Colchester, presumably he would have come here.

So why didn''t we just get Boothroyd?

Interesting. Has Lambert taken a club to the premiership? Does he have any managerial achievements that come close?

As impressive of taking a top team in a division to the next, and then barely getting a win and dismally dropping like a hot rock? Hmmm....

I agree that Lambert hasn''t done something as good as that... but still I don''t think Bothroyd is as good as Lambert - otherwise, as you say, we''d have gone for him. I''m glad we didn''t. Lambert has more to his game than hoof ball, although the Walsall game isn''t really helping my point any!

Agreed Jedi

Forgot to say that Lambert''s stats are the top lot, and Aidy''s are at the bottom.

McNally knows Lambert, has worked with him previously, and has probably followed his career with interest.  On that basis, he is a known quantity, and McNally probably believes that Lambert is a winner, why else would he bring him here ?

Did any other club want Boothroyd after he left Watford ?. If Paul Lambert were to leave now would we have the cheek to head hunt Boothroyd. Finally, Will Aidy Boothroyd be the "One that got away" like Dean Windass was in the 90''s.?

" Will Aidy Boothroyd be the "One that got away" like Dean Windass was in the 90''s.?"

Er... no... Dean Windass is a player that caused our very good manager to leave when the manager couldn''t sign him... not really analogous to a manager we don''t want.

So exactly the same as Worthington, yet so many bleeted like sheep when some of use questioned if he should remain....[quote user="First Jedi"]As impressive of taking a top team in a division to the next, and then barely getting a win and dismally dropping like a hot rock? Hmmm....

I agree that Lambert hasn''t done something as good as that... but still I don''t think Bothroyd is as good as Lambert - otherwise, as you say, we''d have gone for him. I''m glad we didn''t. Lambert has more to his game than hoof ball, although the Walsall game isn''t really helping my point any![/quote]

Lambert has done well with all his teams to date when you look at who and what he has had to work with.

I honestly believe this is our Martin O''Neil style second chance.

Would have liked Boothroyd, would have liked Robins. In fairness though McNally does have a decent track record and clearly knows what he is doing.

I know that Dean Windass was a player that caused our good manager to leave and that Aidy Boothroyd is a manager that we don''t want, (Allegedly).  But they are both names that crop up, Windass was the missing piece in Martin O''Neill''s jigsaw, Boothroyd is the name that comes up every time we seek a new Boss and I guess will allways come up.

"Windass was the missing piece in Martin O''Neill''s jigsaw, Boothroyd is the name that comes up every time we seek a new Boss and I guess will allways come up. "

Still don''t seen how they are in any way comparable... but then we could just bang on about it forever. Agree to disagree? :)

Because Lambert''s steadily improved with each club he''s been at while Aidy is living off the back of one good season.

Thats why.

Another interesting point would be that he was in charge of our accademy - how many players came through under his stewardship and played for us on a regular basis?Since Ricky Martin has been in charge we have seen more and better players than Henderson, Ryan Jarvis and Eagle come through.Ok so it doesn''t speak volumes nessisarily about Boothroyd but I think that as others have said Boothroyd had a stormer of a season at Watford and much like Dowie has failed to reproduce it since even when he still had pretty much the same team after relegation. It wasn''t like they didn''t spend any money either.

Since when do stats from the lowest division in English football compare with PL experience

As they say Lies damned lies and stats

Stats never won a thing they are just what you want to make of them to prove a point

Boothroyd for me. Lambert is a cheap O''Neil imitation

"Since when do stats from the lowest division in English football compare with PL experience "

Where does it say that failing badly in the Premiership is the perfect training for successful lower league management? I''d rather a successful League One manager is a better prospect for a League One side, than a manager who''s only proven to be a failure at a different level, whether that level is higher or not.

"Stats never won a thing"

No, but stats about who won, drew, lost are kinda important. They''re less stats and more "facts". You know, the stats about how many wins and draws you get are kinda important in a league structure, they use them in the league to work out who won it... I''m surprised you don''t realise this.

"they are just what you want to make of them to prove a point"

No - games or drawn or lost is as black and white as you get, and the only point it proves is that you''re *wrong*

Yeah, guys, I know you lot won 46 games, and we lost 46 games, but I think we should be the league winners, cos, you know, the games you win are just stats, right? And their just a lie... you know? You shouldn''t pander to liars...

... maybe we could call it a draw, and just not bother in future...?

Hey, and, you know - even the matches, whether you win or loose, they are just based on stats such as the number of goals scored versus the goals they scored... this whole stats thing is pervasive, it''s making a mockery of the game! We should declare all games draws, then we''d all winners and we can clap hands and sing songs together instead!

"There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics!" [:)]

[quote user="Lambo"]Because Lambert''s steadily improved with each club he''s been at while Aidy is living off the back of one good season. Thats why.[/quote]

1 good season? Hmmmm....2 play off appearences, 1 season in the prem when they got to the FA Cup semi final.....hmmm 1 good season you say...interesting.

[quote user="First Jedi"]As impressive of taking a top team in a division to the next, and then barely getting a win and dismally dropping like a hot rock? Hmmm.... I agree that Lambert hasn''t done something as good as that... but still I don''t think Bothroyd is as good as Lambert - otherwise, as you say, we''d have gone for him. I''m glad we didn''t. Lambert has more to his game than hoof ball, although the Walsall game isn''t really helping my point any!

[quote user="ref89"]So exactly the same as Worthington, yet so many bleeted like sheep when some of use questioned if he should remain....

[/quote][/quote]

Exactly the same as Worthington... Really?

Worthington - Won the Championship by 8 points and automatic promotion by 15. Did it by playing football as acknowledged by many other managers in the division. Made many friends with some excellent football in the Premier League and only got relegated on the last day of the season.

Boothroyd - Finished 3rd in the Championship 25 points behind 1st. Justifiably got a reputation for hoofball. Accepted relegation from the very first game in the Prem and spent that whole season bottom of the league waiting to be relegated and still playing hoofball regardless.

Maybe some of the sheep had a bit of a point when they bleated [:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]As impressive of taking a top team in a division to the next, and then barely getting a win and dismally dropping like a hot rock? Hmmm.... I agree that Lambert hasn''t done something as good as that... but still I don''t think Bothroyd is as good as Lambert - otherwise, as you say, we''d have gone for him. I''m glad we didn''t. Lambert has more to his game than hoof ball, although the Walsall game isn''t really helping my point any!

[quote user="ref89"]So exactly the same as Worthington, yet so many bleeted like sheep when some of use questioned if he should remain....

[/quote][/quote]

Exactly the same as Worthington... Really?

Worthington - Won the Championship by 8 points and automatic promotion by 15. Did it by playing football as acknowledged by many other managers in the division. Made many friends with some excellent football in the Premier League and only got relegated on the last day of the season.

Boothroyd - Finished 3rd in the Championship 25 points behind 1st. Justifiably got a reputation for hoofball. Accepted relegation from the very first game in the Prem and spent that whole season bottom of the league waiting to be relegated and still playing hoofball regardless.

Maybe some of the sheep had a bit of a point when they bleated [:|]

[/quote]

Both got their clubs promoted from the Championship. Neither had what it takes to keep their clubs up at a higher level and both fell flat on their faces when trying to cope with life after the top division.  Both got sacked after they showed that they didn''t have what it takes to sort it out.  Not "exactly" the same but I can see some similarities buried deep in there somewhere.

One small point.  After Boothroyd got relegated from the Premier League after just the one season he did in fact get them back in the playoffs once again where they were beaten by Hull in the play off semi.  The final season would have defeated anyone because by that time he had a Watford board arguably than the one you complain about when the Chairman proceeded to sell his best players without either consulting or telling him.  Some managers might have walked the first time that happened.

It''s not a lot of difference but personality wise they are Chalk and Cheese.  Which one works for which club remains to be seen.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

One small point.  After Boothroyd got relegated from the Premier League after just the one season he did in fact get them back in the playoffs once again where they were beaten by Hull in the play off semi.  The final season would have defeated anyone because by that time he had a Watford board arguably than the one you complain about when the Chairman proceeded to sell his best players without either consulting or telling him.  Some managers might have walked the first time that happened.

It''s not a lot of difference but personality wise they are Chalk and Cheese.  Which one works for which club remains to be seen.

[/quote]

I did point this out cam mate but it fell on deaf ears. Boothroyd took Watford to the play offs twice and the FA cup semi final in their premier league season, hardly a one season wonder.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I did point this out cam mate but it fell on deaf ears. Boothroyd took Watford to the play offs twice and the FA cup semi final in their premier league season, hardly a one season wonder.

[/quote]

It''s all right Arthur, I left out the FA Cup semi thing because he clearly wasn''t "concentrating on the League".

But it still remains the same.  Hope and aspiration flourish once again but you don''t get your money back if they don''t.[W]

But seriously angry about his treatment of Medy Elito, which only emerged yesterday.[:@]

It''s one thing to take on some hulking old pro like Doc and it''s quite another to take on a kid of 18 who did reasonably well as a late sub in the Championship.

Let''s hope they work out for both of us.

And, no, I''ve no idea either.

Dronny and Cam.. what you say is right if you follow the club through the record books but for those with memories to treasure you couldn''t be any further from the truth. You are both entitled to your opinions and I respect them but I will never agree with them. How can there be little difference between what Aidy did at Watford and what Worthy did here?

Let me share a few memories with you. Like being at the Bescot on a sunny autumn afternoon watching us play Walsall off the park with marvelous flowing football from the likes of Francis, Mulryne, Hucks, Crouch and McVeigh and three quality goals to ice the cake. That 4-1 victory against Cardiff that many of us was Hucks last game. Taking ipswich apart and going top without him. Following the saga all over christmas as a determined Worthington and Skipper landed their man. Staying top throughout the winter with some tremendously tough performances. Playing even better football in the spring scoring five at Burnley and putting another five passed Walsall, the Good Friday victory over Wigan that allowed the whole country to see the quality football and goals that we had been watching. And finally being at Crewe where we were already Champions and playing the football "Worthy" of Champions.

By winning the league by a large margin and being promoted by a huge margin. Yes Worthy won something. A trophy of prestige and one to celebrate. The end result is promotion whether you finish 25 points off top but win the play-offs or win the league by 8 points so yes, I suppose there are some similarities hidden there, but not a lot of difference?? get real!

And then in the Premier League there''s another great difference between the memories we have and the memories Watford fans have. We played some marvelous football at times and took some right pastings at others. But we were never really adrift at the bottom, we never accepted relegation and we always tried to play our football. Watford never beat anyone of any note and never made an attempt to stay up. They accepted relegation from day one. At least we have that victory against Man U to remember. But ultimately the record books will show that both sides were relegated. So there''s your similarities again... but not a lot of difference??.. Yeah right Cam!

Maybe there''s not a lot of difference between Boothroyds two clubs, Watford and Colchester and I reckon your Aidy, just like your Lambo would jump ship tomorrow if he got the chance to come here. But Worthy is streets ahead of the pair of them on what he has achieved. But back to topic - was Lambert preferable to Boothroyd? I reckon ... because at the moment all Aidy''s got is Lambo''s scraps.[&]

Dronny and Cam.. what you say is right if you follow the club through the record books but for those with memories to treasure you couldn''t be any further from the truth. You are both entitled to your opinions and I respect them but I will never agree with them. How can there be little difference between what Aidy did at Watford and what Worthy did here?

Let me share a few memories with you. Like being at the Bescot on a sunny autumn afternoon watching us play Walsall off the park with marvelous flowing football from the likes of Francis, Mulryne, Hucks, Crouch and McVeigh and three quality goals to ice the cake. That 4-1 victory against Cardiff that many of us was Hucks last game. Taking ipswich apart and going top without him. Following the saga all over christmas as a determined Worthington and Skipper landed their man. Staying top throughout the winter with some tremendously tough performances. Playing even better football in the spring scoring five at Burnley and putting another five passed Walsall, the Good Friday victory over Wigan that allowed the whole country to see the quality football and goals that we had been watching. And finally being at Crewe where we were already Champions and playing the football "Worthy" of Champions.

By winning the league by a large margin and being promoted by a huge margin. Yes Worthy won something. A trophy of prestige and one to celebrate. The end result is promotion whether you finish 25 points off top but win the play-offs or win the league by 8 points so yes, I suppose there are some similarities hidden there, but not a lot of difference?? get real!

And then in the Premier League there''s another great difference between the memories we have and the memories Watford fans have. We played some marvelous football at times and took some right pastings at others. But we were never really adrift at the bottom, we never accepted relegation and we always tried to play our football. Watford never beat anyone of any note and never made an attempt to stay up. They accepted relegation from day one. At least we have that victory against Man U to remember. But ultimately the record books will show that both sides were relegated. So there''s your similarities again... but not a lot of difference??.. Yeah right Cam!

Maybe there''s not a lot of difference between Boothroyds two clubs, Watford and Colchester and I reckon your Aidy, just like your Lambo would jump ship tomorrow if he got the chance to come here. But Worthy is streets ahead of the pair of them on what he has achieved. But back to topic - was Lambert preferable to Boothroyd? I reckon ... because at the moment all Aidy''s got is Lambo''s scraps.[&]

[/quote]

Hopefully you know our respect for Nige this end and how much, accordingly, we enjoyed all the albeit brief post-Roeder flirtation when the Great Job Share Idea emerged from the boardroom only to be propelled back to you like any good Premier League centre half might do. 

Please let us not degenerate into a slanging match.  What Boothroyd did and what Worthy did were achieved against poor boards with little money and in some cases with players who might not have been a first choice anywhere else.

I can''t argue that Worthy didn''t do it better - and what wonders with the NI team (including a "hot" striker from Derry City[+o(] - but both had some achievements against the odds.

I''m not into yours is better than mine personally because I genuinely don''t know.  Lambert came in, shored up our worst defence in 30 years (my opinion), and got us our best away record ever.

His man management skills can, however, be safely written on the back of a postage stamp while leaving room for a substantial extract from the Koran.

Hopefully he will be fine with you, hopefully ours will be fine with us.

If it doesn''t work out we''ll just both pay them off won''t we? [:|]

Good luck v MK Dons.

Yours in sport etc

[:#]

It''s not a slanging match Cam. There''s no secret that I''m a big Worthy fan. Aidy did well at Watford too but there''s got to be a huge difference between their respective promotions and seasons in the sun[H] I''m staggered that people can''t see it.

As for the rest of it.. it''s all a bit tongue in cheek really because none of us know which manager will be better suited to which club. All I do know is that I''m nearly as sick of new managers as I am of new goalkeepers. For the first 10 years I watched Norwich we had 3 managers and 1 first choice goalkeeper. Now it''s a manager every season and a goalie every month!

While we are talking about Worthy and Lambo[:S] I learned something new on here tonight. Apparently the board and Lambo being friends is good[Y] Where as the board and Worthy (or even Gunny) being friends was bad[N] Maybe after a heavy defeat McNally will be moved to giving his friend a hug too [}]

It''s not a slanging match Cam. There''s no secret that I''m a big Worthy fan. Aidy did well at Watford too but there''s got to be a huge difference between their respective promotions and seasons in the sun[H] I''m staggered that people can''t see it.

As for the rest of it.. it''s all a bit tongue in cheek really because none of us know which manager will be better suited to which club. All I do know is that I''m nearly as sick of new managers as I am of new goalkeepers. For the first 10 years I watched Norwich we had 3 managers and 1 first choice goalkeeper. Now it''s a manager every season and a goalie every month!

While we are talking about Worthy and Lambo[:S] I learned something new on here tonight. Apparently the board and Lambo being friends is good[Y] Where as the board and Worthy (or even Gunny) being friends was bad[N] Maybe after a heavy defeat McNally will be moved to giving his friend a hug too [}]

[/quote]

You''re more than a big ''Worthy Fan''.....You sleep in an old pair of his discarded Y-fronts - and use them as a hammock.

"Aaah....Noigel....ZZZZzzzzzz." [|-)]