Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Squad is "much of a muchness"

Is that clever thing to say to the media about your squad? Even if it''s true?

The comparisons with Roeder keep stacking up don''t they!

Personally i think he''s right to be looking to add some pace to the team eventhough i believe Gunn thought he was doing that with Whaley. What is it with him - he was really promising in pre-season yet now everyone seems to have written him off completely. I''ve not seen him so can''t comment but seems a tad harsh.

[quote user="a1canary"]Is that clever thing to say to the media about your squad? Even if it''s true?

The comparisons with Roeder keep stacking up don''t they!

Personally i think he''s right to be looking to add some pace to the team eventhough i believe Gunn thought he was doing that with Whaley. What is it with him - he was really promising in pre-season yet now everyone seems to have written him off completely. I''ve not seen him so can''t comment but seems a tad harsh.[/quote]

Too many people on here run with the herd I''m afraid. Someone wrote off Whaley and the rest of the ever presents on here piled in. I saw Whaley at yeovil. He had pace and threat and made a superb cross for one of the goals. However, I conceed that one good game isn''t conclusive.

I agree it''s wrong to write him off. I think McVeigh has shown a bit more. But surely he should be on the bench at least.

On Hoolahan I understand the decision not to start him, but again I would have him on the bench. The game last week was crying out for Hoolahan, but he wasn''t on the bench.

Hopefully Lambert will have learned those lessons and name both Hoolahan and Whaley amongst the subs.

Must have read this article differently as I have understood it to say that the pace in the squad is much of a muchness, which is plain for all to see. Can''t see how a quote like this needs a post to analyse it but, that''s the mind set of Norwich supporters at the minute.

Its a dangerous game for any manager of our club to say anything that may be obvious to us all.

Ah well....................... 

Definitely haven''t given up with Whaley yet but he looked lacking in confidence for the reserves too. It could well be a settling in thing. I don''t know anything about him or his family but Preston to Norwich is a long way. Some players, like Hucks, love the move and settle straight away. Others take longer and some never settle here at all.

Cue a load of "he''s a professional so should be able to perform whatever" posts. Unfortunately we''re all human and life''s not like that.

Whaley is very poor. Saw all pre season and every game after that so far. He has no pace, can''t cross, doesn''t tackle, doesn''t track back when he needs too etc etc. He is a poor signing IMO. I thought he was going to have lots of pace but he hasn''t and rarely does he get beyond the opposition full backs. Another reason why Gunn had to go is the amount of crap he signed. Out of all that he signed I think 2/3 have done alright but thats it. Would have rather signed up and coming league 2 players that very poor league 1 players.

[quote user="willo"]

Must have read this article differently as I have understood it to say that the pace in the squad is much of a muchness, which is plain for all to see. Can''t see how a quote like this needs a post to analyse it but, that''s the mind set of Norwich supporters at the minute.

Its a dangerous game for any manager of our club to say anything that may be obvious to us all.

Ah well....................... 

[/quote]

If that''s the case willo and that''s what Lambert meant, then Archant have wrongly interpreted what was said (which i concede wouldn''t be the first time. In fact it wouldn''t be the millionth time!). Because the line in the article clearly refers to the squad:

"Lambert is eager to add an injection of pace into his Canaries squad, which he described as "much of a muchness"."

Ok he has pace compared to Doherty but he is not as quick as people think. Watch the next game he plays and see how many times he gets past his marker with his pace? He is either not very quick or the defenders are all quiker than he is.

Try reading to the very end of the article, where it quotes him directly."You need legs, that''s why I need some speed in the team and young,

hungry lads who can give that to me. The current group of

lads have given everything, but they are much of a muchness. They need

help. If you can run and get about the pitch, with a bit of hunger and

desire and you won''t be far off."

[quote user="king canary"]Sorry but to say Whaley has ''no pace'' is just crazy. I agree with alot of the rest but he is fast.
[/quote]

You might be right but having watched the Man Utd friendly and all our competive home matches, I have to say that there is no evidence whatsoever that Whaley has any pace at all.  Perhaps you have seen him for Preston but in all the matches i have seen, he lacked both speed and guile.

Idiot.Lambert was referring to the pacey players in the squad as being much of a muchness, as in the players are all about the same, we have no really quick ones.Semmy seems to be our only pacey player.

*cough* Knee Jerk *cough*

How can you judge him after only a handfull of games. Yes I know holt has come in and settled straight away but not all of the players are going to. Whalley is clearly a confidence player and I must say recently we haven''t really given him an excuse to be confident. I have to say that so far havent seen too much quality from him but there have definatly been glimpses.

Perhaps im asking too much from this board to give someone a chance rather than being written off after 6 games into the season?

[quote user="Clean Shirt"]

Whalley is clearly a confidence player and I must say recently we haven''t really given him an excuse to be confident. I have to say that so far havent seen too much quality from him but there have definatly been glimpses.

[/quote]

Seem to recall at the time we signed him people were posting links from Preston sites that said the same thing.  It is too soon to be writing him off though, he may not be the next Huckerby but at this level he ought to be able to do a job once settled.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]What would people think about Semmy in midfield? Spillane at right back.[/quote]

I think that''s a disaster waiting to happen. Best sign a proper right-back.

Whaley has been by far and away the biggest disappointment of the season.  He has made little or no impact on any of the games I have seen this season.  As for whether he has genuine pace or not, I couldn''t say because I have yet to see him even try to take a defender on- a skill which I would have thought is essential for an out and out winger.

As for Lambert''s comments, I personally don''t have a problem with them and think he is spot on. You don''t need world beaters at this level and a committed team will go a long way against the quality of opposition in this league. Where we really lack pace is up front. Teams know that we don''t have the strikers to get in behind them so as a result can push their defensive line further up the pitch. This was most evident aganst Walsall who simply gave our skillful (but lightweight) players no time and space on the ball. That''s why I would always play Cody up front, especially away from home, because although his first touch isn''t up to much he does have the pace to worry defenders

I read it as being a reference to the squad, not a reference to pace generally. However that is the problem with loose words when talking to the Press, you can beleive what you want in what was said. I would hope that he can use this to get the team to react and demonstrate that pace can be delivered by good accurate sharp passing tonight, and beat MK Dons by at least two goals to jump above them. Ten I might forget his potential for Roeder-isms for a while.

[quote user="First Wizard"]In Lambert I trust...............totally.[Y][/quote]For this month at least, eh Wiz? [;)]

Lol!

Sorry Wiz, but you do bring these things on yourself! I seem to remember a similar and albeit very brief proclamation of trust in all things Roeder not long after he was appointed!

Still, i think we were all fooled by Roeder initially and thought he was going to be good for our club, eventhough many, me included him, disliked him deeply as a person from the outset. I get the same feeling with Lambert - i just hope he does turn out to be good for the club.

"Much of a muchness" means similar... not rubbish or slow.

Just that there is no one with real raw pace (Semmy not sincluded of course) in the final third, this is why Daley has been used.

Shefcanary, I would love to see us go above MK tongiht with a 2-0 win, but I can''t see us not conceding tonight.

1-1 draw for me.

[quote user="a1canary"]Lol! Sorry Wiz, but you do bring these things on yourself! I seem to remember a similar and albeit very brief proclamation of trust in all things Roeder not long after he was appointed! Still, i think we were all fooled by Roeder initially and thought he was going to be good for our club, eventhough many, me included him, disliked him deeply as a person from the outset. I get the same feeling with Lambert - i just hope he does turn out to be good for the club.[/quote]

Yes, you''re right there A1, the main diference with me though is, that unlike Roeder, I actually wanted Lambert here as manager if we couldn''t get Steve Tilson.

Oh and Lapps, if Lambo drops Curo, its because he thinks its right to do so, and I would support him in that decision........okay?

"Much of a muchness" means that we have a group of players that are very similar in the fact they''re not quick but good on the ball not that Lambert thinks the squad is poor.

Jeez people need to stop trying to read too much into things.

I wrote about Whaley before and what my PNE mates reckon, the worrying thing is that he has started badly, where as they said he will start off really good and but slowly gets worse.

I don''t think Hoolahan would have been a sure bet to turn that game around last week for two or three reasons. What we saw was a team with little pace of its own being able to play high up the pitch to combat our own lack of pace. It started to look like a different game with Cody on the pitch but he wasnt on for long enough and on his own may not have been enough to change the game.In a game like that Hoolahan may have been simply muscled out of the game or he may have played a blinder - there is no guarantee.Ideally you want a mixture, you want players with pace that will threaten spaces and so push the oppenants team around a bit making more space for the likes of Hoolahan to take advantage of.