Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

For God's sake Lambert stop flogging the dead horse that is "Cureton"

If even our previous manager who apparantly possessed the following fundamental faults,

• Preparations for the new season

• Preparation for individual matches

• Post-match assessment

• The pre-game ''behaviour''
  • was able to see that Cureton wasn''t good enough , Lambert''s continous inclusion should surely start to bring question marks over his judgement?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If even our previous manager who apparantly possessed the following fundamental faults,

• Post-match assessment

was able to see that Cureton wasn''t good enough , Lambert''s continous inclusion should surely start to bring question marks over his judgement?

[/quote]
  • And yet the team, including Curo in it, is now starting to pick up points, Lambo will do for me.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

• Post-match assessment

was able to see that Cureton wasn''t good enough , Lambert''s continous inclusion should surely start to bring question marks over his judgement?

[/quote]
  • And yet the team, including Curo in it, is now starting to pick up points, Lambo will do for me.[Y]

[/quote]As long as you don''t think that has anything to do with Cureton, i''m with you on that [Y]

Well said Wiz... TEAM comes before individuals with Lambert... [;)]

I don''t remember any other striker apart from Holt scoring in the league under Lambert, Gunn or Butterworth do you???

I for one am not going to argue with 7 points from 9 and neither should anybody else be.  If Lambert can keep that up then we will finish the season on 101 points, put in a few defeats and we should still be not far away in the play-offs.  People being critical of a new manager that has won 3 in all competitions and drawn one and who has not been allowed to buy just one of his own players yet totally shows the stupidity of some of our fans.

I guess some fans would prefer a manager with a win ratio of 20% or less that will pick Hoolahan and/or Cody MacDonald to play upfront???

Heskey upfront for England???  Capello putting TEAM before individuals???

Heskey would not be my choice personally, but you can hardly start arguing with Capello''s results can you?

I think Lambert knows his current squads limitations and how to get the best out of what we have until he is allowed to bring in a few of his own players.  He has my faith that he will do what is best for the team despite what some fans who think they may know better might have to say.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Sorry John, but the entire team, subs as well, have ALL done their bit, hence the word TEAM![/quote]Sorry, but not by any stretch of the imagination has Cureton done his part in this team we have now.If he contributed to the build up play, provided assistance, or hell, even contributed a goal or two, he''d be doing his part. But he simlpy isn''t.He''s nothing other than a hiderance to our sides threat and ability in the final third, and at that provides no clinical edge in th oppositions half.I agree, Lambert currently has an effective function in the team going, built on the foundations of people "doing thier job". Cureton is not doing his job, and his inability to do so is masked by the efficiency and work rate of those around him.We''re getting goals from all around the park at the moment, but we''re practically soley relying on Holt to score the goals for us up front. Take him away from the equation, and our striking rate up front is almost disgraceful at this stage of the season from the strikers. He needs assistance from someone with the ability and work ethic to have an effect on the game. Cureton can''t.McDonald has scored, hit the woodwork twice, and has provided at least one assistance. As well as that he''s not shut of the game for a full 90 minutes if he''s being marked.We have far better options than Cureton for our teams system. They may not be ideal, and hopefully the loan system will help us with that in time, but we simply cannot persist with proven failiure.It''s hardly done any favours in the past has it?

[quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Sorry John, but the entire team, subs as well, have ALL done their bit, hence the word TEAM![/quote]

Sorry, but not by any stretch of the imagination has Cureton done his part in this team we have now.

If he contributed to the build up play, provided assistance, or hell, even contributed a goal or two, he''d be doing his part. But he simlpy isn''t.

He''s nothing other than a hiderance to our sides threat and ability in the final third, and at that provides no clinical edge in th oppositions half.

I agree, Lambert currently has an effective function in the team going, built on the foundations of people "doing thier job". Cureton is not doing his job, and his inability to do so is masked by the efficiency and work rate of those around him.

We''re getting goals from all around the park at the moment, but we''re practically soley relying on Holt to score the goals for us up front. Take him away from the equation, and our striking rate up front is almost disgraceful at this stage of the season from the strikers.

He needs assistance from someone with the ability and work ethic to have an effect on the game. Cureton can''t.

McDonald has scored, hit the woodwork twice, and has provided at least one assistance. As well as that he''s not shut of the game for a full 90 minutes if he''s being marked.

We have far better options than Cureton for our teams system. They may not be ideal, and hopefully the loan system will help us with that in time, but we simply cannot persist with proven failiure.

It''s hardly done any favours in the past has it?
    [/quote]

With respect John, argue with the results, not with me. You say all the negatives against Curo, Lambert only offers praise....................................

He''s the manager, and err? you''re not!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Heskey upfront for England???  Capello putting TEAM before individuals???

Heskey would not be my choice personally, but you can hardly start arguing with Capello''s results can you?

I think Lambert knows his current squads limitations and how to get the best out of what we have until he is allowed to bring in a few of his own players.  He has my faith that he will do what is best for the team despite what some fans who think they may know better might have to say.

[/quote]Heskey, with his strength and height, draws out the defending opposition. He adds that different dimension to the side, ''plan B''. He holds up the ball effectively, and acts as the perfect compliment to people like Lennon, Defoe, and Rooney.And truth be told, you''d have your work cut out trying to find someone as good, or better in doing that.Or if you want, he "does his job".What has Cureton added to our side in the past year? I frankly find it shameful, that you as an educated (?) and reasonable human being, feel you can find and draw comparisons between the two players.

[quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Sorry John, but the entire team, subs as well, have ALL done their bit, hence the word TEAM![/quote]

Sorry, but not by any stretch of the imagination has Cureton done his part in this team we have now.

If he contributed to the build up play, provided assistance, or hell, even contributed a goal or two, he''d be doing his part. But he simlpy isn''t.

He''s nothing other than a hiderance to our sides threat and ability in the final third, and at that provides no clinical edge in th oppositions half.

I agree, Lambert currently has an effective function in the team going, built on the foundations of people "doing thier job". Cureton is not doing his job, and his inability to do so is masked by the efficiency and work rate of those around him.

We''re getting goals from all around the park at the moment, but we''re practically soley relying on Holt to score the goals for us up front. Take him away from the equation, and our striking rate up front is almost disgraceful at this stage of the season from the strikers.

He needs assistance from someone with the ability and work ethic to have an effect on the game. Cureton can''t.

McDonald has scored, hit the woodwork twice, and has provided at least one assistance. As well as that he''s not shut of the game for a full 90 minutes if he''s being marked.

We have far better options than Cureton for our teams system. They may not be ideal, and hopefully the loan system will help us with that in time, but we simply cannot persist with proven failiure.

It''s hardly done any favours in the past has it?
    [/quote]

Agreed. I can forgive Lambert for turning to Cureton for the first two/three matches as I suppose it''s natural that when a new manager comes to a club he will look through the squad list and immediately be drawn to names he is familiar with (just as Gunn did with Cureton when he took over) but I''d equally expect that after those two/three games that should a striker not even have a SHOT let alone a goal that the manager would then try alternatives.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]Sorry John, but the entire team, subs as well, have ALL done their bit, hence the word TEAM![/quote]Sorry, but not by any stretch of the imagination has Cureton done his part in this team we have now.If he contributed to the build up play, provided assistance, or hell, even contributed a goal or two, he''d be doing his part. But he simlpy isn''t.He''s nothing other than a hiderance to our sides threat and ability in the final third, and at that provides no clinical edge in th oppositions half.I agree, Lambert currently has an effective function in the team going, built on the foundations of people "doing thier job". Cureton is not doing his job, and his inability to do so is masked by the efficiency and work rate of those around him.We''re getting goals from all around the park at the moment, but we''re practically soley relying on Holt to score the goals for us up front. Take him away from the equation, and our striking rate up front is almost disgraceful at this stage of the season from the strikers. He needs assistance from someone with the ability and work ethic to have an effect on the game. Cureton can''t.McDonald has scored, hit the woodwork twice, and has provided at least one assistance. As well as that he''s not shut of the game for a full 90 minutes if he''s being marked.We have far better options than Cureton for our teams system. They may not be ideal, and hopefully the loan system will help us with that in time, but we simply cannot persist with proven failiure.It''s hardly done any favours in the past has it?[/quote]

With respect John, argue with the results, not with me. You say all the negatives against Curo, Lambert only offers praise....................................

He''s the manager, and err? you''re not!

[/quote]Use your reasoning Wiz, and youn may find yourself arriving at a reasonable conclusion.You''re argument is in severe lacking of such at the moment.

First Wiz you obviously don''t go to any matches. Cureton has done absolutely nothing in every match he has played. No goals, no assists. I can not understand why he is still starting, we might as well play with 10 men on the pitch!

[quote user="Smudger"]

I don''t remember any other striker apart from Holt scoring in the league under Lambert, Gunn or Butterworth do you???

I for one am not going to argue with 7 points from 9 and neither should anybody else be.  If Lambert can keep that up then we will finish the season on 101 points, put in a few defeats and we should still be not far away in the play-offs.  People being critical of a new manager that has won 3 in all competitions and drawn one and who has not been allowed to buy just one of his own players yet totally shows the stupidity of some of our fans.

I guess some fans would prefer a manager with a win ratio of 20% or less that will pick Hoolahan and/or Cody MacDonald to play upfront???

[/quote]

whats with  all this positivity and getting behind the team ? have you had a visit from jacob marley ?  [:D]

If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it.

I was not pleased to see Cureton in the line ups, but perhaps he adds something to the team''s chemistry that gives the others around him confidence even if he is not doing so well himself.  At the other end of the pitch, a favorite of many fans has been taken off the field and even the bench, left at home to watch games on TV or follow PinkUn updates, and the results have been all good. His contributions to the defence were obviously outweighed by what he does to the team chemistry, making others around him skittish.

Ha ha, skittish!  And he''s Irish.

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

whats with  all this positivity and getting behind the team ? have you had a visit from jacob marley ?  [:D]

[/quote]

Thursday evening after the NCISA meeting i witnessed Smudger shaking hands with the manager and chatting to the Chief Executive in a composed and polite manner!

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha nice one Pennywise... I like it!!! [Y] [:D]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I was not pleased to see Cureton in the line ups, but perhaps he adds something to the team''s chemistry that gives the others around him confidence even if he is not doing so well himself.  At the other end of the pitch, a favorite of many fans has been taken off the field and even the bench, left at home to watch games on TV or follow PinkUn updates, and the results have been all good. His contributions to the defence were obviously outweighed by what he does to the team chemistry, making others around him skittish.

[/quote]

This is a very good point Houston... [Y]

We haven''t made any new signings and I fully expect that Cureton will be given the nod again on Monday evening.  If we get another 3 points then he will obviously start against Charlton too unless a Striker is brought in on loan prior to then.  If we should only draw and Cureton doesn''t score then he may find himself on the bench for Charlton and I would think that a defeat plus another fairly poor performance from Cureton will almost certainly see changes.  Also if one of the youngsters (MacDonald or Daley) actually comes off the bench and nets in a league game then I would imagine that player to possibly start the next game in place of Cureton.

Is it me, or is Smudger becoming overwhelmingly positive?I''m starting to feel like i''ve become the villain here.[:O]

I wouldn''t be Cureton''s biggest fan but I think the more games he gets under his belt the better. He hasn''t played in such a long time so there''s bound to be some rustiness.Lets hope that he can get a goal to build his confidence up.

[quote user="John"]Is it me, or is Smudger becoming overwhelmingly positive?

I''m starting to feel like i''ve become the villain here.[:O]
    [/quote]

Just my opinion John. 

I respect everybody elses opinion that maybe Cureton shouldn''t start.  I would like to see young Luke Daley given a start upfront, but I don''t think that I would drop Cureton just yet.  I think that Jamie must be as aware as anybody that if results start going against the team then he will probably be one of the first names on Lambert''s list when he starts wielding the axe.  As long as the TEAM is winning though I really couldn''t care less who is getting on the scoresheet as the team picking up points is all that really matters for the time being.

Isn''t Match of the Day GREAT so far tonight??? [:D]

[quote user="Smudger"]

I don''t remember any other striker apart from Holt scoring in the league under Lambert, Gunn or Butterworth do you???[/quote]

McDonald v Colchester?

we may get alot more points if lambert puts someone up front who knows how to score a goal rather than seeing which crowd member he can hit in the face with the ball .

cureton is past it, and wont score more than 5-8 goals all season .... safe bet .

[quote user="IncH HigH"]What a surreal thread.[:O]
    Wiz and Smudger both talking sense and being positive on the same thread.[;)]
    [/quote]

An explanation Inch High:

It could be that Smudger and I both realise that Lambert, and McNally, are potenially huge signings for City and that there is real hope for us now.

its just a pitty we dont have no money , and it was all spent before they got here .

a bit like buying a new car and not being able to afford to run it ...

lambert may be a good manager but  he has to work with the players hes got .

I''m sorry but we really must not play him from the start.  Whilst I agree that an unchanged team may be good for continuity Cureton contributes very little. Before Wiz leaps Salmon like to the defence of his love child, I would like to point out that against Walsall I made a point of keeping a very close eye on him to see exactly what it is that he supposedly brings to the table.  The answer.... very little (and I don''t mean just his height).  He spent most of the match loitering in the area between centre circle and D making very few runs off  the ball. Those he did make were invariably in the opposite direction to any of Holt''s flick ons.  When chasing any through balls he was easily outpaced by the CB''s and, quite obviously, never won an aerial challenge against them (not really his fault I know). His one attempt at a shot was a good 10 yards off target.

Even the relative in experience of McDonald or Daley would be preferable because the both have the one thing that scares the bejesus out of defenders, and Cureton is seriously lacking in, and that is pace!  Having said that I would start Monday with Martin alongside Holt.  His work ethic has been great so far this year, he''s strong, good in the air, and can shoot straight. Oh, and he''s also quicker than Jamie lad.

Maybe, just maybe, Jamie may be able to do a job for us from the bench.  Against a tiring defence and knowing he doesn''t have to pace himself (pardon the pun) he might be able to get his toe on the end of a few.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

well said on Doc, the phrase skittish is spot on and says it much better than my previous rants. Doc is bad for the team.

with curo, it may be his love for the club that Lambo is utilising at present to instil teamwork and passion. But if he ain''t scoring by end of month i expect no mercy.

[quote user="Scooby"]

I''m sorry but we really must not play him from the start.  Whilst I agree that an unchanged team may be good for continuity Cureton contributes very little. Before Wiz leaps Salmon like to the defence of his love child, I would like to point out that against Walsall I made a point of keeping a very close eye on him to see exactly what it is that he supposedly brings to the table.  The answer.... very little (and I don''t mean just his height).  He spent most of the match loitering in the area between centre circle and D making very few runs off  the ball. Those he did make were invariably in the opposite direction to any of Holt''s flick ons.  When chasing any through balls he was easily outpaced by the CB''s and, quite obviously, never won an aerial challenge against them (not really his fault I know). His one attempt at a shot was a good 10 yards off target.

Even the relative in experience of McDonald or Daley would be preferable because the both have the one thing that scares the bejesus out of defenders, and Cureton is seriously lacking in, and that is pace!  Having said that I would start Monday with Martin alongside Holt.  His work ethic has been great so far this year, he''s strong, good in the air, and can shoot straight. Oh, and he''s also quicker than Jamie lad.

Maybe, just maybe, Jamie may be able to do a job for us from the bench.  Against a tiring defence and knowing he doesn''t have to pace himself (pardon the pun) he might be able to get his toe on the end of a few.

[/quote]

Surely Scooby, and applying your own reasoning, its far better to use an albeit, unproven player with pace, ie Cody, to threaten tiring defenders![:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

Surely Scooby, and applying your own reasoning, its far better to use an albeit, unproven player with pace, ie Cody, to threaten tiring defenders![:|]

[/quote]If Cody Macdonald is "unproven" with 1 goal and 1 assist this season, does that mean Jamie Cureton is "proven" with 0 goals and 0 assists?FWIW I agree with the previous post.  If Cureton''s lost his pace now then bring him on at the end of the game when the defenders are tired and not as quick as they were.  At the moment he''s creating nothing and getting no chances because the defence keep outpacing him and slamming the door in his face.  At the end of Tony Cottee''s career he would come on for the last 20 minutes and still prove to be a handful, perhaps this would be Cureton''s best hope now too.  He''s 34 and probably this will be his last season with Norwich.I''d start with McDonald & Holt, and I''d have Martin and Cureton on the bench as options for replacement - Martin to do the Holt-type role, and Cureton to play off him.