Sign in to follow this  
canaryjock

Askou

If I may attempt to inject a dose of positivity into tonight''s rubbish-referee-enforced gloom, I thought that Big Jens absolutely strolled through the game. He read the game very well, did the easy things properly and and won just about every header that came his way. Promising signs for the rest of the season hopefully because the defence was very good. No goals from open play scored tonight remember...

I feel sorry for the person who came into contact with his head in training.

I bet they felt the force of that (even if someone kicked him in the head!) during, or after the incident!

Askou has been top class all season apart from 1 mistake against Wycombe. Nelson and Drury were both sorely missed after going off... Spillane looked out of depth... never thought I would say this but maybe Doherty on the bench is the better option...

[quote user="Largey"]

I feel sorry for the person who came into contact with his head in training.

I bet they felt the force of that (even if someone kicked him in the head!) during, or after the incident!

[/quote]

Blatently Doc! [:P]

I''m just back from the game (I live locally) and I was a little confused about Jens. His play on the ground and reading of the game were good but where was his famous heading? The MK Dons defenders consistently got far more distance on their defensive headers and won them very easily. I thought Jens had such brilliant heading technique? I can only assume his bandaged head was not at 100%.

His headers got much more distance than anyone else in a yellow shirt! I think he is more famous for hoofing the ball out of the stadium over the tallest stand he can find!

askou,holt and lappin (apart from tonight)

have been the bet players for us so far.... oh yeh and theolokilos

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Askou has been top class all season apart from 1 mistake against Wycombe. Nelson and Drury were both sorely missed after going off... Spillane looked out of depth... never thought I would say this but maybe Doherty on the bench is the better option...[/quote]

Agree Drury, Nelson and in particular Hughes were defineately missed, but i dont think Spillane looked out his depth. If anything imo Adeyemi had an awful game as young kids do from time to time, especially when your asking an 18 and 17 year old to hold the midfield and control the game against one of the better sides in the league. I really dont see how Doherty would have helped tonight, he''s hardly made us look more solid in the past.

Agree that Askou was our best player tonight... and with the board being as tight fisted as ever it looks like he will have to be at the top of his game for the rest of the season.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Askou has been top class all season apart from 1 mistake against Wycombe. Nelson and Drury were both sorely missed after going off... Spillane looked out of depth... never thought I would say this but maybe Doherty on the bench is the better option...[/quote]

I agree.

I''ve got no worries over Askou. I think he''ll get better and better.

You had to fear the worst with Nelson and Drury going off (combined with the loss of Hughes). And Gary Doherty is without doubt a better defender than Michael Spillane will ever be, whether people want to realise that or not.

[quote user="GJP"]

I agree.

You had to fear the worst with Nelson and Drury going off (combined with the loss of Hughes). And Gary Doherty is without doubt a better defender than Michael Spillane will ever be, whether people want to realise that or not.

[/quote]

How can you possibly blame Spillane for anything that went wrong tonight???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJP"]

I agree.

[/quote]

How can you possibly blame Spillane for anything that went wrong tonight???

[/quote]

Are you talking to me or Lincs CR?

Because neither of us appear to have blamed Spillane for anything.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]I''m just back from the game (I live locally) and I was a little confused about Jens. His play on the ground and reading of the game were good but where was his famous heading? The MK Dons defenders consistently got far more distance on their defensive headers and won them very easily. I thought Jens had such brilliant heading technique? I can only assume his bandaged head was not at 100%.[/quote]the bandage hindered him?side from that, he is a class act.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Askou has been top class all season apart from 1 mistake against Wycombe. Nelson and Drury were both sorely missed after going off... Spillane looked out of depth... never thought I would say this but maybe Doherty on the bench is the better option...[/quote]Doc makes his mistakes, but he is far better than Spillane. To not put him or Hoolahan even on the bench is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

[quote user="delboycanary"]

the doc does not read the game well enough and panics on the ball  .. Fact

[/quote]The Doc might be a bit of a Donkey on the ball, but he reads the game better than any of our centre backs out there tonight, without question. Let''s be honest, if he had given the free kick away that Lappin/Adeyemi did tonight people would be absolutely spitting feathers.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]He didn''t blame Spillane did he? Where in his post does he say that?
[/quote]

Well he seems to imply that having the Doc instead of Spillane on the bench might of made a difference to tonights result.

If I was Spillane then I would take such a remark as an insult.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="delboycanary"]

the doc does not read the game well enough and panics on the ball  .. Fact

[/quote]

The Doc might be a bit of a Donkey on the ball, but he reads the game better than any of our centre backs out there tonight, without question. Let''s be honest, if he had given the free kick away that Lappin/Adeyemi did tonight people would be absolutely spitting feathers.
[/quote]

hahaha I can''t wait to see the Doc in centre midfield against Charlton then! [:P]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Lincs CR"]Askou has been top class all season apart from 1 mistake against Wycombe. Nelson and Drury were both sorely missed after going off... Spillane looked out of depth... never thought I would say this but maybe Doherty on the bench is the better option...[/quote]

Doc makes his mistakes, but he is far better than Spillane. To not put him or Hoolahan even on the bench is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
[/quote]

Nail on head.

I find it sad that Askou was potentially our man of the match because he didn''t really do anything wrong.

I thought Askou was rather average tonight and the best defender we had was Nelson.   Askou didnt win any headers, looked weak when trying to win the ball off their striker and at times in the 2nd half was just following the ball around and getting nowhere near it.  Still think he is miles better then Doherty and doesnt worry you that he might give away a stupid foul or pen.

This is the most bizarre post I have read today , Askou " was rather average " absolute bullsh*t he was without a shadow of a doubt our man of the match tonight, he is a real find and personally thing he looks a cracking player. He was even covering the left back side when Drury went off in the first half and always looked comfortable throughout the whole evening. The main problem was when Drury went off and Lappin had to play Left back he is clearly not a left back and definately does not have the pace of one. This forced Martin back and completely changed the whole game. Russell should have been on the bench and should have been brought on instead of McVeigh when he came on, it wasn''t McVeighs fault but he was being played in a holding Midfielder role until the last 20 mins when Lambert changed it around and started to look creative again which we know he is. We were weak in the middle of the park and while I am a fan of the youngsters thought we looked to lightweight and they seemed to win everything in the middle, I don''t like knocking the youngsters but though Daley should really be used for the last twenty mins of games rather than the whole game which I am sure he wouldn''t have if injuries hads not forced Lambert into other changes. Spillane did definately not look out of this depth and for me should be a starter each week. I thought Chris Martin was good last night , I believe this boy has so much ability and was a same he couldn''t have played further up the pitch last night for longer. Everytime he had the ball something happended and for me again this boy needs to start every week.

[quote user="Duffman"]I thought Askou was rather average tonight and the best defender we had was Nelson.   Askou didnt win any headers, looked weak when trying to win the ball off their striker and at times in the 2nd half was just following the ball around and getting nowhere near it.  Still think he is miles better then Doherty and doesnt worry you that he might give away a stupid foul or pen.

[/quote]Who was the bloke in the bandage then? The one who was heading it 30 yards out of defence?

The guy in the bandage was Askou.  The guy winning everything on the ground and in the air was Micheal Nelson.I''m not having a go at Askou, he was solid but not spectacular.   Just didn''t think last night was his best game and wasn''t the best player we had on the park.