Sign in to follow this  
Horse Manure

I thought i was watching rugby

Kick the ball as far forward as we can, allow opposition to run at us as we stand back waiting for them to come forward. Eventually win the ball back and repeat. If Lambert thought we could hold on to a 1-0 lead for 89mins, 43 seconds then he has seen a different defence to me this season. If we were playing Man Utd then fine get a lead and park the bus, but MK Dons. God help us. As seems the case nowadays, training methods seem to be more concerned about where the "coaching manual" tells you to stand when the ball is in a certain area of the pitch, who you have to mark on set pieces and what areas you have to put the ball into. How about spending some time teaching them how to play through teams and not just over the top of them. Simple skills like passing the ball to someone in the same colour kit as you are wearing is obviously not something we spend a lot of time on.

I thought we had far more possession for the opening exchanges, the loss of Hughes is what turned the game, without him there''s nobody showing for the ball from the defense and nobody to pick passes and offer the creativity he does.

That''s just not true.  Hughes departure did not turn the game, for the previous 10 minutes MKD had come back into it..  The simple fact is that we were very poor tonight - they got their pen, we didn''t but it doesn''t disguise the fact that MKD thoroughly deserved 3 points.  Aside from the first 15 minutes when we played football, all we had was hoof it up to Holt.  If this is progress, then shoot me.  I would love Adeyemi, Smith, Martin, Spillane and Daley to come through, but at the moment it looks like what it is - men vs boys. 

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]That''s just not true.  Hughes departure did not turn the game, for the previous 10 minutes MKD had come back into it..  The simple fact is that we were very poor tonight - they got their pen, we didn''t but it doesn''t disguise the fact that MKD thoroughly deserved 3 points.  Aside from the first 15 minutes when we played football, all we had was hoof it up to Holt.  If this is progress, then shoot me.  I would love Adeyemi, Smith, Martin, Spillane and Daley to come through, but at the moment it looks like what it is - men vs boys. [/quote]

Spot on with everything there, but according to the majority of the experts on here tonight we played lovely one touch football and we only lost cos the ref was poor and those nasty mk dons played rough.

we were forced to make changes that we would never have made otherwise. some instances in the first half even with hughes off we did look like a threat when playing the ball into the box quickly.

the ref was w*nk - he was right in front of holt when he got slapped and nearly got stamped on..but i guess that football, teams in the prem have to deal with it every time they play at old trafford

I am only relying on what I heard through Goreham and Adams, but it seems to me that until we lost Hughes, MK Dons could hardly get the ball and then after that the midfield battle was lost and hoofball MK style took over - dukebox went off and we ad to reorg again and then early 2nd half Nelson was gone - I knew after losing 3 key players that at best we could hope was a draw - then the linesman (not the ref) put the nail in the coffin with a bad call for the penalty - all these issues are why we lost the game - very bad luck with injuries and crap officials. One point  to note is that we do seem to lack a back up player with creaticvity in the middle if Hughes is out - so that is where we need a loanee at the moment - but finding a decent one will be almost impossible.....

[quote user="Horse Manure"]

Agree 100 %. Unbelieveable that Lambert thought we could sit deep and defend for 80 odd minutes. If we would have had a go we would have got something out of it. Huddersfield beat them 3-2 by playing attacking football. Powell at the back for them was a donkey and had one of the easiest nights of his career as we never tested him. The injuries to our key players didn''t help but MK were without 2 or 3 so thats no excuse. Poor!

P.S where the fuck is Hoolahan? I want answers from the board/ management etc.

Kick the ball as far forward as we can, allow opposition to run at us as we stand back waiting for them to come forward. Eventually win the ball back and repeat. If Lambert thought we could hold on to a 1-0 lead for 89mins, 43 seconds then he has seen a different defence to me this season. If we were playing Man Utd then fine get a lead and park the bus, but MK Dons. God help us. As seems the case nowadays, training methods seem to be more concerned about where the "coaching manual" tells you to stand when the ball is in a certain area of the pitch, who you have to mark on set pieces and what areas you have to put the ball into. How about spending some time teaching them how to play through teams and not just over the top of them. Simple skills like passing the ball to someone in the same colour kit as you are wearing is obviously not something we spend a lot of time on.

[/quote]

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]That''s just not true.  Hughes departure did not turn the game, for the previous 10 minutes MKD had come back into it..  The simple fact is that we were very poor tonight - they got their pen, we didn''t but it doesn''t disguise the fact that MKD thoroughly deserved 3 points.  Aside from the first 15 minutes when we played football, all we had was hoof it up to Holt.  If this is progress, then shoot me.  I would love Adeyemi, Smith, Martin, Spillane and Daley to come through, but at the moment it looks like what it is - men vs boys. [/quote]I don''t agree.MK Dons may have had more posession but they were woeful footballers. They very rarely held posession for very long in important areas and their best chance in open play fell to Gobern who on that showing was useless.The formation we started out with which looked almost to be a 4-5-1/4-3-3 was working well against them because they did not seem capable of one or two touch football.And people keep banging on about the first 15-20mins, they were never even in the hunt for a goal until the 2nd half and that shows how good we were. I couldn''t care less how much posession we have as long as we do what we need to do with the posession we do have you don''t win games of football just by holding onto the ball for 60 out of 90 minutes if you do sod all with it.Loosing Drury, Hughes and Nelso is EXACTLY what effected us. We were then playing a 20 year old and three 17 year olds in midfield against what can only be described as thugs. They werent being beaten by football, just outmuscled and I have to say that they did a better job than I would expect Etuhu, Robinson etc to be capable of.They did everything they could last night, Adeyemi could have been better but it was a high paced game to come into and I dont think he ever quite settled. You need an experienced head in their to help with that.At the end of the day the ref must have seen the push on Holt. Not only is that a clear penalty its also a straight red. On top of that Chadwick and another player should have gone before the end of the game for two bookable offences going on the grounds of what the ref was giving yellows for in the first place. I would recomend the FA puts a strong ref in charge of future MK Dons games because he gave no protection to any of our players. Holt elbowed in the back of the head and it is deemed he fouls the guy that elbowed him.In fairness we also had enough chances from open play to have been two or three up by half time so to say we played poorly is not the truth, the only thing MK Dons have going for them is their muscle, none were particularily quick and only Puncheon looked half skillful. If they play like that I can also see them getting a whole load of suspensions.

Thank goodness for some common sense chicken. I thought we played the ball around very nicely in the first half, looked more dangerous than they did but were ultimately undone physically and virtually pushed out of the game. I took a lot of heart from last night, even though we lost, compared to some shambles I''ve seen over the last few years with supposedly more experienced pros.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Thank goodness for some common sense chicken. I thought we played the ball around very nicely in the first half, looked more dangerous than they did but were ultimately undone physically and virtually pushed out of the game. I took a lot of heart from last night, even though we lost, compared to some shambles I''ve seen over the last few years with supposedly more experienced pros.[/quote]Absolutely right TW and Chicken. The doomsayers have had a field-day on this one. On many other days we would have won that game. MK barely had a shot on target til the second half and we failed to capitalise on 3 or 4 good first half chances. Que sera. Without the unlucky injuries, brute-force tactics from Ince and poor refereeing we''d have got something from that match. We''re certainly a bit lightweight in midfield and could do with more pace and width, but the defence was largely solid, Holt and Martin had decent games and no goals conceded from open play shows a degree of organisation that bodes well over the course of the season. Top 6.