Sign in to follow this  
Wembley_Canary

Are we too much of a lightweight in the mid-field?

Korey Smith, Adeyami, Daley, Hoolahan, Lappin, Mcveigh are all too much of a leightweight at this level, time and time again last night we were losing out on all the 50/50 balls and the MKD players were skipping past some very weak challenges again and again. Is it not time we got abit more of a physical edge back in the mid-field by allowing Russell the chance to start. Alot of people on this forum moan about him but at this level I think he could be a very useful player as league 1 is such a physical league and we lack both strength and experience in our mid-feild line up and Russell has those in abundance.

It was the injuries that did us last night I''m sure Hughes and Lappin would have been fine in the midfield we were just unfortunate that the injuries came when they did. It left us very lightweight in the middle.

shame russel was injured really. 

Good comment. Last night for certain. Overall, not entirely sure.

Not sure we have the personel for a 4-3-3. IMO what we desperately need is a wise old head or 2. A Dion Dublin type inspirational leader. Would benefit the kids no end.

Actually if you look at Smith in particular I think you will find that they are up to it. Smith basically stopped them playing last night sweeping in front of the back four. The problem came when Hughes went off and we no longer had someone who linked with Smith and the other midfielders.Lappin isnt scared of sticking his foot in which he did on many occaisions. Adeyemi was at one point holding off two of their players.The problem wasnt so much strength it was more that it was a fast paced game and I don''t think Adeyemi ever got up to speed. I am still adamant that MK Dons did not do anything to deserve victory. They had a well taken free kick and a dodgy penalty other than that they had one clear cut chance which their useless striker didnt even try to hit on target.After Hughes coming off it looked as though we were trying to play them on the break and you would have to say that we had several very good chances which we were unlucky with not to mention the most obvious penalty decision of the night not given.I don''t think you can be that derogatory of our team after last night - quite clearly, and I find it hard for anyone to dispute, Norwich were the better footballing side and at least our boys turned up to play football.The more you view that Chadwick tackle the more you think it should have been red, straight through the back of Hughes with both feet off the ground its lucky he didnt break his ankle.

[quote user="Clean Shirt"]

It was the injuries that did us last night I''m sure Hughes and Lappin would have been fine in the midfield we were just unfortunate that the injuries came when they did. It left us very lightweight in the middle.

shame russel was injured really. 

[/quote]Football players get injured. We have zero depth of squad. We have replacements that are not good enough. What happens if Hughes is out for the season. What would happen if god forbid Holt got a season long injury. Injuries only did for us because our squad is so very weak.

[quote user="chicken"]Actually if you look at Smith in particular I think you will find that they are up to it. Smith basically stopped them playing last night sweeping in front of the back four. The problem came when Hughes went off and we no longer had someone who linked with Smith and the other midfielders.Lappin isnt scared of sticking his foot in which he did on many occaisions. Adeyemi was at one point holding off two of their players.The problem wasnt so much strength it was more that it was a fast paced game and I don''t think Adeyemi ever got up to speed. I am still adamant that MK Dons did not do anything to deserve victory. They had a well taken free kick and a dodgy penalty other than that they had one clear cut chance which their useless striker didnt even try to hit on target.After Hughes coming off it looked as though we were trying to play them on the break and you would have to say that we had several very good chances which we were unlucky with not to mention the most obvious penalty decision of the night not given.I don''t think you can be that derogatory of our team after last night - quite clearly, and I find it hard for anyone to dispute, Norwich were the better footballing side and at least our boys turned up to play football.The more you view that Chadwick tackle the more you think it should have been red, straight through the back of Hughes with both feet off the ground its lucky he didnt break his ankle.[/quote]Thanks for the response, I can tell from your posts that your very observant and seem to know what your talking about. For the record I thought there were plenty of positives to come out of last nights performance but yet again I was left with the impression that we weren''t quite strong enough physically just as I thought when I watched the Brentford away game, as more often than not we seemed to come out 2nd best on those scrappy 50/50''s and that''s where I think Russell needs to come into play when he''s fully fit. I wouldn''t like to see Korey Smith dropped though as I really like what he offers this team, he reminds me of the old Claude Makelele of Chelsea.As for last nights game I thought the most crucial moment of the game was when Hughes got injured, it was only then when MKD got into the game and started to dominate possession.

One point that I have not seen mentioned on here but go a lot of attention on Sky was that MK Dons were playing a much weakened team with several first choice players out, including Easter , their top goalscorer The fact that they outplayed us for the last 70 minutes shows how mediocre the current team is.

One point that I have not seen mentioned on here but got a lot of attention on Sky was that MK Dons were fielding a much weakened team with several first choice players out, including Easter , their top goalscorer The fact that they outplayed us for the last 70 minutes shows how mediocre our current team is.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]Good comment. Last night for certain. Overall, not entirely sure. Not sure we have the personel for a 4-3-3. IMO what we desperately need is a wise old head or 2. A Dion Dublin type inspirational leader. Would benefit the kids no end.[/quote]

true, but i stil belivev hughes would have made the tackles and that would have kept us in the game for longer!

Agreed...we looked so good while he was on the field and for about 20 minutes I thought we were going to win easily against a below strength MK ....kicking both Drury and Hughes was their way back in...and tryng get Holt injured as well. Sadly, in the end we could not cope.....

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Korey Smith, Adeyami, Daley, Hoolahan, Lappin, Mcveigh are all too much of a leightweight at this level, time and time again last night we were losing out on all the 50/50 balls and the MKD players were skipping past some very weak challenges again and again. Is it not time we got abit more of a physical edge back in the mid-field by allowing Russell the chance to start. Alot of people on this forum moan about him but at this level I think he could be a very useful player as league 1 is such a physical league and we lack both strength and experience in our mid-feild line up and Russell has those in abundance.
[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more ,our defence isn''t much better though.

I feel we are far to light weight in midfield.  I felt that Daley and Smith were knocked off the ball far to easily.  Partly it''s inexperience but it is also the league we find ourselves in.  I agree that the injuries didn''t help and I also agree that MK Dons battered there way to victory rather than played, but I struggled to find any positives from last night.  Particularly in the 2nd half it looked like our players had never met each other before, I can barely recall them stringing more than a couple of passes together and most frustratingly of all, on the odd occassion we had the ball in there half the midfield were strolling forwards showing frankly little interest.  I know it''s early days but i''m fearful for our chances.  If a couple of injuries have just a great effect on our performance and the team show little interest in September what is it going to be like in darkest December?