Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

This 433/451 system

personally... is so so bloody weak...

We have no real shape, we have no lines of midfield and we have Holt up front trying to win every single ball that the defender hopelessly lump long to him. I cant fully understand playing 433 away like we were doing before the injuries occurred but then we changed to this annoying 451 when the Dons have the ball where the midfield tuck in, and Daley/Martin play as wingers.

All this achieves, with a combination of the ball falling free and dons defenders applying pressure on a lose ball is Nelson/Askou knocking it long to Holt with NOBODY there to win his potential flick ons.

Seriously... what is wrong with a good old 442?

It looked more like a 4-1-4-1 at the start I thought. Smith was certainly playing deeper than Hughes and Lappin and it seemed to be working well until they both got taken out of their roles through first injury and then a change of position. With Smith playing deeper it also allowed Drury and Otesmebor to get forward and get the dangerous early crosses which should have seen us at least 2-0 up at the break.I suspect that what''s wrong with a good old 4-4-2 for us is that we haven''t got a good enough second striker [:^)]

Was it against Brentford in the league we played Cody and Holt up front in a 442, Lappin left and Whaley right, and we made countless chances but Cody didn''t have the composure to put them away... with Martin up there with him 442 could work

I think this system in theory could work, IF Wes Hoolahan is played in the hole behind Holt. Why Lambert won''t give this a chance is beyond me really!

Worked great when we had Earnie up front.

But then saying that we had creative wingers in Hucks and Croft, two beasts in midfield in Etuhu and Safri.

I like the 4-3-3/4-5-1 system if you can bring the midfield into the game to play the front 3 through.

I am a fan of the system that was used alst night, and think that it did work, it was only when we had a midfield with an average age of under 18 that it didnt seem to work. We lost our shape.

The way it should work is a 4-5-1, with wingers tracking back. On attack, the wingers push forward and more central to support the striker, a midfielder gunning forward supplies the late arrival and you have two or one midfielder staying back to help if a counter is launched. simples!

[quote user="Lincs CR"]personally... is so so bloody weak...

We have no real shape, we have no lines of midfield and we have Holt up front trying to win every single ball that the defender hopelessly lump long to him. I cant fully understand playing 433 away like we were doing before the injuries occurred but then we changed to this annoying 451 when the Dons have the ball where the midfield tuck in, and Daley/Martin play as wingers.

All this achieves, with a combination of the ball falling free and dons defenders applying pressure on a lose ball is Nelson/Askou knocking it long to Holt with NOBODY there to win his potential flick ons.

Seriously... what is wrong with a good old 442?[/quote]So you are saying that it can never work and 4-4-2 is the holy grail? Mourinho used the 4-3-3/4-5-1 throughout his time at Chelsea and they were pretty successful.

Comparing Chelsea to Norwich... genius... just genius... you know because Mourinho only had WORLD CLASS midfielder like Essien in that holding role... we have Korey Smith who is still learning their trade...

[quote user="Lincs CR"]Comparing Chelsea to Norwich... genius... just genius... you know because Mourinho only had WORLD CLASS midfielder like Essien in that holding role... we have Korey Smith who is still learning their trade...[/quote]Any team can play that system if they work at it; it is a fairly basic system. But you think the only way we can be successful is by playing 4-4-2? For the record, I think we should play 4-4-2, but if Lambert thinks he can get another formation to work, then let him try it. Until Hughes got injured last night we were doing well in a 4-3-3 system.