Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

Derby Games on Sky

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]Whats with the Sheffield Utd v Sheff Wed match being shown live on Sky on a Friday night . Don''t seem to remember too many Norwich v Ipswich games like this. [/quote]It''s because South Yorkshire Police have the ability to facilitate it. Norfolk and Suffolk Police seem to think that treating football fans like kids and hearding them like animals on a Sunday morning is the way forward.

What''s the history on trouble between these 2 clubs though? Surely that must impact upon policing decisions as much as anything. Or do Norfolk & Suffolk constabularies have more concern over our rivalries?

Do other police forces make derby days feel as intimidating as the Suffolk police do at portaloo road?

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]Whats with the Sheffield Utd v Sheff Wed match being shown live on Sky on a Friday night . Don''t seem to remember too many Norwich v Ipswich games like this. [/quote]

The game was originally fixed for a 12.30 kick off  Saturday (to suit the police).  When Sky decided they wanted to show it the game was switched to the Friday because it would have clashed with a top four Premiership game which Sky are screening.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="mickey phelans tash"]Whats with the Sheffield Utd v Sheff Wed match being shown live on Sky on a Friday night . Don''t seem to remember too many Norwich v Ipswich games like this. [/quote]It''s because South Yorkshire Police have the ability to facilitate it. Norfolk and Suffolk Police seem to think that treating football fans like kids and hearding them like animals on a Sunday morning is the way forward.[/quote]Exactly and that''s why the Norfolk/Suffolk police are a joke, what games have higher potential of kicking of: Norwich V Ipswich or the likes of the Sheff Derby, North London Derby, Mersyside derby, all of which have played night games, yet were lucky if we have time to finish of our full English breakfast without missing the kick off.

Can''t help but agree.  I can''t see any reason why we should''nt have our local Derby played at a sensible time, ok there will be some plonkers but that happens anyway. 

[quote user="kentish lass"]

What''s the history on trouble between these 2 clubs though? Surely that must impact upon policing decisions as much as anything. Or do Norfolk & Suffolk constabularies have more concern over our rivalries?

Do other police forces make derby days feel as intimidating as the Suffolk police do at portaloo road?

[/quote]

I''ve been to quite a few derby matches around the UK and Europe and i have to say that Portaloo Road has to be the least intimidating place i have ever been to on derby day.  It''s completely over policed and played at a ridiculous time and then all you get is a few kids shouting rubbish as you walk to the ground.  If the police were not there then half the Ipswich fans that line the road and mouth off wouldn''t even be there as they wouldn''t have the police protection.

Lots of people on this thread we clearly at the last weekend Norwich vs Ipswich game they didn''t kick off early. It was absolute carnage and no doubt alcohol had something to do with that.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"][quote user="kentish lass"]

[/quote]

I''ve been to quite a few derby matches around the UK and Europe and i have to say that Portaloo Road has to be the least intimidating place i have ever been to on derby day.  It''s completely over policed and played at a ridiculous time and then all you get is a few kids shouting rubbish as you walk to the ground.  If the police were not there then half the Ipswich fans that line the road and mouth off wouldn''t even be there as they wouldn''t have the police protection.

[/quote]

I''m not disputing that. It was the police that I felt intimidated by, not the Ipswich fans. I went to an England v Turkey game some years ago & felt less intimidated there than at Portaloo Road