Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Posh Res v NCFC Res - live now

Thanks for the match report, however it''s now spoiled my original post of wanting to compare one player''s performance in a game I didn''t see to that of another player in the same game based purely on two lines from twitter. Damn you I say!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Thanks for the report on the game, that was an interesting read.[/quote]

Yes indeed Graham. Very interesting and revealing.

But what does it mean for this thread[:^)]

I suspect it''s goodnight Vienna [S]

[/quote]We would probably have kept a clean sheet if Doc hadn''t played, he unsettles all the other defenders and the midfield too, and the goalkeeper.

[quote user="Posh Yella"]

I''ll offer some comments from someone who went to the game....

I think it is fair to say that not many of those on display today will be getting anywhere near the first team this season. Out of the senior players only Wes and Doc looked capable of playing in the first team. Despite the comments on here Doc had a solid enough game and was not at fault for any of the goals. Wes started in centre mid but looked a much better once playing higher up the pitch in the second half. Good finish for his goal.

Whaley was woeful - gave the ball away on numerous occasions, created little and managed to sky a relatively simple finish. Cody rarely got into dangerous postitions and when he did his first touch let him down. Maric partnered him upfront - first time I''d seen him play and expect that it might be the last. The front two were substituted early in the second half and we looked much more of an attacking threat after the change.

Out of the youngsters the two which I had heard the most positive comments about were the most disappointing. Rudd has a long way to go before we can rely on him to be first choice. Seemed to spill a simple save to gift Posh their second and hesitated to make their fifth straight forward as well. Stephens gave away a pointless free kick, after being completing beaten, from which Posh scored their first and made life far to easy for the striker on the third goal. He seems to lack pace and struggled the whole game to deal with Shawn Batt who was playing up front for Posh.

The only young player who I was at all encouraged by was Dawkin who played on the left of midfield. He got to the byline and put in a few dangerous crosses and took his goal well.

Overall not much to be encouraged by and Lambert has a lot of dead wood to get off the clubs books - in my opinion he should start with Whaley and Maric.

[/quote]

Agree with all of this.

I too was at the game with three other hardy souls so there must have been at least five City fans there. Were you the guy in the City shirt ?

I thought Maric looked lethargic and pretty unfit. I''ll be amazed if he gets a first team look-in at all and he looks a poor acquisition. Cody McDonald looked out of sorts today too and the less said about Whaley the better. He was awful ! Rudd didn''t have the best of games in goal - Peterborough''s ? fifth ? goal was a real comedy of errors between him and our defender.

I agree with Posh Yella that we looked more effective once Maric and McDonald were substituted and I thought Hoolahan was our best player by some distance although our No. 11, Josh Dawkin, didn''t do his senior chances any harm today.

Having gone 2-0 down after about six minutes we had too much to do and Peterborough confidently peppered our goal with mainly long range accurate shots whereas most of our shooting - such as it was - was wayward. We could easily have suffered a heavier defeat.

Quite what Paul Lambert made of it all I dread to think although he spent most of his time chatting to Darren Ferguson and the always effervescent Barry Fry. He arrived after we were already 2-0 behind and I hope for the the players sake he was too busy gossiping to take much notice of what was going on on the pitch.

Joe Lewis was also there with some of his team mates. Although Posh aren''t exactly setting the Championship alight I''ll bet after watching this and our first team''s no-show against Walsall a couple of weeks ago he''s not too upset that he left Carrow Road when he did.......

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Posh Yella"]

I''ll offer some comments from someone who went to the game....

I think it is fair to say that not many of those on display today will be getting anywhere near the first team this season. Out of the senior players only Wes and Doc looked capable of playing in the first team. Despite the comments on here Doc had a solid enough game and was not at fault for any of the goals. Wes started in centre mid but looked a much better once playing higher up the pitch in the second half. Good finish for his goal.

Whaley was woeful - gave the ball away on numerous occasions, created little and managed to sky a relatively simple finish. Cody rarely got into dangerous postitions and when he did his first touch let him down. Maric partnered him upfront - first time I''d seen him play and expect that it might be the last. The front two were substituted early in the second half and we looked much more of an attacking threat after the change.

Out of the youngsters the two which I had heard the most positive comments about were the most disappointing. Rudd has a long way to go before we can rely on him to be first choice. Seemed to spill a simple save to gift Posh their second and hesitated to make their fifth straight forward as well. Stephens gave away a pointless free kick, after being completing beaten, from which Posh scored their first and made life far to easy for the striker on the third goal. He seems to lack pace and struggled the whole game to deal with Shawn Batt who was playing up front for Posh.

The only young player who I was at all encouraged by was Dawkin who played on the left of midfield. He got to the byline and put in a few dangerous crosses and took his goal well.

Overall not much to be encouraged by and Lambert has a lot of dead wood to get off the clubs books - in my opinion he should start with Whaley and Maric.

[/quote]

Agree with all of this.

I too was at the game with three other hardy souls so there must have been at least five City fans there. Were you the guy in the City shirt ?

I thought Maric looked lethargic and pretty unfit. I''ll be amazed if he gets a first team look-in at all and he looks a poor acquisition. Cody McDonald looked out of sorts today too and the less said about Whaley the better. He was awful ! Rudd didn''t have the best of games in goal - Peterborough''s ? fifth ? goal was a real comedy of errors between him and our defender.

I agree with Posh Yella that we looked more effective once Maric and McDonald were substituted and I thought Hoolahan was our best player by some distance although our No. 11, Josh Dawkin, didn''t do his senior chances any harm today.

Having gone 2-0 down after about six minutes we had too much to do and Peterborough confidently peppered our goal with mainly long range accurate shots whereas most of our shooting - such as it was - was wayward. We could easily have suffered a heavier defeat.

Quite what Paul Lambert made of it all I dread to think although he spent most of his time chatting to Darren Ferguson and the always effervescent Barry Fry. He arrived after we were already 2-0 behind and I hope for the the players sake he was too busy gossiping to take much notice of what was going on on the pitch.

Joe Lewis was also there with some of his team mates. Although Posh aren''t exactly setting the Championship alight I''ll bet after watching this and our first team''s no-show against Walsall a couple of weeks ago he''s not too upset that he left Carrow Road when he did.......

[/quote]So he scored a cracking goal, set up Dawkin for his. Best player on the pitch, had the right attitude even though he was playing for the reserves?Stupid show pony..

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We would probably have kept a clean sheet if Doc hadn''t played, he unsettles all the other defenders and the midfield too, and the goalkeeper.[/quote]Not forgetting the strikers - that''s why Cureton doesn''t score you see, he''s too busy worrying if he gives the ball to Doc that he''ll belt it into his own net from fifty yards, thus taking his mind of hitting the target when he shoots. "Damn! I missed from six yards again. But at least it keeps the ball away from Doc a bit longer as the goalkeeper has to run towards the Wensum to get the ball back..."

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]So he scored a cracking goal, set up Dawkin for his. Best player on the pitch, had the right attitude even though he was playing for the reserves?Stupid show pony..[/quote]Yeah tell me about it - if he doesn''t score a double hat-trick, sets up ten more, dribbles the ball round the entire pitch five times while simultaneously making a cup of tea then he should be nowhere near the side, quite frankly.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Mister Chops"]We would probably have kept a clean sheet if Doc hadn''t played, he unsettles all the other defenders and the midfield too, and the goalkeeper.[/quote]Not forgetting the strikers - that''s why Cureton doesn''t score you see, he''s too busy worrying if he gives the ball to Doc that he''ll belt it into his own net from fifty yards, thus taking his mind of hitting the target when he shoots. "Damn! I missed from six yards again. But at least it keeps the ball away from Doc a bit longer as the goalkeeper has to run towards the Wensum to get the ball back..."[/quote]That''s not fair!  I don''t see why you''re making Cureton a scapegoat....  [8-)]

Thanks for the report Posh. [Y]Whaley was a good performer for Preston but I just see nothing in him. Another bad game for him to go with the others and not even a sniff of a good performance. Worrying, as I don''t think Daley is ready and McVeigh can''t do the minutes, who else have we got to play on the right... On another front somebody who also seems to be being found out is Cody. For me he''s always look limited and shown why he was playing for Dartford. Hopefully we can up our game a bit for Charlton.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][So he scored a cracking goal, set up Dawkin for his. Best player on the pitch, had the right attitude even though he was playing for the reserves?

Stupid show pony..
[/quote]

Just what i was thinking me old mucker.

In fact its very irritating now. Several people have independantly said that he was the best player by some way, he scores a cracker too, so what does one have to do to get a game on the bench at least after first team players and subs draw one game at home badly and lose another away (not so badly)?

Going to have a low opinion of Lambert if the consistently best player in the reserves can''t make a step up to even a bench in a team who looks devoid of ideas without Hughes.