Sign in to follow this  
canarytim

Lambert needs time

We all want to get out of this league as soon as possible, so it is not surprising some of the frustration we are seeing from contributers on here.

Take Mondays game, 1-0 up playing well (moving the ball a lot quicker than for years) then in a 2 minute spell we lose Drury & Hughes to injury and Holt is denied a stonewall pen. We then lose Nelson and  finish with 3 17 year olds and 3 20 year olds on the pitch and lose to a great free kick and a very dubious penalty. The ref can clearly be seen on replays saying Martin played the ball, so why didn''t he have the strength of his own convictions ?

Anyway in the bigger scheme of things this is irrelevant and this is  why I have a lot of confidence in the future.

Anyone at the NCISA AGM could not have failed to have been impressed with Paul Lambert & David Mcnally. Lambert admitted this squad needs "help" it needs to be fitter and stronger. The 2 seem to me to have a definate plan and a very good working relationship, something we have needed in those positions badly.

He gave the impression that though in the short time he has been here progress has been made, real tangible progress "TeamLambert" if you like will take time and money. And Smudger is right he MUST be backed by the board.

Lambert was forced, despite the size of our squad, to play the youngsters on Monday night and the man who was responsible for that.....Bryan Gunn.

Holt, Hughes & Askou to be fair to Gunny look very good signings and Nelson is looking better( worry about his pace though) but Maric, Whaley, Gill, Tudor-Jones & Theoklitos seems to be money wasted.

So lets give Paul Lambert time and get behind him, because if we do and the Board back him I for one think he will get us out of this division.

I think the club have "sold" Hoolahan, Lambert said at the AGM that he likes Wes as a player he even signed him for Livingston ! I for one wish the Board to re-think this and whatever deal has been done to undo it.

PS Rhoys Wiggins anyone know how close he is to fitness ?

[quote user="canarytim"]

We all want to get out of this league as soon as possible, so it is not surprising some of the frustration we are seeing from contributers on here.

Take Mondays game, 1-0 up playing well (moving the ball a lot quicker than for years) then in a 2 minute spell we lose Drury & Hughes to injury and Holt is denied a stonewall pen. We then lose Nelson and  finish with 3 17 year olds and 3 20 year olds on the pitch and lose to a great free kick and a very dubious penalty. The ref can clearly be seen on replays saying Martin played the ball, so why didn''t he have the strength of his own convictions ?

Anyway in the bigger scheme of things this is irrelevant and this is  why I have a lot of confidence in the future.

Anyone at the NCISA AGM could not have failed to have been impressed with Paul Lambert & David Mcnally. Lambert admitted this squad needs "help" it needs to be fitter and stronger. The 2 seem to me to have a definate plan and a very good working relationship, something we have needed in those positions badly.

He gave the impression that though in the short time he has been here progress has been made, real tangible progress "TeamLambert" if you like will take time and money. And Smudger is right he MUST be backed by the board.

Lambert was forced, despite the size of our squad, to play the youngsters on Monday night and the man who was responsible for that.....Bryan Gunn.

Holt, Hughes & Askou to be fair to Gunny look very good signings and Nelson is looking better( worry about his pace though) but Maric, Whaley, Gill, Tudor-Jones & Theoklitos seems to be money wasted.

So lets give Paul Lambert time and get behind him, because if we do and the Board back him I for one think he will get us out of this division.

I think the club have "sold" Hoolahan, Lambert said at the AGM that he likes Wes as a player he even signed him for Livingston ! I for one wish the Board to re-think this and whatever deal has been done to undo it.

[/quote]

we say every manager needs time, then after a few bad results people want him out - they just can''t win!!!!!

Lambert warrants a substantial amount of time on the basis he clearly has a degree at least, of competence. It was clear (to me at least, and mcnally) that gunn had no such competence. Roeder and granted both flirted with competence but both spectacularly lost the plot.

Lambert may or may not be a success, but I certainly can''t see him leading to the club imploding on the scale achieved by gunn and roeder. Underpinning lambert of course, is mcnally which will inevitably lead to lambo being here for at least 20 more months. A good thing I think despite the fact there will be a fair few disappointing results along the way.

[quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

He wasn''t forced to play youngsters, he choose to omit several of our most experienced players from the squad altogether.

I don''t believe for a minute that they have been ''sold'' and are trying to avoid injury - if that were the case why have they played in the reserves today?

We are paying these guys wages and it''s about time Lambert fielded the strongest team he can instead of playing favourites, Roeder style.

"Sold" is probrably the wrong word, but my information (and it came from a very good source indeed !) was that Burnley put in a substantial  bid for Rusty which Gunn turned down expecting them to come back with a better offer, they didn''t.  So we are left with a player who has hardly trained and who mentally has already left.

Lets not forget he did tell Gunn he wanted to leave.

Now Hoolahan, his omittance from the squad to me is completly different to Rusty. I do feel the club should come clean over what the true  position with Hoolahan is.

We know from fellow contributors on here that Gunn was meant to sell Hoolahan but he didn''t which others have said played a part in his downfall, I believe this to be the case.

Now Hoolahan unlike Rusty is fit and has always tried and I believe 100% he should be in the squad at least. He was our best player pre-season.

This brings us to the manager who said at the NCISA AGM  he liked Hoolahan as a player and that he signed him for Livingston.

I got the impression their was more going on with Hoolahan than we have been told, so I ask Mr Mcnally to let us know where we stand over Wesley Hoolahan.

The last "senior" player left out was Docs who it now seems is on his way out of Carrow Road, but at least we know as we have been told. Of course this is sad as Docs is a winner of our Player of the Year and at times has been unfairly pilloried in the past, but I do think now is the right time for both player & club to part.

So I stand by my opinion that Lambert was forced by the club and Gunny''s mistakes in fielding so many youngsters. 

I personally applaud Lambert for giving the youngsters a chance. They are our future and bleed yellow and green and are in direct contrast to some of the expensive journeymen that we have wasted money on over the past few years. These youngsters will get us out of this division and it is unfair to say that they are not good enough when they are still at an early stage of development.   

Lambert does need time, and he does need money. It looks like we have fallen in here and asking us to get promoted this season may be too much. We have some quality in the side, but it is not throughout the team or squad for that matter. If we have a run of good form towards the end of the season I can see us seanking into the play offs.

People can bash me for being negative, but I am happy that the rot has stopped and the ship has been steadied. We need to build now.

I''m not convinced about Lambert. The money spent on compensation could have been spent on players, who are far more important than managers any day. Lambert evokes too many echoes of Grant and Roeder for me, and I don''t see loan players remedying the situation. The development of young players could make a difference, but most probably not this season, as the latest reserve game demonstated. I wish I could be more hopeful about this year, but it looks like another struggle to me.

I complety agree with the OP, I have my severe doubts we will make get promoted this season but I think finally we have the right sort of man in charge...this bloke (no respect to the previous ones) is a proper manager in all senses of the word, he has inherited a halve-decent squad for this league but it lacks depth as we saw against mkdons....imo we have to give lambert the time, we need a settled manager desperately

Dunno how and why anyone could be upset with Lambert to be fair ?Hes by far the best manager we have had since Worthy, I think his potential also surpasses Worthy''s to be honest.What he needs is some transfer funds !Any one who honestly wants him out of the club should go back to Football / Championship Manager and continue winning the Champions League with thier 2-3-5 tactic  [:#]

[quote user="I am a Banana"] we say every manager needs time, then after a few bad results people want him out - they just can''t win!!!!![/quote]

Thats the problem. I think he had done fairly decent so far.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Lambert knows what he''s doing, and none of us, none! are qualified to question that.[:|][/quote]But didn''t Peter have a plan too Wiz? [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]Lambert knows what he''s doing, and none of us, none! are qualified to question that.[:|][/quote]But didn''t Peter have a plan too Wiz? [;)][/quote]

Oh he had a plan alright Lapps............he just couldn''t carry it out![;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="canarytim"]

[/quote]

we say every manager needs time, then after a few bad results people want him out - they just can''t win!!!!!

[/quote]

One bad result in the case of Gunn. Inherits a pile of crap and a poisonous atmosphere from Roeder with little time left and no money in the January window, unsurprisingly unable to avoid the drop (with the crap he inherited) but nevertheless gets slated for it, gets rid of players (including that w_______ker Fotheringham), brings in players, rehabs players, gives youth a chance, has best pre-season of any Norwich manager in years, has one off freak result against Colchester followed by 4-0 bounce-back against Yeovil but still gets sacked by the new MD who IMO didn''t like Gunn and wanted to make his mark. I want Lambert to succeed because I am a Norwich supporter but I have to be honest and admit that I am so angry and disgusted by the Club''s (and many fans'') behaviour in regard to Gunn that part of me would have a good laugh if Lambert fails (i.e. lower mid-table or below). I would love to see our new MD given the boot as unceremoniously as Gunn.