Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Is Lambert another Roeder?

As said at the start of the topic, Lambert to me seems more of a Martin O''Neil than a Glenn Roeder.

[quote user="colneycanary"]The way he is treating certain players reminds me of how Glen Roeder used to treat a few players and staff. The way he is treating Hoolahan is shocking! [/quote]

Based on what? 

He doesnt fit our system at the moment, so he doesn''t get played. Get over it.

TEAM first.

We were told by the Colchester fans that he would sort out the defence first and so far it seems to be the case despite what Lamberts inherited from Gunn & Co. The next two league games should give us an indication of how much more work is required regarding the defence (using the inherited players).  

I met some Colchester fans outside Morrisons after the Colchester 7-1 win against us and they told me it took Lambert a season to getting them playing like they did against us. If the style of fast football, playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up then it cant come soon enough.

Finally Lambert needs time to move players out of the existing squad and bring in players of his liking into the squad.

[quote user="jimbob"]

The game Saturday was crying out with 20 minutes to play, for Hoolahan . We had no plan b and not a single player on the pitch who could create anything. I was board stiff and if this is the dross,  we are going to watch week in week out the club will continue to decline.  

[/quote]

However you have to consider what options were open to Lambert - just look at the players he has inherited from Gunn & Co.. Is Hoolahan a pacey winger that would break open the oppositions defence? 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I''m sick of this nancy prancy poor footballer pretty boys, who go boo hoo and cry into their Moet in the VIP lounge of Mercy whilst seeking solace and comfort from Domestos dyed barnet and Tango orange tanned limpet luvverlies...because they''ve had a bad day on the pitch.....

Kiss the club badge? Kiss my hearse!

[/quote]

Classic Mello Yello!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Having met Paul Lambert for the first time tonight I am now even more confident that if suitably backed by the board of directors he will lead us to promotion.

We have a potentially GREAT manager on here in my opinion... lets us all hope that the board can find some additional finance to back him.

[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Daphne (formerly Old Yellow Bird) stated: Lambert actually seems to like us!

--------------------------

He even liked Smudger!

[/quote]

haha you all love me really Tangy and realise after a good talking to that I am right in the end.

The Crewe winger that I was trying to tell Lambert I was impressed with what I seen on The Championship last week was Joel Grant... only a 22yr old who hasn''t played many games for them, but I think he has real potential.

Still think he may be interested in trying to get McNamee in before the end of January, as he did mention that although Swindon want too much for him his contract is up at the end of the season.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

He even liked Smudger!

[/quote]

Still think he may be interested in trying to get McNamee in before the end of January, as he did mention that although Swindon want too much for him his contract is up at the end of the season.

[/quote]

A pacey winger who can CROSS the ball well is what we need to feed the horse.

Hopefully a replacement for Barndoor is next on the list.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

He even liked Smudger!

[/quote]

[/quote]

A pacey winger who can CROSS the ball well is what we need to feed the horse.

Hopefully a replacement for Barndoor is next on the list.

[/quote]

and a centre back and right back me thinks??? [:^)]

[quote user="bristol_canary"]hoolihan is not our best player, certainly no fan''s favourite. Hucks was our best player and the fans loved him. You can hardly compare the two
[/quote]

Cannot disagree more with you, got to know Hoolahan was the player who GR brings to replace Hucks! What a joke! The guy was never same as Hucks class.

Now after 5 years of service, player of the season in 2006, and came close on a couple of other occasions, Dotherty has been thrown out! Nice way to treat players! Not! So Nelson is better is he? How many player of the season awards will he win? How about zero! So the Doc might not be in the best form right now, but all players go in and out of form. The way Lambert is treating players is starting to get on my nerves! Big time!

[quote user="colneycanary"]Now after 5 years of service, player of the season in 2006, and came close on a couple of other occasions, Dotherty has been thrown out! Nice way to treat players! Not! So Nelson is better is he? How many player of the season awards will he win? How about zero! So the Doc might not be in the best form right now, but all players go in and out of form. The way Lambert is treating players is starting to get on my nerves! Big time![/quote]

I''d imagine they would have performed to a similar standard this

season, however, I''d bet good money that Doc is on at least double what

Nelson is so needs to be shipped out.

It''ll be interesting to see where he ends up, he was not  good enough

for Prem -> Championship -> League 1.  It''s no coincidence that

we became defensively poor around the same time he joined the club...  Personally I''ve agreed with nearly everything Lambert has done so far barring the repeated starts or barndoor.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"]

"TEAM first.

We were told by the Colchester fans that he would sort out the defence first and so far it seems to be the case despite what Lamberts inherited from Gunn & Co. The next two league games should give us an indication of how much more work is required regarding the defence (using the inherited players).  

I met some Colchester fans outside Morrisons after the Colchester 7-1 win against us and they told me it took Lambert a season to getting them playing like they did against us. If the style of fast football, playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up then it cant come soon enough.

Finally Lambert needs time to move players out of the existing squad and bring in players of his liking into the squad."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so you heard it here first and it must be official because it''s from Tangible Fixed Assets : If Lambert fails then it''s due to the players he inherited BUT if Lambert succeeds it''s because he''s a great manager and ergo a much better manager than Gunn. A definite win win for the Lambert luvvies and particularly those who having met McBert are now his greatest fans. No mention of course of the absolute shambles, poisonous atmosphere, and poor quality players (many of them loanees of course) inherited by Gunn. Difference is that Lambert has the opportunity to achieve success with the squad put together by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook, they weren''t. He started with two successive wins so everything in the garden was rosy. Then the dire and dour draw with Walsall and the defeat against MK Dons and, hey presto, the inevitable murmurings of "well, of course, poor Lambert, what can he do with the crap players inherited from Gunn" - players such as Hughes, Holt, Askou etc and the rehabilitated Lappin ! 

As for the comment  "If the style of fast football, playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up then it cant come soon enough" let me draw your attention to the considered observation from Camuldonum earlier in this thread :

"And in our 0-0 draw (nail biting game) (Colchester away at Southampton)  I haven''t seen us play with that "freedom" since Parkinson. Maybe Lambo wasn''t right for our club but is he right for yours?"

I have never understood why a Colchester United supporter comes on here as often as he does but you have to respect his knowledge and opinion.

[quote user="Lambo"]As said at the start of the topic, Lambert to me seems more of a Martin O''Neil than a Glenn Roeder.[/quote]

Ha ha, perhaps you overlooked Sir Alex Ferguson. Blimey, you''re getting a bit ahead of yourself aren''t you ?

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="Lambo"]As said at the start of the topic, Lambert to me seems more of a Martin O''Neil than a Glenn Roeder.[/quote]

Ha ha, perhaps you overlooked Sir Alex Ferguson. Blimey, you''re getting a bit ahead of yourself aren''t you ?

[/quote]

O''Neill tends to pick the 11 players on form and thinks about team shape first and foremost... Thats exactly what Lambert''s done here.

Glenn Roeder dropped players and culled staff in a bid to stamp his authority on the club.

Thus... Lambert strikes me as being more like Martin O''Neil than Glenn Roeder.

I''m with Lambo on this one...

He has played under amrtin O''Neill and no doubt used some of his methods.

Lmabert has stamped his mark on the team by culling have to squad and replaced them with borrowed players. He is using what he has, picking the shape to fit the best players he has. Was forced into changing things last time out and his midfield of teenagers weren''t up to it. When Agbonlahor first played for Villa, no one batted an eye-lid. Give this manger time and let him and is staff work with the squad. He may be waiting to get players in towards the end of October on loan with a view to buy in January. Can only get a 3 month loan deal at the this stage of the season.

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

O''Neill tends to pick the 11 players on form and thinks about team shape first and foremost... Thats exactly what Lambert''s done here.

Glenn Roeder dropped players and culled staff in a bid to stamp his authority on the club.

[/quote]

Ruddy good call Lambo.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I for one won''t be too bothered if he turns out to be O''Neill in disguise.  It''s about time we had a manage who actually has the balls to "manage" the team according to their ability rather than managing either by chuminess or by fear.Along with McNally who obviously doesn''t take any cr*p, it would appear that we''ve got a management team in that actually want to put decent team out on Saturdays.   Now if that means developing some of the teenage talent that we''ve got, then I personally don''t have too many issues with that.  It''s just a shame that, to paraphrase another thread on here, that we didn''t realise that we were doomed a lot earlier & start getting them used to life in Div 1 a lot, lot earlier.

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, but when Roeder came in the first thing he did was give the team a solid 4-4-2 shape, attacking down the right hand side and defending on the left - hence Huckerby was treated in a manner not dissimilar to Hoolahan.  The dropping was similar to start with, and the culling came later.Yes, I think there are similarities.  But I think any new manager coming in needs to make changes, so it''s too early to say.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Anybody who can''t see that Lambert holds Martin O'' Neill as a role model is pretty blind in my opinion... from the way he dresses, to his mannerism''s, to his tactics and being his own man regardless of what is said about him.

Question is how many of the above qualities did Roeder also have and how many did Gunny have?

Once again I will say that if we had of kept Roeder and blamed the board we would still be in the Championship.  It is about time that some fans accepted that by driving Roeder out they played a huge part in our relegation.

I''l admit at the time I wanted Glenn out as IMO he''d shot the players of any confidence and they didn''t look like they wanted to play for him and I even posted saying as it''d my birthday please get rid of him... 12 hours later he was gone.

How I wish I had the benifit of hindsight now though.