Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Is Lambert another Roeder?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

I don''t think he''s a Roeder.....But the team was crying out for a change at half-time....I felt, it just didn''t come soon enough.

So, is Lambert another Gunn?.....

I don''t care if Lambert bullwhips the squad and makes them train in deep-sea waders, oilskins and a Sou''wester.....If we get the required results and play a decent standard of football, that''s what he''s here for and I''ll be happy with that.

I''m sick of this nancy prancy poor footballer pretty boys, who go boo hoo and cry into their Moet in the VIP lounge of Mercy whilst seeking solace and comfort from Domestos dyed barnet and Tango orange tanned limpet luvverlies...because they''ve had a bad day on the pitch.....

Kiss the club badge? Kiss my hearse!

Now, what was the title of the thread again? 

[/quote]

Agreed but what is possibly right for one squad may not fit another.

Isn''t that the actual trick?[:|]

[/quote]

We''ll never know.....Lambert will be gone by December.....

I think that there is a lot of wishful thinking about Lambert. He had a mediocre season with Colchester last year to finish mid-table (16 wins, 7 draws, 14 losses) and is likely to do similarly with City this year once he hacks the team about yet again (for the fifth time in four seasons) and brings in loan players who he feels comfortable with. Then when he is off again later on, we can go through all this again with a new manager! Great way to build a team!

So thinks The Girl Upstairs currently stuck in Hull on a story [+o(]

"A fiver he is gone by Christmas."

Being a doting Dad I doubled it to a tenner, shades of Dixmar.[;)]

Truth is neither of us know how it will work out - either Lambo or Aidy.[:D]

Lambert reminds me far more of worthington.

Both brought in to take control of a sinking/out of control ship. Solid, unspectacular, workmanlike. Not going to please everyone but right now we gave to go back to basics.

Also, the threads on lamberts tactics, I''m sure there were almost identical ones during worthys time. Fact is everyone us too quick to judge, worthys CV was woeful, his tactical nous limited, his ability to manage tricky characters questionable and his transfer dealings hit and miss, but for whatever reason he was able to get a team to play for one another and over achieve. Those who think somewhere out there is a perfect manager for us are in cuckoo land, no manager is guaranteed success anywhere and it''s very hard to define the characteristics necessary for a manager to achieve success. Essentially what I''m saying is comparing lambert to past managers and hoping to extrapolate the results to reach a conclusion on lamberts chances of success are barking up the wrong tree.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

No, I don''t think he is another Roeder but I think there is certainly a Roeder "undercoat" on the gloss which is my patented phrase elsewhere.

[/quote]

Are you trying to say he''ll win us the Paint Pot[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

No, I don''t think he is another Roeder but I think there is certainly a Roeder "undercoat" on the gloss which is my patented phrase elsewhere.

[/quote]

Are you trying to say he''ll win us the Paint Pot[:^)]

[/quote]

He might! I honestly don''t feel he was right for us - in terms of being a "little old Norwich" you just can''t hold a candle to us!

It just didn''t sit right.  Some of your lot claim to be Little Old Norwich - in which case we are Tiny (and we are).

It was not right for us but it could be right for you.

Anyway in the spirit of the Romans: "He came, he saw and ****** off."

We are ill at ease with Billy Big Thingies this end.[+o(]

More importantly I saw a different team on Saturday.  Yes, it was also 0-0 but I was still terribly proud, our keeper punched the air when the final whistle blew.[:|]

Ever the optimist, I believe I have my club back.

If Roeder was still in Charge and certain sections of our support had of targetted the Stowmarket two instead of a manager who had done an ok if unspectacular job, then we would probably still be playing Championship football.

Do not forget, that a couple of weeks after Roeder had taken Grant''s team out of the bottom 3 they never once entered the relegation zone again.

Don''t let the facts get in the way of your sentimental rubbish though!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think that there is a lot of wishful thinking about Lambert. He had a mediocre season with Colchester last year to finish mid-table (16 wins, 7 draws, 14 losses) and is likely to do similarly with City this year once he hacks the team about yet again (for the fifth time in four seasons) and brings in loan players who he feels comfortable with. Then when he is off again later on, we can go through all this again with a new manager! Great way to build a team![/quote]

or a win bonus of 44% during his time at Colchester... [:$]

You really are a clown aren''t you???

Blimey I agree with Smudge.  Roeder claims: "I would have kept them up but they decided otherwise."

As we cannot rewind any of this stuff you will not know.

Fired after a nothing game in a nothing competition.

[quote user="jimbob"]

The game Saturday was crying out with 20 minutes to play, for Hoolahan . We had no plan b and not a single player on the pitch who could create anything. I was board stiff and if this is the dross,  we are going to watch week in week out the club will continue to decline.  

[/quote]

Hoolahan would of fitted in well then.

Remind me how many goals in how many games he has created for us again... [:$]

2 goals and 4 assists in 31 league games if these stats are to be believed http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=16696&cc=5739

You are lucky if you get one reasonably good game out of him in 5 and even when he is creating he still gives the ball away to the opposition far too often and far too cheaply.

Hoolahan is an extremly poor player and an ever increasing number of City fans have started to realise this.

Let us look at it how the Hoolahan fans wanted to look at it last season shall we?  So far this season we have 1 point in 3 games with him in the team and 7 points in 3 with him out of it.

Now provide some real recent evidence of why he warrants a place in the squad.

Blimey I agree with Smudge.  Roeder claims: "I would have kept them up but they decided otherwise."

[/quote]

Well Cam, it is plain to see for me that with Gunn left in charge we would of been absolutely miles off a play-off place this year.

I think that if Lambert gets anywhere near keeping his win ratio at 40% plus then we are not going to be too far away come May.

He already has ground to make up on Charlton and Leeds but yet again is working with his hands tied.  We need at least 3 or 4 players (one centre back, one striker, a right back and take your choice out of another goalkeeper or winger) to give us a squad that will be strong enough of clinching either automatic promotion or promotion via the play-offs in my opinion.

The board need to ensure that Lambert can get these players in on loan as soon as possible to see us through to the January transfer window, otherwise I believe that even more ground will be lost on the leaders and we will have a real fight on our hands for a play-off place at best.

If Lambert is the boards man then they need to start BACKING HIM.

Okay, let us try this again.  Hoolahan is out of the door (which he is). so who is the flair player up front and why did the flair player go missing v Walsall?

Big CB excuse won''t work.

Go on......................

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Well Cam, it is plain to see for me that with Gunn left in charge we would of been absolutely miles off a play-off place this year.

I think that if Lambert gets anywhere near keeping his win ratio at 40% plus then we are not going to be too far away come May.

He already has ground to make up on Charlton and Leeds but yet again is working with his hands tied.  We need at least 3 or 4 players (one centre back, one striker, a right back and take your choice out of another goalkeeper or winger) to give us a squad that will be strong enough of clinching either automatic promotion or promotion via the play-offs in my opinion.

The board need to ensure that Lambert can get these players in on loan as soon as possible to see us through to the January transfer window, otherwise I believe that even more ground will be lost on the leaders and we will have a real fight on our hands for a play-off place at best.

[/quote]

Let''s forget Gunn for a moment.  Why fire your manager after a nothing game in a nothing competition?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let''s forget Gunn for a moment.  Why fire your manager after a nothing game in a nothing competition?

[/quote]

If we are talking about Roeder, was the nothing competition the FA Cup???  I see your point as in we are not likely to be winning it.

The over sentimental majority of Norwich fans (wrongly in my opinion) called for his head Cam.  You know that I think they should of been targetting a certain duo on the board.  Norwich fans seem to have this thing about tackling the easy option... manager after manager after manager, followed by the easily disposable board members.

We now have a manager in Lambert who is about as good as any team in the bottom 3 of the third division could hope to have... 7 points out of 9 (as opposed to 1 point from 9) and still some are not happy and startink to peck cheaply at the new manager.

I know being a Colchester fan that you will enjoy watching Lambert attempt to battle against the thankless task of working for Smith & Jones that he accepted???

Okay, let us try this again.  Hoolahan is out of the door (which he is). so who is the flair player up front and why did the flair player go missing v Walsall?

[/quote]

Hoolahan the flair player???

Have you taken a look at his career stats ever Cam?

How many goals has he scored and created again?

MacDonald or my preferance Daley upfront for me I''m afraid, take the cash for Hoolahan and use it to bring somebody in who can really cause danger to opposition defences.

[;)][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

MacDonald or my preferance Daley upfront for me I''m afraid, take the cash for Hoolahan and use it to bring somebody in who can really cause danger to opposition defences.

[/quote]

Nope, don''t bother with career stats.

Instead try this.

Imagine you are the Colchester manager[+o(]

Which of your current attackers should we put two men on?

[:P]

Freezing out players is one aspect that reminds me of roeder, but i wouldnt compare them this early on. I can see why he dropped doc and i can also understand why Hoolahan doesnt make the first team - if Lambert wasnt some balance and discipline in the squad Hoolahan may be a luxury he cannot afford. During Roeders brief successful period at Norwich, he did get some success with having Bertrand on the left and tracking back. However, I dont see the point of banishing the Hoolahan type players completely, because in games where we are lacking any ideas or need to turn it around, its good to have something different available on the bench, especially of hoolie''s quality

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Freezing out players is one aspect that reminds me of roeder, but i wouldnt compare them this early on. I can see why he dropped doc and i can also understand why Hoolahan doesnt make the first team - if Lambert wasnt some balance and discipline in the squad Hoolahan may be a luxury he cannot afford. During Roeders brief successful period at Norwich, he did get some success with having Bertrand on the left and tracking back. However, I dont see the point of banishing the Hoolahan type players completely, because in games where we are lacking any ideas or need to turn it around, its good to have something different available on the bench, especially of hoolie''s quality[/quote]

I think you are spot-on with your comments but the situation with Hoolahan is probably more to do with moving him on to generate finance to bring in other much needed players.  I''m not a Hoolahan fan but somewhere in the squad we need a few players that can do something different. 

Doc is simply not playing down to Lamberts faith in him and his ability. Hoolahan on the otherhand is perfectly good enough to play in the first team week in and week out and is wanted by Lambert however Mr Gunns qoutes in the paper were not exactly true to wes''s words. When asked by Lambert on his arrival a very mopey Hoolahan said he wanted a higher level of football, hence his absence.

[quote user="kentish lass"]

[quote user="canaryfan68"]Lambert is not another Roeder, he is more like Martin o''Neil who selects his players on how they play and not how they could play. Reputations seem to count for very little and rightly so. Hoolahan looks like he can''t be bothered when he takes the pitch,and Doherty has never been a great defender just a great club person. I think Lambert is a breath of fresh air and is taking the club in the right direction. I don''t believe that every Business owner gets on well with all their employees so why should it be any different with a manager and his players who are overpaid with inflated egos?[/quote]

I''ll go along with this. How they play is key to selection, not how they could play.

As for Doherty, I think his time is at an end for us. Look back at posts from years gone by and you''ll see that Malky got slated when he made mistakes towards the end of his City career. However, many of Malky''s errors were countered by his ability to lead and boss the team around on the pitch, plus he endeavoured to rectify errors, whereas Doc seems to lose confidence when he makes a mistake, keeping his head down instead of getting on with the game.

[/quote]

A very insightful post.

Bump.

OTBC

[quote user="Camuldonum"][;)][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Instead try this.

[/quote]

At the moment I would probably put 3 on Holt, as most teams have been doing.

No need for the defence to mark Hoolahan if he should get a game... he will give the ball away cheaply to one of your midfielders.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"][;)][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Instead try this.

[/quote]

No need for the defence to mark Hoolahan if he should get a game... he will give the ball away cheaply to one of your midfielders.

[/quote]

The problem with Mr Holt is that his first touch is poor...........if it wasn''t he wouldn''t be stuck in League One.  Same with Beckford at Leeds.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"][;)][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Instead try this.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which teams have put three on Holt?

I can see similar traits in lambert... Roeders utter contempt for certain players, that eventually seemed to progress to everyone around him at the club was ultimatly what caused the terrible form and his dismissle. Reading about his treatment of some players at colchester (was a thread about it on here somewhere) and the way he SEEMS to be treating certain players here, there could be a similar issue down the line...

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"][;)][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Instead try this.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which teams have put three on Holt?

[/quote]

Hartlepool... and by the sounds of it Walsall seemed to know that stop Holt playing and you stop Norwich.

Problem with Hoolahan is that every touch apart from his first touch is (usually) poor... [:P]

Quote - ''We now have a manager in Lambert who is about as good as any team in the bottom 3 of the third division could hope to have''.

- Question - ever heard of ambition?

Having met Paul Lambert for the first time tonight I am now even more confident that if suitably backed by the board of directors he will lead us to promotion.

We have a potentially GREAT manager on here in my opinion... lets us all hope that the board can find some additional finance to back him.

Totally agree Smudger. Lambert came across as totally competent, honest, committed to winning - and realistic about the capabilities and weaknesses of the current squad.

Also - and this was an unexpected bonus - he is very bright and has a great sense of humour.

Is he another Roeder - no way! Lambert actually seems to like us!