Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Darren Huckerby - Post your memories

Well put CT.[Y]I think you speak for an entire generation of Norwich City fans in that post.

Hucks...When Smith n'' Jones paraded you in front of the crowd on that Boxing Day.  Little did we know at that time we were hoodwinked by the Stowmarket two thinking they dipped into their pockets.  Thank you Carl Moore for shelling out on a decent player when our useless board couldn''t afford it.

Macanaker''s older Emu - whined:

Mello has a bigger gob than Hucks.... FACT

Mello has a bigger knob than Hucks....FACT ME!.....

....IT''S HUGEYMONGOOSE!

Hucks always played for the fans - if you ever sat in the Jarrold Stand when he was playing there was always a bit of banter, but he seemed to genuinely care about this football club more than any player in the last 10 years. He knew how passionately supported this club is and he was always ready to talk to the press about matters of concern. When he did his comments always hit the nail on the head, he always said we were selling our best players (Etuhu, Safri, Earnshaw) and he was absolutely right, we''ve plummeted since. We wanted Worthy out for only finishing 9th in the Championship but those halcyon days now seem like a distant dream. Good luck in your recovery Darren, hope to see you driving down the B1113 soon!

Darren Huckerby was and still is my favourite Norwich player. The way he used to light up the game was just spellbinding. Every time he got the ball the ground just fell silent and everyone sat up to see what he was going to produce next. He loves this club as much as we do. I would have loved to see him come back as a player but coach will do [:D]. You never here of Hucks for the wrong reasons. Its always him being the decent man he is. On and off the pitch. That is the reason he was my footballing idol all the other lads wanted to be your Ronaldos or Rooneys well i wanted to be like Huckerby.

Good Luck Darren in whatever you choose, but hopefully you wont have to choose and you can come back

I think CA & CT have covered it quite well; as for individual moments:

The first farewell, where he ripped Cardiff apart on his own; and of course the boxing day arrival.

Then there was the many happy times he turned ipswich inside out, his derby goals, and leaving Wilnis and co on many a merry dance.

THAT goal against Birmingham.

In the Prem, unfortunately i wasn''t at Highbury; but i remember him scoring an equaliser right in front of meat St Andrews.

The volley at Milton Keynes, to brighten up an awful day, and send us fans crammed onto the temporary stands into one hell of a din.

So many more, so many good times, Hucks is irreplaceable unfortunately, not just for his ability but his loyalty in this day;

Its a shame a certain man had to spoil it; but even that didnt stop his support, a great guy, now fot the last hurrah..a testimonial.

Darren, thank you for all the happy times that you gave us. I''ll never forget your final game at Sheff Weds. What a sad day......and it''s been sad ever since....says it all. Wishing you and your family all the very best for the future.

Do you remember the 21st night of september?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

Ba de ya - say do you remember
Ba de ya - dancing in september
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see you
Only blue talk and love,
Remember how we knew love was here to stay

Now december found the love that we shared in september.
Only blue talk and love,
Remember the true love we share today

Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

Ba de ya - golden dreams were shiny days

and why has the Huckerby tribute on youtube (the one as shown by Kron TV in America, when he signed) been removed from youtube; that was the best of them!!

Will go down as a true legend at this club..

Someone who cared about the club, fans etc etc.... If only more were the same

I guess the goal against Cardiff before his loan finished, but there were so many highs.

The biggest low was that ar....le Rooder getting rid without telling us.

Huckerby is a top man

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]And we''ll stick them in the Evening News tomorrow...[/quote]

sorry has Darren Popped his clogs?

why didnt we do this when he left?

jas :)

Whilst lauded, quite rightly, for his brilliant performances on the pitch - who can forget his solo goal against Birmingham or his two pearlers against Blackpool - for me Hucks will always have a place in my heart due to his love and passion for the club, fans, city and county. We all moan nowadays about a lack of characters on a football pitch but Hucks was different from that, a real ambassador for the club and someone who genuinely cared, even going as far as to speak out during our slump towards a loaning club, a move that resulted in him being shown the back door by an egotist and depriving us of a brilliant player who wanted to stay nearly as much as we did.

A brilliant player with a brilliant attitude who I''m sure we''ll see in the stands of Carrow Road for many years to come

Recently, one of the blokes (or honorary blokes) on here said that there weren''t many different songs being sung at Carrow Road at the moment.  I was reminded of an attempt by Delia Smith way back in the day, through her notes in the Norwich City programme, to get the crowd to sing a song for Cedric Anselin.  It was never sung.  To get a song in your name from the faithful, it helps if your name fits a tune, but if you can carry the crowds'' hopes with your performances, get them going by running length of the pitch with the ball or laying on a killer pass, if you can put a few goals away, you''ll get a song, even if it''s just your name repeated.  Darren Huckerby could do all that, and Darren Huckerby was one of those who earned his song.

the feeling deep in your stomach while walking down to carrow road in 2003 wondering quite what the great man would produce that day and he never disappointed . what a player !

For me he''s the greatest ever for his love of everything Norwich and for the buzz whenever he got the ball because you knew that something special could be about to happen. I think it''s easy to forget now that he''s been associated with us for so long what a big deal it was when he first came on loan that Darren Huckerby was going to be playing for us.

He was something special and will always remember the way he took on defenders and left them in his wake.

The most exciting player I have ever seen at Carrow Road and when he received the ball there was always that anticipation that something out of the ordinary was about to happen.

Hucks was and is still a true City Legend!

Two things stick in my mind about the great man!

His celebration after getting Citys 3rd in the 3-1 win at CR against the Scum in the Title season!

Just the way his face changed from (almost) serious into a broad grin! Legend!

And, for some reason, his second goal in the 5-2 rout at Burnley!

Darren Huckerby, Club Ambassador!!!!!!!

OTBC!

Another dimension to most other players (in Norwichs case almost every player!)

Great skill

Awesome pace!

Great commitment to the club!

Always capable of making something happen!

End product!

Ridiculous decision by Roeder to release him!

Three of my personal favourite Huckerby, “off the pitch” moments

1/ QPR away, it was the game we drew 3-3 in Martin Hunter’s only game in charge. My daughter Gemma was the away mascot, and got to run out with him on to the pitch.  As they appeared through the tunnel jogging past I snapped my camera, more in hope than in expectation. I took a brilliant picture of Gemma looking really worried and Hucks laughing. When I asked what Darren had said to her pre-match she said, “Sorry Daddy, I don’t remember”

2/ Before a game a couple of years ago, Gemma was in the scrum for autographs as Hucks was spending some time signing things for the kids. Gemma had just thrust out her autograph book to him when a big kid, around twelve years old, barged through the crowd, with a hat to sign. “Are you Huckerby?”, he shouted at Darren. “No mate, sorry, he’s over there”, was the reply as he pointed over to a group of players across the other side of the pitch. “I’m just the bloke they send over to do the autographs”. It got some laughs from the grown-ups around me.

3/ I was lucky enough to be on the Scrimmage last season when Hucks was the guest, as was another PinkUn message board poster. After the show we had a good chat with Darren, and he gave us both a lift back to Norwich station. An interesting hour with one of my all-time heroes and a more interesting chat after on the way home about his times at NCFC.

On the pitch favourite moments– too many to mention apart from “that” goal against Birmingham, one of the best ever I have been at Carrow Road.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"and Darren Huckerby was one of those who earned his song."

Or earnt Bellamy''s song... ;)[/quote]Heh - good point !  I suppose Dion got Iwans'' song too !

My first and lasting memory of Huckerby was when we played Reading at home. I think Huckerby scored the first, they replied, and we got the winner in the last minute to go 3rd in the table.

Huckerby was fantastic that night, and I remember being so excited that he was a Norwich player. I think from that game I knew we could get promoted that year. It was a great feeling.