Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Darren Huckerby - Post your memories

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]And we''ll stick them in the Evening News tomorrow...[/quote]You make it sound like he''s dead!

Darren, you are, and always will be a true Norwich City legend. Thanks for the memories. Oh, and thanks for that interview on FOX sports, classic!

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]And we''ll stick them in the Evening News tomorrow...[/quote]You make it sound like he''s dead![/quote]

Yes. I don''t think we need memories yet. He will be back at the club in some form.

[quote user="row"]A true legend, the best player we have ever had, easily.[/quote]

You can''t be a very old fan, but he has been a modern day great for us.

Sat next to Darren the day he signed perminently for us... I was the smuggest lad in the ground that day!!

I remember it was around Christmas time 2003, and Huckerby''s loan was coming to an end, and we couldn''t get the money together to sign him permanently . I think Carl Moore stepped in to contribute to wages if the memory serves me correctly.

It will be sad not to see Huckerby in the Yellow and Green again, but my favourite moment had to be his goal at Carrow Road against Birmingham in 2007

No better goal scored for City in my opinion.

Legend

I rememeber when we had Huckerby and Crouch both in on loan and after a few years, people were wondering why we bought Huckerby instead of Crouch who went on to play in Champions League and play for England, but i still believe to this day that we made the right decision to bring Hucks in instead of Crouch. Hucks was a great player and great person. Hope he comes back to help us out somehow in the future.

Just about the only player in the last 5 years that will go down as NCFC legend. We wouldn''t have been promoted in 03-04 without him and I will always remember the goal he scored against Wigan near the end at that season, he was far and away the best player in that division that year. What made him special was his loyalty to the club, refusing to play for any side that could potentially play against us and turning up at games even though he wasn''t involved with the club anymore. I remember seeing him in the away end at Forest last season with his family, how many modern day players would do that!

my sons meeting him in the car park and having a photo with him, he told them to sit on the bonnet of his car!!! a truly awesome player for City, thanks Dazza for the memories!

[quote user="lynn canary"]I rememeber when we had Huckerby and Crouch both in on loan and after a few years, people were wondering why we bought Huckerby instead of Crouch who went on to play in Champions League and play for England, but i still believe to this day that we made the right decision to bring Hucks in instead of Crouch. Hucks was a great player and great person. Hope he comes back to help us out somehow in the future.[/quote]Two quite different players - it is pointless comparing. Fact is that Huckerby was just out of reach whilst Crouch was way beyond it. Worthington would have signed them both like a shot had funds been no object. Crouch''s skill with his feet and brain was often overlooked. Who is to say that one or the other (assuming we could have signed either of them but not both) would have had a bigger impact in that promotion year? I''m just glad we had them when and for as long as we did. I agree with Canary Dan, watching that Birmingham goal from the River End from start to finish was a sensation. Saddest moment was when I realised Roeder would not allow Hucks a proper farewell.

There are many great memories of this city legend. What we thought would be his last goal at Carrow Road only to be proven wrong on Boxing Day in themselves two great memories. However the one memory that sticks in my mind is how we were robbed of the legend by Glen Roeder, the most despised manager in the history of Norwich City history!

Simply put, during his curtailed Norwich days he was unbeatable, a legend, a gent and hopefully a great youth coach.

Only got to see bits of his former self but it was very enjoyable.  Sad to see him end his career through injury.  We will miss his professionalism and class in San Jose.  Good luck to him in his future coaching role.

My favourite Norwich Player ever [:)]

Not been many players for us who have been as good as him, or stayed here for that long. While ive been alive anyway [:P] Loyal to Norwich!

Cant blame him for going to SJ Earthquakes really, good money and a great lifestyle!

I think we would be still in Championship had we kept hold of him.

Favourite memories:

Scored a cracker away to Wimbledon when we won 1-0 [:D]

My memories of Hucks are the fantastic goals he scored.  There were many but those that I recall are the one v Birmingham, running almost the length of the pitch to score; coming on as a sub at Portman Road and scoring the winner; a tremendous volley from a cross field ball from Paul McVeigh v MK Dons at the hockey stadium and the one against Arsenal at Highbury in the Premiership.  Will we see the like again?  [:(]

Hucks loved to fly down the wing

In my eyes he''ll always be king

Now what will he do

With his time we don''t know

Perhaps X-Factor will allow him to sing

You''re an Legend Darren. I''m gutted that i''ll never see you in a Yellow shirt again.

He was kicked out by Roeder the biggest reason why I hate that man. He denied me a final few seasons with a true legend.

Huckerby was my first real hero. The season we got promoted I don''t think even John Terry would have stopped him.

The only good thing to come out of this is that hopefully he can come back to us as a coach. 

I remember him sprinting down the wing leaving two defenders in his wake, and then instead of taking a dive, opted for ballooning a shot over the bar.... happy days.

[quote user="paul ncfc"]For me the greatest memory is the one man show against Cardiff, the final game of his loan.. awesome.
[/quote]

100% agree with this, the famous quote "that one man doesn''t make a team" was well and truly proven wrong that day. Probably the most influencial single performance I have ever seen by one player.

Wish him all the best for the future - seems a genuinely nice guy.

By the way I would have signed Crouch instead at the time.