Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

A one-off result

That''s what ex-Everton player Derek Mountfield said on Talksport last evening in regard to Everton''s 6-1 home drubbing on the first day of the season and then moved seamlessy on to discuss the match against AEK Athens about to be played.

That''s what our home drubbing was against Colchester also on the first day of the season. A one-off result. Difference was that the heavens fell in on Gunn whilst Moyes was left to get on with his job. Gunn''s team bounced back days later and hammered Yeovil 4-0 but the die was cast and Gunn was still fired - someone really must have been determined to get rid of him. Consequently, 5 precious points were then thrown away (Exeter and Brentford) in the chaos and turmoil following Gunn''s precipitous sacking and in comes the new Manager appointed by the new MD.

One bad result. Gunn inherited a pile of crap and a poisonous atmosphere from Roeder with little time left and no money in the January window, unsurprisingly unable to avoid the drop (with the crap he inherited) but nevertheless gets slated for it, gets rid of players (including  Fotheringham etc Lupoli didn''t want to stay anyway), brings in players, rehabs players, gives youth a chance, has best pre-season of any Norwich manager in years, has one off freak result against Colchester followed by 4-0 bounce-back against Yeovil but still gets sacked by the new MD. I want Lambert to succeed because I am a Norwich supporter but I have to be honest and admit that I am so angry and disgusted by the Club''s (and many fans'') behaviour in regard to Gunn that part of me wouldn''t be "gutted" if Lambert fails (i.e. lower mid-table or below).

I understand fully that this post is "off message" with most of the posters on here and of course I couldn''t give a ____.

A one-off result apart from the other nineteen last season...Bryan Gunn manager: Played 21; won 6; drawn 5; lost 10; win percentage 28.57.He was clueless, but you club sycophants are never going to admit it.

He bought a load of loan singings in and they were all crap (Mooney and Gow aside) and we were not in the relegation places when he joined us, so in my opinion our relegation was as much his fault as it was Roeder''s (if not more so, 4 wins from 19 games?)

I agree with part of your post but im afraid Gunn should never have been put in charge at the end of last season, I agree he did inherit a club full of unmotivated unbothered loanees but he had the chance to turn that around and didnt and im afraid experience was needed at that point and he didnt have it. I agree the timing of the sacking was all wrong but Smith and Jones put the club in that situation by appointing a manager before having a full board of directors to make a well informed and football related decision not a decision that was cheap and emotionally driven! Long live the ruthless Norwich city with a bit of bite!!

Follow Follow Follow .........

David Moyes and Bryan Gunn do have very similar track records too.....oh wait.... the only thing they have in common is they''re Scottish. 

And obviously Arsenal and Colchester are of a very similar standard....

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He bought a load of loan singings in and they were all crap (Mooney and Gow aside) and we were not in the relegation places when he joined us, so in my opinion our relegation was as much his fault as it was Roeder''s (if not more so, 4 wins from 19 games?)[/quote]

After a slow start Gow very good until Gunn decided to play him on the left wing which worked for part of the game against Birmingham. More left wing appearances after and Gow got worse and worse. I know that Gow was very unimpressed with Gunn.

[quote user="Big Dog "]Gunn is THE WORST ''manager'' Norwich has ever had. I include Jim Duffy in that.[/quote]

I''m sure he''s a lovely bloke, and he will always be a club legend.  But he''s not a manager by any stretch of the imagination.  Incapable of motivating players.  Incapable of making decisions at key points in matches.  How else do you explain 4-0 after 20 minutes, 7-1 after 90 ?He had a chance to do the job most of us would love to do - but he was sadly doing more harm than good.  If we were low-mid table by Xmas, it may have been too late to turn it around.  McNally has been involved in other clubs, he knows what is required of a manager, and could see that Gunn wasn''t providing it.  Of course, he might have been able to help Gunn along the way, but gunn wasn''t his man, which is why the CEO should have been brought in before the managers'' appointment was made.

Hello Bob,

I really don’t know where to start with that post.

Moyes is a proven manager who in time will manage one of the big four clubs. He had success with Preston before Everton and has managed for over ten years.

You lost all credibility with me (and I suspect many others) after your opening gambit referred to Moyes being “left to get on with his job” after the 6-1 loss to Arsenal and the comparison to Gunn’s departure after our 7-1 reverse at home to Colchester.

Apart from the "similar" scoreline, this is possibly the worst comparison!!

Moyes= seasoned manager, built a quality side, been backed by the board in worse circumstances

Gunn= None of the above

Everton= Been viewed as one the countries top 10 sides for a few seasons in the Prem

Norwich= Falling down the ladder since our trip to Fulham.

Arsenal= One of the best teams in the world, play some of the best footbal in the world, One of the best managers in the world

Colchester= mid-table League 1 side, on the up, but not setting the world alight. Ambitious hungry manager looking to earn his stripes, but not got any...yet!![:D]

yeah... that is exactly the same!!![:#]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

A one-off result.

That''s what ex-Everton player Derek Mountfield said on Talksport last evening in regard to Everton''s 6-1 home drubbing on the first day of the season and then moved seamlessy on to discuss the match against AEK Athens about to be played.

[/quote]A knob jockey.That''s what Pink Un forum member Mister Chops said about Bob Franklin in response to another one of his prattling, semi-insane and futile "Gunny was hard done by" posts.Remove your head from your anal orifice for long enough to look at how unfit the players are, at how poor his signings have been, at the mess he made of things last season and at the start of this season, and then kindly return your head to its rightful resting place and never bother me again.

Ours was only a one-off result because we had the sense to sack Gunn straight away and get a proper manager in.

[quote user="paul moy"]Ours was only a one-off result because we had the sense to sack Gunn straight away and get a proper manager in.[/quote]

LOL brilliant comment.

[quote user="Lambo"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Ours was only a one-off result because we had the sense to sack Gunn straight away and get a proper manager in.[/quote]

LOL brilliant comment.

[/quote]Haha, indeed, well put Paul.[Y]

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He bought a load of loan singings in and they were all crap (Mooney and Gow aside) and we were not in the relegation places when he joined us, so in my opinion our relegation was as much his fault as it was Roeder''s (if not more so, 4 wins from 19 games?)[/quote]

After a slow start Gow very good until Gunn decided to play him on the left wing which worked for part of the game against Birmingham. More left wing appearances after and Gow got worse and worse. I know that Gow was very unimpressed with Gunn.

[/quote]

Mooney and Gow looked good together up front. There was good movement and they caused defenders problems. We won two successive games then Gunn brought in Lee and as you say moved Gow out wide. Lee was a good aquisition for the remainder of the season and could still have played a part. But to me it seemed destructive to break up something that was obviously working to accomodate him in the starting line up. I am beginning to wonder if this was a bit of the old pals act[:O]

Hooray and spot on paul.