Sign in to follow this  
Panic

What's up with The classical music at half time?

... Ah, i missed the first half because of an essay....I''d probably know as well [:(]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Aria from an opera called "La Wally" (!). It forms a major part of the film Diva which was a student hit when I was one of the work-shy dossers. Cracking film (at least I thought so then).
[/quote]

Ebben? Ne andro lontana.

Composer: Alfredo Catalani, set in the Tyrolean Alps, hit of the work, set in Act II as "La Wally" says farewell to her home.

Slightly bugared as an opera as her suicidal farewell is to throw herself into an avalanche which is a tad difficult to stage.....[+o(]

First performed 1892.  Always knew those two music degrees would come in useful on a football message board.[:D]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Useful in your professional career too Cam?
[/quote]

Apologies for missing your post.

I would say around half a dozen times in 50 years - a couple of times for breaking the ice.

But proud Webmaster of the most popular Rimsky-Korsakov group in Russia which until a couple of years ago included his great grand daughter.  And a fourth generation has just joined.[:D]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Useful in your professional career too Cam?[/quote]

I would say around half a dozen times in 50 years - a couple of times for breaking the ice.

But proud Webmaster of the most popular Rimsky-Korsakov group in Russia which until a couple of years ago included his great grand daughter.  And a fourth generation has just joined.[:D]

[/quote]Do you rate Ripser-Corsetsoff that much then Cam? I''ve always thought he was League 1 at best. I can only really think of Scheherzade & Cappricio Espagnol as being OK(ish).I''m always open to suggestions though: can you recommend anything? (No opera perlease!)

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Useful in your professional career too Cam?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you rate Ripser-Corsetsoff that much then Cam? I''ve always thought he was League 1 at best. I can only really think of Scheherzade & Cappricio Espagnol as being OK(ish).
I''m always open to suggestions though: can you recommend anything? (No opera perlease!)

[/quote]

His orchestration is matched only by Berlioz.  Any music student anywhere in the world in 2009 will have those two books on their essential reading list.

The Wesley Hoolahan of music, flair, the unexpected, too long on the ball sometimes.

Scheherazade the most performed symphonic piece of all time, terribly difficult to play technically (yes, it sounds straightforward).

You miss a great deal by excluding the operas. [:P]

Snow Maiden his greatest score, then Kitezh.  Symphonic Suites from both you might think worth a listen.  (No Fat Ladies).

Thanks Cam, I''ll try those bits.Can''t say I''m encouraged by comparisons to Berlioz though! No matter how wonderful his orchestration (I''ve heard this before), his music is definitely Ryman League.I just cannot stand opera. I''ve tried, I really have. I''m dying to like Peter Grimes (the interludes are sublime), but all that vibrato does my ''ead in. Still, like football, it''s all a matter of opinion.

Re Britten: try Albert Herring (genuinely funny and it''s Suffolk as well[;)]

Educated at Gresham''s in Norfolk of course.[+o(][:|]

There are other Lowestoft people who post on here, I believe.