Sign in to follow this  
Daphne

Has anyone else heard this?

[quote user="cityangel"]

Thats a real shame and a big loss to the EDP are we allowed to ask why the column is being discontinued, I for one will miss it.

[/quote]

You could equally ask about dear old Mo Huggins, a real old Norfok gal, whose vintage accent delighted me (at least) when I rang her up from Fleet Street and we had some fun conversations and I then sent her off at 9 pm at night to Blakeney (Guaranteed £400 used or not used)

Sacked after 54 years (just £1000 a month on average) with a letter from the new Contents Editor (from the end of this month) with the awesome line: "All good things must come to an end."

Indeedy they must.  Great court reporter, copy often arse about face but that''s no prob.  It was all there and you just rejigged in your way.

Not likely to be reported by Archant any time soon is it Pete?  Bit like the  turkeys from Hungary?

Bootiful. [:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="cityangel"]

Thats a real shame and a big loss to the EDP are we allowed to ask why the column is being discontinued, I for one will miss it.

[/quote]

You could equally ask about dear old Mo Huggins, a real old Norfok gal, whose vintage accent delighted me (at least) when I rang her up from Fleet Street and we had some fun conversations and I then sent her off at 9 pm at night to Blakeney (Guaranteed £400 used or not used)

Sacked after 54 years (just £1000 a month on average) with a letter from the new Contents Editor (from the end of this month) with the awesome line: "All good things must come to an end."

Indeedy they must.  Great court reporter, copy often arse about face but that''s no prob.  It was all there and you just rejigged in your way.

Not likely to be reported by Archant any time soon is it Pete?  Bit like the  turkeys from Hungary?

[/quote]

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/news/090911mo.shtml

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="NMTD"]

Of course its nothing to do with removing anti Delia comment from the eyes of the wider Norfolk EDP buying community is it?

How many of those people visit the Pinkun Site? Not many I reckon.

Are we still going to be told that Archant representation on board at NCFC has had no influence here?

My view - same as Victor Meldrew "I don''t believe it!"

[/quote]

Yes they are starting to draw the barricades up.

[/quote]

Did dear ol'' Mo Huggins fill her court reports with anti Delia comment too????

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="NMTD"]

Of course its nothing to do with removing anti Delia comment from the eyes of the wider Norfolk EDP buying community is it?

How many of those people visit the Pinkun Site? Not many I reckon.

Are we still going to be told that Archant representation on board at NCFC has had no influence here?

My view - same as Victor Meldrew "I don''t believe it!"

[/quote]

Yes they are starting to draw the barricades up.

[/quote]

Did dear ol'' Mo Huggins fill her court reports with anti Delia comment too????

[/quote]

Dunno.  All involved in covering stories in East Anglia know about Mo.  She''s a sort of journalistic Huckerby - she was always upfront and you could always rely on her but sometimes she didn''t track back[+o(] but generally we forgot those bits for what she did up front.  Didn''t matter how late you rang her - she would go anywhere for you when she was Chamberlains before her Norfolk Courts Agency (One Gal Operated).

And always that lovely accent.  We had some magic moments.[:P]

Love her to pieces.  No, not a great writer but neither is the plonker who is now her "Content Editor"

Better version http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=44285

Her content editor is to journalism what some think Doc is to football and/or Peterborough United Reserves.I have not seen The Doc out on the road but I can certainly say about the content editor and would were this not a family newsgroup.

Surely the issue here is that for a columnist (who, as someone quite rightly alluded to above, should be controversial) he wasn''t controversial at all - much like Richard Balls who went before him.Both effectively played to the perceived crowd - or at least the more vocal of the (particularly) online support. And that''s very easy to do. Dare to disagree or even throw a few facts in the direction of Fan''s Eye on here and you''d receive a stern rebuke via PM. Tut tut!However, it does seem odd that although he could cause an online avalanche of "great column mate" type responses on here there were rarely any letters in the EDP relating to his articles. A quick ask around of fans I know who get the EDP regularly this morning has resulted in quizzical responses when I mooted the question "so, will you miss Adam Aiken''s Fan''s Eye?" A couple of people even had the temerity to say "who?"

[quote user="LQ"]Surely the issue here is that for a columnist (who, as someone quite rightly alluded to above, should be controversial) he wasn''t controversial at all - much like Richard Balls who went before him.

Both effectively played to the perceived crowd - or at least the more vocal of the (particularly) online support. And that''s very easy to do. Dare to disagree or even throw a few facts in the direction of Fan''s Eye on here and you''d receive a stern rebuke via PM. Tut tut!

However, it does seem odd that although he could cause an online avalanche of "great column mate" type responses on here there were rarely any letters in the EDP relating to his articles. A quick ask around of fans I know who get the EDP regularly this morning has resulted in quizzical responses when I mooted the question "so, will you miss Adam Aiken''s Fan''s Eye?" A couple of people even had the temerity to say "who?"

[/quote]

Welcome back LQ considering your thoughts about this site am surprised you are slumming again[:D]

To quote

"I''ve completely given up on the Pink Un.

At first the abuse and what verged on cyber-bullying was annoying but manageable. Then it just got stupid so I haven''t even looked at it for a week or so.

Can''t say I miss it!"

In answer to your statement with a few facts you may have missed.

That column receives more hits than any other sports column printed in the EDP

Does not seem as if the majority don''t know of or read his articles does it.

Also surprised that as he is the business correspondent(editor) that your business friends have never heard of him

It is a shame that it seems that the articles that represent fans views, written by fans, seem to be the ones that are being ceased.

Just hope Chris Lakey can keep his powder dry!

[quote user="LQ"]Surely the issue here is that for a columnist (who, as someone quite rightly alluded to above, should be controversial) he wasn''t controversial at all - much like Richard Balls who went before him.

Both effectively played to the perceived crowd - or at least the more vocal of the (particularly) online support. And that''s very easy to do. Dare to disagree or even throw a few facts in the direction of Fan''s Eye on here and you''d receive a stern rebuke via PM. Tut tut!

However, it does seem odd that although he could cause an online avalanche of "great column mate" type responses on here there were rarely any letters in the EDP relating to his articles. A quick ask around of fans I know who get the EDP regularly this morning has resulted in quizzical responses when I mooted the question "so, will you miss Adam Aiken''s Fan''s Eye?" A couple of people even had the temerity to say "who?"

[/quote]

Strange to see you back on here Lisa after you posted this on kickoff just recently.

[quote] I'' ve completely given up on the Pink Un.

At first the abuse and what verged on cyber-bullying was annoying but manageable. Then it just got stupid so I haven''t even looked at it for a week or so.

Can''t say I miss it![/quote]

Guess you won''t be able to resist coming back to have a swipe at anything Adam or NCISA related will you?

Sorry Butler you posted whilst I was getting my thoughts together on word, hence great minds think alike. [:D]

[/quote]

Hi Lisa,

I''ll say at the outset that this is going to my only contribution to this thread. I didn''t want to get involved at all, but I want to make a couple of comments about your post.

First, I can well handle criticism, and I''m well aware that the likes of you and Purple Canary don''t much care for what I write. Camuldon seems to think I''m a bit of a plonker, too. That''s fine - as I''ve said many times before, if I can''t handle people having a pop at me, I shouln''t write a column in the first place. No one forced me to take on the Fan''s Eye column, after all.

I don''t know how many letters are received at the EDP about the column. But what I do know is that becuase my e-mail address is printed alonsgide the column every week - something I asked to be included when I started writing the column in 2006 - I get a lot of feedback via e-mail. A lot of it is supportive (I guess that is down to the "perceived crowd" I play to) but a lot of it is critical. Some of it comes from people such as you, and some of it from Ipswich fans who just like to have a pop for the sake of it.

As most of those people (including you) know, I reply to pretty much everyone who gets in touch. What I don''t do is forward all the nice ones to the Letters Editor for publication.

But the main thing that I need to put straight here is your claim that if you dare criticise me, you get a stern rebuke via PM. There are probably two dozen people on these boards who I have sent PMs to over the years following critical comments they have made about my column on these message boards. Most of them seem to appreciate the fact that I reply to them - and, in turn, I appreciate the fact that they then often take the time to reply to my response. The private chats we have are almost always cordial.

The whole point of sending a PM, I always thought, was to keep that conversation private - not for any ulterior purpose but just because sometimes it seems to be the right thing to do.

A few months ago, you posted sopmething on here that I thought was factually wrong. Rather than rant and rave about it in public, I sent you a PM. You sent me a couple of replies - I still thought you were missing the point, but I was under the impression that our exchanges were sent in good faith and I hadn''t realised that the conversation had finished on anything other than good terms. So it is a little surprising now to see that you have publicly turned what I had thought was a cordial, private exchange of messages into "a stern rebuke" - as if I''d ever DARE offer a rebuke to you.

Perhaps I should have been more aware that anyone who tries to engage you in a proper debate runs the risk of being accused of attacking you. Still, you''ve only got to put up with another eight days of me.

Adam

Thanks Butler and City Angel for proving my point.Adam, good luck in whatever comes next. I assume you''ll still be carrying on in the business section which I always enjoy reading.

Steady on guys and girls or you will be accused of "cyber bullying " as posted by LQ on the Kickitoff site.

As for you Butler, financial moguls will surely not bother with the deputy business editor of the EDP.It must be the FT at the morning breakfast table whilst the current world credit crunch is being swerved by some.

Now City Angel and as for you comments i have just provided the bullets for the anti Tilson and NCISA gun to be fired so hey ho i think we know what is coming next as sure as night follows day.

[quote user="LQ"]Thanks Butler and City Angel for proving my point.

Adam, good luck in whatever comes next. I assume you''ll still be carrying on in the business section which I always enjoy reading.

[/quote]

Please LQ what point was that.

You made an incorrect statement that I was happy to correct for you.

The whole idea of any message board is to swap views and debate topics.

If yours is the only "correct" one  and no argument or discussion is allowed then as before I apologise.

Please don''t stop posting as all views are and should be welcome.

Archant are on their way to being the clubs mouth piece, which is why Mr Phillips should resign from Archant or the board.

Clear conflict of interest.  

OH! LQ. You had to use an unrepresentative small sampling (People you know) to try and support your views about Fan''s Eye.

You are entitled to your views but please do not suggest in such a manner that they are representative of fans.

[quote user="LQ"]Thanks Butler and City Angel for proving my point.

Adam, good luck in whatever comes next. I assume you''ll still be carrying on in the business section which I always enjoy reading.

[/quote]

Proving what point Lisa, I thought my post was polite?

[quote user="LQ"]Surely the issue here is that for a columnist (who, as someone quite rightly alluded to above, should be controversial) he wasn''t controversial at all - much like Richard Balls who went before him.[/quote]No, I think the issue here is that unlike Mr. Aiken, you can''t actually engage in discussion or debate - even when, as in this case, you''ve been shown to be wrong once again.  Discussion boards really aren''t for you, I''d stick to your blog where you won''t be challenged or upset by anyone who dares to have a different opinion to you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="LQ"]Surely the issue here is that for a columnist (who, as someone quite rightly alluded to above, should be controversial) he wasn''t controversial at all - much like Richard Balls who went before him.
[/quote]

No, I think the issue here is that unlike Mr. Aiken, you can''t actually engage in discussion or debate - even when, as in this case, you''ve been shown to be wrong once again.  Discussion boards really aren''t for you, I''d stick to your blog where you won''t be challenged or upset by anyone who dares to have a different opinion to you.

[/quote]

You cyber bully Mister Chops

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Or an Arsenal V Newcastle match because there seems to be a love/hate relationship there too[:@][W][U]

[/quote]

Shove it up your hoop - bog brush bingo boy.....

Then see if you can wash the cuprinol stains out the ar$e of your fence-sitting shorts.....

HA''WAY THE TOON!

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I think LQ and CA should get it on or at least fight, always having little digs at each other...[/quote]

Not really, just don''t understand why she moans about this site on other sites but then comes back to have a dig at people.

I''ve never met her so it''s nothing personal and its nothing I wouldn''t say to her face to face.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Seeing as she was working for several media companies besides Archant I would presume that she was earning a decent (for Norfolk) wage? Also she refused to use a computer, saying that it was the death of journalism or some such tripe? FFS, she had a career of 54 years.... 54 years!

[/quote]

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I think LQ and CA should get it on or at least fight, always having little digs at each other...[/quote]

Not really, just don''t understand why she moans about this site on other sites but then comes back to have a dig at people.

I''ve never met her so it''s nothing personal and its nothing I wouldn''t say to her face to face.

[/quote]

There are plenty of people moaning about this site on kickitoff and not just LQ.  Are you top of the "We ought to be halfway up the Premier League anyway" convention?

No you are not. TWTD has heavier traffic than you and has had for years.

In terms of moaning and whingeing you are in the second automatic place.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I don''t really care what you think Camuldonum, hopefully some of the Norwich fans on here will think I''ve made some kind of contribution on here the past 5 years and thats good enough for me.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]TWTD has heavier traffic than you and has had for years.

[/quote]

Alexa rates TWTD at 122,121 and pinkun at 82,931

[img]http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=t&b=ffffff&r=2y&u=twtd.co.uk&&u=pinkun.com&[/img]

[img]http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?&w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=t&b=ffffff&r=2y&u=pinkun.com&&u=http://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk&u=canaries.co.uk&[/img]

[quote user="Buckethead"][img]http://daphnecaruanagalizia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/violet-elizabeth-bott.jpg[/img][/quote]

Buckethead, why did you cut the picture of Lisa off at the ankles? I sure wanted to see those 10 inch heels. I suppose it doesn''t matter because I counted she is at least 28 bricks tall without them. I calculate that at approximately seven feet.