Sign in to follow this  
Daphne

Has anyone else heard this?

Have just heard a rumour which - if true - is both infuriating and sad.

I understand that my favourite EDP column "Fan''s Eye" is about to vanish.

Saturday mornings just won''t be the same.

Has anyone else picked up on this - please tell me I''m wrong!

Surely even Archant wouldnt be that stupid. I know some people who buy the EDP just to read that column.

[quote user="Peter"]Surely even Archant wouldnt be that stupid. I know some people who buy the EDP just to read that column.[/quote]

Believe me......they would![;)]

Have spoken to Adam and his column finishes in the EDP next week. I''ve asked him if he would like to continue his column on the PinkUn website to which he has said yes, so watch this space...

Thanks Pete!

However...............much as I love the PU, it can''t take the place of a real newspaper at the Saturday breakfast table and the animated discussion for and against Adam''s column each week.

I''m not the only one who is annoyed at this am I? It seems marketing suicide - at a time when newspapers are finding sales difficult to axe a column which is actually popular!

Of course its nothing to do with removing anti Delia comment from the eyes of the wider Norfolk EDP buying community is it?

How many of those people visit the Pinkun Site? Not many I reckon.

Are we still going to be told that Archant representation on board at NCFC has had no influence here?

My view - same as Victor Meldrew "I don''t believe it!"

I’m very disappointed that Adam Aiken will stop writing Fans Eye in the EDP. I didn’t always agree with what he wrote, but at least he attempted to hold the club to account in some of his articles. I wonder if it was his choice about Fans Eye or not, or whether the reason is that he is leaving Archant?

It’s been a poor year or so for the NCFC opinion pieces. Richard Balls has departed the building, The Man has been neutered and sent to cyberspace and now Fans Eye is undergoing a makeover (or worse). The Caps and NCISA Columns are now no longer in print either due to the demise of the PinkUn.

Luckily we’ve still got City View, er.......

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Have spoken to Adam and his column finishes in the EDP next week. I''ve asked him if he would like to continue his column on the PinkUn website to which he has said yes, so watch this space...[/quote]

Yayyyyyyyyyy [Y]

Thanks for the info Pete

[quote user="NMTD"]

Of course its nothing to do with removing anti Delia comment from the eyes of the wider Norfolk EDP buying community is it?

How many of those people visit the Pinkun Site? Not many I reckon.

Are we still going to be told that Archant representation on board at NCFC has had no influence here?

My view - same as Victor Meldrew "I don''t believe it!"

[/quote]

Yes they are starting to draw the barricades up.

I''m also very disappointed to hear this column''s being withdrawn. Adam''s views, though not always those of his readers, make an interesting read. When I come up for games, I always read the sports pages of the EDP first - back page then Adam''s page.

And they say there''s no censorship in the modern press .... cobblers!

I find it very odd, despite the obvious thinking re the neutrality of Archant in any of this. As some have said, Adam''s column was well read and well respected amongst city fans.

Although many of us would like to think otherwise, the internet part of the Pink Un and Archant in general doesn''t seem to reach as many fans. I don''t know about any of you, but many people I know just don''t venture onto the internet, and many are younger than me, so it''s not just an age thing.

Anyway, if you are reading this, a big thank you to Adam (and Richard Balls for that matter) for your input over the years. You will be missed.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Although many of us would like to think otherwise, the internet part of the Pink Un and Archant in general doesn''t seem to reach as many fans.[/quote]

Continue to think otherwise. The PinkUn site reaches more City fans, a lot more.

In terms of going world-wide I can see where you are going Pete, but I agree with Gazza on this: from workmates, people I sit with at the ground, people who live in my village - loads of people who support City rely on their EDP for info. They may not buy it - I know people who have a sneaky read at our village post office!

Apart from the EDP on Saturday, Monday and after weekday games, the vast majority rely on R Norfolk.

Most people I know who support City don''t use this site.

---This point has been made before, but the way it works is that

newspapers deliberately (cynically?) run columns that are controversial

or run counter to their editorial policy, just so they can say how

broad-minded and open to alternative views they are. So The Guardian

will use right-wing columnists and the Daily Telegraph left-wing

columnists, and the FT anti-capitalist columnists.Unless

Archant''s chiefs are really extremely stupid (they may be incompetent

but I doubt they''re that stupid) the last thing they would do is to

scrap Aiken''s column from the paper (and the paper only, mind) just

because from time to time it has criticised the Carrow Road hierarchy.An

alternative theory would be that the column just hasn''t been that good

often enough. Take this week''s effort on the famous McNally comments,

which manages both to be dull and to miss the point.What

McNally said at the NCISA agm was a gobsmacking change from what we

have been used to from the directors in terms of style and substance.

And it was not only a savage, point by point, condemnation of Gunn, but

also of the directors who appointed and then re-appointed him. This

seems to have passed Aiken by completely.

Pete, your job seems well sweet!

Obviously you would do much more, but this part of it, checking this site sounds good.

My friends dad works with you!

[:P]

[quote user="Brendan"]

Pete, your job seems well sweet!

Obviously you would do much more, but this part of it, checking this site sounds good.

My friends dad works with you!

[:P]

[/quote]

I''ll pass on your first two lines but who is your friend''s Dad?

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. [Y]

Does it still have that board thing on the top, which scrolls news feeds across it?

And the good ol'' Xmas decorations! [:D]

Newspaper sales are in a steep decline and they are not going to recover. The result will be deeper cuts and so an even greater decline in sales. And as readership levels decline businesses won''t pay as much to advertise. And now Murdoch has realised that newspaper websites are not viable so is to introduce charges to read on-line... and then everyone will just read the BBC website for all their news. RIP newspapers.

Thats a real shame and a big loss to the EDP are we allowed to ask why the column is being discontinued, I for one will miss it.