Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Huckerby hangs up his boots

[quote user="Barclayman"]Do we really need another thread?
[/quote]

Look out is the forum police!

I''m, sorry oh great one, i didn''t spot Petes post untill after i had posted, despite looking, however the lack of an edit button ment i had to leave it alone!

He said it himself. His pride couldn''t take it, struggling against people a couple of years ago he would have skinned. Lets have him here as a coach or something and that be it. Not manager please.

The surgery sounds really severe:"I''ve got a machine being delivered that I''ve got to be on every day for

seven or so hours for the next eight weeks to help in the rehab.”All the best Darren!

Legend... no other player at Carrow Road has got me off my feet with expectation the way Hucks did when he recieved the ball.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do mate, hopefully we''ll be seeing you back at Carrow Road as a fan when your back in the country.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

Interview now up in full...

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED16%20Sep%202009%2009%3A21%3A43%3A073

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

Someone hasn''t done their research properly.  Basic factual errors not only spoil the piece but are mildly disrespectful to a legend imo.  For example, it says that Hucks was signed from Nottingham Forest (should be Manchester City) and that he signed on Boxing Day 2004 (should be 2003).

The following is interesting:

"Former boss Nigel Worthington and former vice-chairman Barry Skipper were the men whose persistence brought Huckerby to Carrow Road"

ie. not the chairman, chief executive or majority shareholders, but sloppiness over other basic details detracts from the point he is presumably trying to make.

A great player in his day and a legend at this club. His incredible runs were an absolute joy to watch and the impact he had on us in our promotion season is something I will always remember and admire him for.

Cheers, Darren.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED16%20Sep%202009%2009%3A21%3A43%3A073

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

Someone hasn''t done their research properly.  Basic factual errors not only spoil the piece but are mildly disrespectful to a legend imo.  For example, it says that Hucks was signed from Nottingham Forest (should be Manchester City) and that he signed on Boxing Day 2004 (should be 2003).

"Former boss Nigel Worthington and former vice-chairman Barry Skipper were the men whose persistence brought Huckerby to Carrow Road"

ie. not the chairman, chief executive or majority shareholders, but sloppiness over other basic details detracts from the point he is presumably trying to make.

[/quote]

Yes it was Worthy and Skipper, I thought that was well known Cherub.

As each one of them left the club fell further into the mire. But I don''t see the point you are trying to make now. Forgive me for being dim.

I think the signing of Hucks and Darren''s contribution to our club was as influential as Martin Peters was in his day. There is no higher praise than that from me.

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can''t find any reference to any of that in the interview....

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

See "Hucks will always be a Canary hero" by Peter Walsh.  It''s in the paper, maybe it''s different from the online version.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

See "Hucks will always be a Canary hero" by Peter Walsh.  It''s in the paper, maybe it''s different from the online version.

[/quote]

I see what''s happened, there''s TWO articles in the paper, Peter Walsh is the other one.

Undoubtably the greatest player to put on our shirt since the almost legendary Bayern Munich beating years !No disrepect to Iwan and the likes either.Ive never been as excited by transfer news than when i heard Huckerby, a player id loved watching play was comming to us !Legend.Total Legend !!On the up side, me thinks we will see him coaching at Norwich soon !

Sad but he''s made the decision whats right for him and he knows he''ll always be a legend down here and hold a special place in our hearts.

Didn''t ever think he''d come back to play anyway but hope he''ll come back to the club in some capacity.

I think that the announcer at Carrow Road should make special mention everytime he attends a match.

Would really confuse away supporters if across the tannoy system came:

"Tonights attendance is Nineteen Thousand, Four Hundred and Sixty Three..... Pluuuuuuss DARREN HUCKERBY!!!!!!!" - Cue Huck-er-bee chants!! :)

For me Darren Huckerby was simply one of our very best. His time with us consisted of two magic ingredients, he was a winner, he had above average class, skill and ability and he made things happen.

Most importantly of all though, he really loved the club. He wasn''t here simply for money, he was, and still remains one of us. For that reason he is, probably always will be, a modern time great (won''t use the overworked cliche legend, as he''s better than that).

How many ex players have season tickets and have refused better money to stay at clubs?

On the pitch we were treated to countless displays of brilliance, he turned games, dazzled the crowds and won a special place in all our hearts. Darren - Carrow Road is a duller place for your parting.

Off the field he was a gentleman and a true ambassador for our club, especially considering the way he was ousted by someone not fit to be mentioned in the same breath.

I shall never forget Boxing Day 2003. I literally ran full pelt down the hill to get to the ground so I didn''t miss anything. The atmosphere was electric and spirits so high. And when the man himself walked onto the pitch as a City player for the first time, through my own tears, I could see so many grown men crying. What truly amazing days, and, in the words of some adman somewhere, completely and utterly priceless!

Thanks Darren for everything. You will never be forgotten in the fine city.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

Sad news, and I wish all the best for him.

This news, however, puts his dismissal by Roeder into perspective.

[/quote]You think that with Hucks in the side throughout that season we would have still been relegated?Huckerby was the most exciting player I''ve ever seen play in a Norwich shirt. I look forward to watching him roast people when he plays for the Norwich Masters team in ten years time ;)

Very sad news. He was most exciting player that I have seen in a City shirt and a pity that he couldn''t have been here last season.

Hope he does come back to the club in some capacity. He is someone I admire not only as a player but as a person who showed unswerving loyalty to Norwich City.

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The article in the Evening News also mentioned his 3 million transfer to Forest in 2003, bloody expensive loan deal for Forest then. It really is quite pathetic. I''ve also read in recent EDP''s how Cody McDonald hasn''t scored this season, and Hoolahan hasn''t played at all under Paul Lambert. But hey...

Huckerby is an absolute legend, and would have kept us up last season. In my opinion we will probably never have a player who has both his incredible talent and loyalty again. I''d love to see him back at the club, and hope that he is given freedom of the city or some other honour.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

Audio to follow.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was in the tribute on pages 2 and 3 of yesterday''s Evening News.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

[/quote]

Does it b*ll*cks. He started very very well in the US and looked fighting fit. If he''d performed like that even for the first few months of last season, we''d have stayed up. As he says he only intended one more year anyway, so would have retired months ago anyhow.

We were SO lucky to have the opportunity to sign Huckerby, those sort of signings only happen once in a life time. No player has got me off my seat more than Huckerby. A true legend and I just wish he could pull on the yellow jersey one last time. No player is bigger than Norwich but Hucks came pretty close! We''ll miss you Darren!!

[quote user="susie b"]I shall never forget Boxing Day 2003. I literally ran full pelt down the hill to get to the ground so I didn''t miss anything. The atmosphere was electric and spirits so high. And when the man himself walked onto the pitch as a City player for the first time, through my own tears, I could see so many grown men crying. What truly amazing days, and, in the words of some adman somewhere, completely and utterly priceless! Thanks Darren for everything. You will never be forgotten in the fine city.[/quote]

Well summed up Susie

So many great memories of Hucks, the goals against Cardiff and Wigan were two of the best goals I have ever seen from any Norwich player. Two moments of stunning individual brilliance of which there were many more during his time here. I admire him more than any other NCFC player I''ve ever known because of his unwavering loyalty to our club, good luck Hucks you are a true legend.

[quote user="Fuglestad"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]

[/quote]

Does it b*ll*cks. He started very very well in the US and looked fighting fit. If he''d performed like that even for the first few months of last season, we''d have stayed up. As he says he only intended one more year anyway, so would have retired months ago anyhow.

[/quote]

In the US he had to play less games, and being quite unknown, he was certainly much less tackled. How long would he have survived in the Championship, is the big question. Would the fans have been happy to see him sidelined? Roeder had to make a decision at the end of the season, withouth being able to explain all the reasons. (If he did so he would have probably ruined Huck''s career in the US)