Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

It's official, it must be, someone from the NCISA said it : Lambert is fireproof, at least for a season anyway....

Tangible Fixed Assest post of yesterday :

TEAM first.

We were told by the Colchester fans that he would sort out the defence first and so far it seems to be the case despite what Lambert inherited from Gunn & Co. The next two league games should give us an indication of how much more work is required regarding the defence (using the inherited players).  

I met some Colchester fans outside Morrisons after the Colchester 7-1 win against us and they told me it took Lambert a season to getting them playing like they did against us. If the style of fast football, playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up then it cant come soon enough.

Finally Lambert needs time to move players out of the existing squad and bring in players of his liking into the squad."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so you heard it here first and it must be official because it''s from Tangible Fixed Assets of NCISA, I believe : If Lambert fails then it''s due to the players he inherited BUT if Lambert succeeds it''s because he''s a great manager and ergo a much better manager than Gunn. A definite win win for the Lambert luvvies and particularly those who having met Lambert are now his greatest fans. No mention of course of the absolute shambles, poisonous atmosphere, and poor quality players (many of them loanees of course) inherited by Gunn. Difference is that Lambert has the opportunity to achieve success with the squad put together by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook, they weren''t. He started with two successive wins so everything in the garden was rosy. Then the dire and dour draw with Walsall and the defeat against MK Dons and, hey presto, the inevitable murmurings of "well, of course, poor Lambert, what can he do with the crap players inherited from Gunn" - players such as Hughes, Holt, Askou etc and the rehabilitated Lappin ! 

As for the comment  "If the style of fast football, playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up then it cant come soon enough" let me draw your attention to the considered observation from Camuldonum on another recent thread :

"And in our 0-0 draw (nail biting game) (Colchester away at Southampton)  I haven''t seen us play with that "freedom" since Parkinson. Maybe Lambo wasn''t right for our club but is he right for yours?"

Who knows why a Colchester United supporter such as Cam comes on here as often as he does but you have to respect his knowledge of and opinion on the ex Colcheter United manager who is our latest saviour.

For me, Lambert needs a couple of seasons at least to sort out the mess; we have had more than enough upheaval at Carrow Road over the last few years and could do with a period of stability now. Ok, Gunny''s dismissal was poorly timed and rather clumsily handled, but he should never have been appointed as full time manager in the first place.

Bob do you belong to a company, organisation, if so do your views expressed on this site represent their views?

TFA along with many other members of NCISA post on this forum, me included.

I do not speak on here in any other capacity than my own, sometimes warped view.

Each has made it very plain that their view is their own.

So have a dig at TFA''s views, push Gunn down his and everyone elses throat if you must, but why attack NCISA and try to make it seem like an official view.

By the way yes I was impressed with Lambert and I do think he has more managerial talent tham BG has at present.

Certainly some of Gunns recruitment was good but also some very poor.

The fact that we are now not leaking goals like a cullunder and have a degree of organization in the team means more to me than who recruited those playing.

Can we just not let BG have a break now and support the team and look forward to him reappearing in some capacity more suited to his talents.

Not sure we can have BG back now, which is a shame in some ways but in some ways it isn''t

He is always a club legend and hopefully within time this will be all people will remember rather than his 20 or so matches he was in charge for.....

"I

met some Colchester fans outside Morrisons after the Colchester 7-1 win

against us and they told me it took Lambert a season to getting them

playing like they did against us. If the style of fast football,

playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up

then it cant come soon enough."

That 7-1 wasnt colechester playing well,  It was City playing badly.  thats if you can call it playing.  so if its taken him 12 moths to get them that good then really they should be doing better than they actaully are.  am i right in thinking they havent actually won since beating us???Lambert has a better team than he had at colchester. They are only just begining to play as a team under him and we hope they continue to get better and better. But we really need a right winger. desperate

So going on that logic can we now assume that everything Tilly says on here are the views of not only Tilly but also those of the  NCISA as well as the SCG, and that LQ''s posts are also the views of the SCG? What the hell my views also represent those of all members of the RAC as I''m a member of that.Apologies to Tilly and LQ for snatching their names as examples.[;)]

Gunn''s legacy is a squad of footballing journeymen, many of whom are not match fit, some of whom are not even particularly fit, and only two of whom (Hughes, Holt) look anywhere near good signings.  This obsession with Gunny has to end, Bob.  There are some good counsellors out there who will look upon you kindly, but I''m not one of them so kindly fuck off.

Gunn wanted the job, the board offered him the job, he took the job....with 19 games to save our Championship status. A couple of false-dawns and mediocre performances and we then we lost the last six games - when a couple of wins or a few draws would have kept us up....The board (consisting of Delia, Hubster and Mick Foulger - coz Roger and Donkster were probably sacrificed to quell discontent) then appointed Gunn as permanent manager! Thus sticking two fingers up at the following days NCISA arranged meeting....Because Delia and Co, said Gunn, Butters and Crook were the men for the job?.....

The support accepted that decision with little protest....So we got what we deserve....

Delia and Michael at a fan''s forum in the capital, supported Gunn and said that we should get behind him....Then a few days later a unanimous decision by the board (yeah, right) gave Gunn the boot.

Mr Mac did the honours, and I for one believe it was the right decision. Because the Major-Sharehoggers blundering and amateur running of the football club was sending us spiralling further into the mire.... 

I do hope the circle of calamity, is now behind us.....

Time to let go Bob....

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

No mention of course of the absolute shambles, poisonous atmosphere, and poor quality players (many of them loanees of course) inherited by Gunn. Difference is that Lambert has the opportunity to achieve success with the squad put together by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook, they weren''t. [/quote]

1. With reference to the players inherited by Gunn - wasn''t Gunn Head of player recruitment prior to being appointed by manager?

2. Gunn couldn''t get the players motivated for a relegation fight nor could he motivate them for the first match of this season.

3. There have been posts surfacing on this bb about the tightening up of discipline / training at Colney since Lambert arrived and Cureton said a similar thing on Sky recently.

4. While its early days under Lambert - 5 league games have produced 1.6 points per game while under Gunn wasn''t it 1 point per game?

5. Players compete under Lambert such as during the Charlton game, no longer do the heads go down when we concede.

6. Posts on this bb are my personal views (as are posts by other NCISA committee members).

Finally Bob, its time to accept that Gunn has gone.

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

No mention of course of the absolute shambles, poisonous atmosphere, and poor quality players (many of them loanees of course) inherited by Gunn. Difference is that Lambert has the opportunity to achieve success with the squad put together by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook, they weren''t.

1. With reference to the players inherited by Gunn - wasn''t Gunn Head of player recruitment prior to being appointed by manager?

2. Gunn couldn''t get the players motivated for a relegation fight nor could he motivate them for the first match of this season.

3. There have been posts surfacing on this bb about the tightening up of discipline / training at Colney since Lambert arrived and Cureton said a similar thing on Sky recently.

4. While its early days under Lambert - 5 league games have produced 1.6 points per game while under Gunn wasn''t it 1 point per game?

5. Players compete under Lambert such as during the Charlton game, no longer do the heads go down when we concede.

6. Posts on this bb are my personal views (as are posts by other NCISA committee members).

Finally Bob, its time to accept that Gunn has gone.

Dear God, do you really think these 6 points represent some sort of conclusive case against Gunn ? Unfortunately, I work in a busy office so I don''t often get the chance to come on this MB but I will spend a few minutes responding to point number one which I assume is your killer point ? Do you remember Roeder ? Do you remember his pigheaded arrogance ? Do I need to say more ? In terms of player recruitment, judge Gunn on what he did in the summer not when he was reporting to the petty dictator . Holt, Hughes, Askou, sticking with Hoolahan being the first manager that I can remember who really did give youth players their chance-  bringing back Spillane and Martin and giving them their chance, Smith, Adeyemi.

Some time for killer point nunber 2 : it''s simple, Colchester was a one-off. After the best Norwich pre-season I can remember, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The one strange thing I cannot reconcile about Gunn was his decision to bring in the Aussie goalkeeper - and play him for the opening game of the season. Given Gunn''s quality and experience as a goalkeeper I assumed that Theoklitos would turn out to be a good choice. But it seems that against Colchester, he made an early calamitous mistake, followed quickly by another, his confidence therefore shattered and so did the team''s and the rest is history. David Moyes, too, had a calamitous start with Everton. I think they ended up 5th in the Premiership last season and no one predicted a home 6-1 thrashing by Arsenal in their opening match. I saw the other night that Clough''s Derby lost 6-1 at Cardiff.

Sh__t happens but Gunn was thrown out on the basis of one match. That 4-0 victory away at Yeovil, a match I was able to attend because Yeovil is not too far from where I live, must have really p__d off the people who, with their own agenda, wanted Gunn out and of course you know which particular person i am referring to because you were proud to meet him and apparently found him a jolly good chap.

So, to finish off on killer point 2 re "ability to motivate", the rot was already deeply embedded when Gunn took the poisoned chalice. The rumour I heard was that initial overtures to other available candidates for the job were roundly rejected. So, Gunn it was who inherited a very sorry squad indeed, the majority of which seemed to be wannaway loanees. I doubt that any manager could have reversed the sharp decline that was already in place. In their minds, many of the players were already gone. Anyway, he got rid of Fotheringham, immediately brought back Cureton, had a clear-out in the summer, brought in his own choice players, gave youth their chance, and despite the opening day hammering by Colchester, managed to bounce back 4-0 away at Yeovil. The players were clearly "pumped up", understandably not many Norwich fans made the trip, and they played open attacking football the likes of which I had not seen for a long time. In truth, we could have seven goals but good thing we didn''t because the Yeovil manager would have been sacked. Fact is : Gunn succeeded in lifting the players off the ground only a few days after Colchester and motivating them to such an extent that they played scintillating football and scored 4 goals. That''s what I call the ability to motivate. Interesting footnote : Gunn played Hoolahan and Hughes in that match and they were both high quality. Not only that, but 10 of the players that featured in the 4-0 away thrashing of 11 man Yeovil also featured in the other night''s 4-0 home thrashing of 10 man Orient.

Finally, as far as Gunn''s player recruitment is concerned : Lambert has now stated that promotion is till the objective and the squad has the ability to achive that objective. The squad he is referring to is the squad Gunn assembled so he can''t have been that bad a judge of players now can he ? You see you can''t have it both ways : if the team does well you praise Lambert bit if they do badly you blame Gunn''s choice of players. That''s called having your pie and eating it. At least, Lambert has now eaten humble pie by admitting that he has a very decent squad and finally bring back Hoolahan, Russell and Doherty into the fold. There is no doubt in my mind that Lamberts points per game tally would be even higher if he hadn''t stubbornly frozen out Hoolahan.

Even more finally, yes, you''re right, Gunn has gone. I have defended him and the injustice of his sacking for long enough now. It''s a shame that so many have behaved so badly towards him and not given him any of the credit that he deserves. And it''s not Lambert''s fault that he is now benefiting from the foundations laid by Gunn but, yes, it does stick in my craw that so many posters are so quick to praise and so quick to forget. Like the established manager who didn''t want to know, Gunn should have shied away from the job because it was the veritable poisoned chalice but he gave it his best shot and was then betrayed by the very people that were so grateful to him for stepping into the breach when no one else wanted to. OK, spent more time on this than I was going to. So that,you "Lambo" luvvies will be pleased to hear, is that.

Dear God, do you really think these 6 points represent some sort of conclusive case against Gunn ? Unfortunately, I work in a busy office so I don''t often get the chance to come on this MB but I will spend a few minutes responding to point number one which I assume is your killer point ? Do you remember Roeder ? Do you remember his pigheaded arrogance ? Do I need to say more ? In terms of player recruitment, judge Gunn on what he did in the summer not when he was reporting to the petty dictator . Holt, Hughes, Askou, sticking with Hoolahan being the first manager that I can remember who really did give youth players their chance-  bringing back Spillane and Martin and giving them their chance, Smith, Adeyemi.

Some time for killer point nunber 2 : it''s simple, Colchester was a one-off. After the best Norwich pre-season I can remember, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The one strange thing I cannot reconcile about Gunn was his decision to bring in the Aussie goalkeeper - and play him for the opening game of the season. Given Gunn''s quality and experience as a goalkeeper I assumed that Theoklitos would turn out to be a good choice. But it seems that against Colchester, he made an early calamitous mistake, followed quickly by another, his confidence therefore shattered and so did the team''s and the rest is history. David Moyes, too, had a calamitous start with Everton. I think they ended up 5th in the Premiership last season and no one predicted a home 6-1 thrashing by Arsenal in their opening match. I saw the other night that Clough''s Derby lost 6-1 at Cardiff.

Sh__t happens but Gunn was thrown out on the basis of one match. That 4-0 victory away at Yeovil, a match I was able to attend because Yeovil is not too far from where I live, must have really p__d off the people who, with their own agenda, wanted Gunn out and of course you know which particular person i am referring to because you were proud to meet him and apparently found him a jolly good chap.

So, to finish off on killer point 2 re "ability to motivate", the rot was already deeply embedded when Gunn took the poisoned chalice. The rumour I heard was that initial overtures to other available candidates for the job were roundly rejected. So, Gunn it was who inherited a very sorry squad indeed, the majority of which seemed to be wannaway loanees. I doubt that any manager could have reversed the sharp decline that was already in place. In their minds, many of the players were already gone. Anyway, he got rid of Fotheringham, immediately brought back Cureton, had a clear-out in the summer, brought in his own choice players, gave youth their chance, and despite the opening day hammering by Colchester, managed to bounce back 4-0 away at Yeovil. The players were clearly "pumped up", understandably not many Norwich fans made the trip, and they played open attacking football the likes of which I had not seen for a long time. In truth, we could have seven goals but good thing we didn''t because the Yeovil manager would have been sacked. Fact is : Gunn succeeded in lifting the players off the ground only a few days after Colchester and motivating them to such an extent that they played scintillating football and scored 4 goals. That''s what I call the ability to motivate. Interesting footnote : Gunn played Hoolahan and Hughes in that match and they were both high quality. Not only that, but 10 of the players that featured in the 4-0 away thrashing of 11 man Yeovil also featured in the other night''s 4-0 home thrashing of 10 man Orient.

Finally, as far as Gunn''s player recruitment is concerned : Lambert has now stated that promotion is till the objective and the squad has the ability to achive that objective. The squad he is referring to is the squad Gunn assembled so he can''t have been that bad a judge of players now can he ? You see you can''t have it both ways : if the team does well you praise Lambert bit if they do badly you blame Gunn''s choice of players. That''s called having your pie and eating it. At least, Lambert has now eaten humble pie by admitting that he has a very decent squad and finally bring back Hoolahan, Russell and Doherty into the fold. There is no doubt in my mind that Lamberts points per game tally would be even higher if he hadn''t stubbornly frozen out Hoolahan.

Even more finally, yes, you''re right, Gunn has gone. I have defended him and the injustice of his sacking for long enough now. It''s a shame that so many have behaved so badly towards him and not given him any of the credit that he deserves. And it''s not Lambert''s fault that he is now benefiting from the foundations laid by Gunn but, yes, it does stick in my craw that so many posters are so quick to praise and so quick to forget. Like the established manager who didn''t want to know, Gunn should have shied away from the job because it was the veritable poisoned chalice but he gave it his best shot and was then betrayed by the very people that were so grateful to him for stepping into the breach when no one else wanted to. OK, spent more time on this than I was going to. So that,you "Lambo" luvvies will be pleased to hear, is that.

One for Archant to pursue should they choose to do so - Lambert was not your first choice for the job.  Adkins was first choice but he turned Norwich down, possibly because having escaped League One twice he had no immediate wish to return to it.

Sorry, meant to post this on here not the other thread : Dear God, do you really think these 6 points represent some sort of conclusive case against Gunn ? Unfortunately, I work in a busy office so I don''t often get the chance to come on this MB but I will spend a few minutes responding to point number one which I assume is your killer point ? Do you remember Roeder ? Do you remember his pigheaded arrogance ? Do I need to say more ? In terms of player recruitment, judge Gunn on what he did in the summer not when he was reporting to the petty dictator . Holt, Hughes, Askou, sticking with Hoolahan being the first manager that I can remember who really did give youth players their chance-  bringing back Spillane and Martin and giving them their chance, Smith, Adeyemi.

B******t!

Lambo and McLegend are bessie mates....that''s why he got the job. Not that I''m complaining, he''s done a great job so far.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]One for Archant to pursue should they choose to do so - Lambert was not your first choice for the job.  Adkins was first choice but he turned Norwich down, possibly because having escaped League One twice he had no immediate wish to return to it.[/quote]

[quote user="barclay_canary"]"I

met some Colchester fans outside Morrisons after the Colchester 7-1 win

against us and they told me it took Lambert a season to getting them

playing like they did against us. If the style of fast football,

playing the ball to our strikers feet is what we are going to end up

then it cant come soon enough."

That 7-1 wasnt colechester playing well,  It was City playing badly.  thats if you can call it playing.  so if its taken him 12 moths to get them that good then really they should be doing better than they actaully are.  am i right in thinking they havent actually won since beating us???
[/quote]I know you wrote this nearly 2 weeks ago but did you look at the league table?

Does all this matter? For the first time since Worthington, we seem to have a manager who knows what he is doing.

I couldn''t give stuff if Colchester, Bryan Gunn, Bob Franklin or whoever else don''t like it...for the first time in 5 years i feel we have a manager taking us in the right direction. It will take him a bit of time, but he is already making us difficult to beat but still able to give teams a good thrashing when we can.

Lets stop going on about Gunn now. There were pros and cons about having both him, Grant, and Roeder as the manager:

Grant and Gunn:

Pros - Former players so they knew how we play

Cons - No managing experience

Roeder was the opposite - He had experience, but didn''t know how we play

Personally I would rate all three of them the same, as I don''t think any of them did better. I had confidence in Roeder when he first came because of his experience. However, I soon lost it. I''m getting good confidence in Lambert, despite the fact he isn''t a former player - lets not forget Worthington led us to the play-off final and the title and had no links to us

If Lambert did turn out to be the fourth consecutive failure though, I would want the new manager to be a former Norwich player with experience, ie Steve Bruce or Mark Robins

[quote user="Camuldonum"]One for Archant to pursue should they choose to do so - Lambert was not your first choice for the job.  Adkins was first choice but he turned Norwich down, possibly because having escaped League One twice he had no immediate wish to return to it.[/quote]That would certainly explain the glowing review of him in myfootballwriter...

Clearly Bob, your office is not busy enough.......Gunn left nearly 2 months ago, get over it!!!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]lol a tad obsessive isn''t he? crazy eyes punch[/quote]

LOL!! [:D]

A well-argued piece Bob.

Well worth the read.

And now ...............let''s see if Lambert can get us up this season with the squad inherited from Team Gunn,

And, if so, the good work of both should be acknowledged plus McNally''s decisiveness.

Good luck to Paul Lambert. The Boss is dead, long live the Boss.

One love.

OTBC  

[quote user="Bob Franklin"].

Finally, as far as Gunn''s player recruitment is concerned : Lambert has now stated that promotion is till the objective and the squad has the ability to achive that objective. The squad he is referring to is the squad Gunn assembled so he can''t have been that bad a judge of players now can he ? You see you can''t have it both ways : if the team does well you praise Lambert bit if they do badly you blame Gunn''s choice of players. That''s called having your pie and eating it. .

[/quote]

Well lets look at the players that Gunn bought in during the summer  - twelve if I remember correctly :

Alnwick - returned to Spurs due to injury

------------------------

Maric - where is he?

Theo - only on the bench v Orient due to Forster''s suspension

Whaley - sent out on loan

-----------------------

Jones - recovering from injury, hasn''t played for a while

Gill - recovering from injury, hasn''t played for a while

Wiggins - recovering from injury

McVeigh -?

------------------------

Good signings (by Div 1 standards) :

Holt

Asskou

Hughes

Nelson

-------------------------

So:

1 returned to sender

3 look like they may not have a future at NCFC

4 questions marks, 3 of those due to injury

and 4 good signings by this divisions standards.

Of those 12, only 4 played (and 3 of those are in the good signings category) against Orient. Have a think about that Bob!

Lambert is getting more out of the squad than Gunn managed and thats due to being a better and experienced manager.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]One for Archant to pursue should they choose to do so - Lambert was not your first choice for the job.  Adkins was first choice but he turned Norwich down, possibly because having escaped League One twice he had no immediate wish to return to it.[/quote]That the new line, Cam? :)