Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

So what is our best back four?

Lots of talk about Doc, Askou, Nelson, Spillane, but what would people''s best Back 4 be, based on the squad we have available - and assuming we play 4 at the back?Personally, I''d go for: Spillane        Doc     Askou      Drury

Tough on Lappin but I''d rather put him at left wing.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Lots of talk about Doc, Askou, Nelson, Spillane, but what would people''s best Back 4 be, based on the squad we have available - and assuming we play 4 at the back?

Personally, I''d go for:

Spillane        Doc     Askou      Drury

[/quote]Hows about.....

Spillane      Askou     Drury     Wiggins

Ideally, I like the idea of an experienced old hand and a youngster with pace in the centre. In a perfect world I''d go for Stefanovic and Askou, but given the players in the frame Doc would probably shade it although I don''t think he''s playing at anywhere near his best at present. Spillane at right back makes us stronger defensively and he''s happy enough going forward. I''m interested to see what Wiggins can bring to the party, but I thought Drury was excellent against Wycombe.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Lots of talk about Doc, Askou, Nelson, Spillane, but what would people''s best Back 4 be, based on the squad we have available - and assuming we play 4 at the back?Personally, I''d go for: Spillane        Doc     Askou      Drury

[/quote]Not at all. Drury is the better FB. I really rate Lappin and want him in the side but as you say, in the midfield/wing. Play him at LB on a regular basis and sooner or later he''ll have a bad game and once again the knives will be out. He should be used for cover at LB. Agree your 4 but still not writing Otsemobor off yet. We do need to improve on that though.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Lots of talk about Doc, Askou, Nelson, Spillane, but what would people''s best Back 4 be, based on the squad we have available - and assuming we play 4 at the back?

Personally, I''d go for:

Spillane        Doc     Askou      Drury

[/quote]Hows about.....

[/quote]

shocking from you

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Lots of talk about Doc, Askou, Nelson, Spillane, but what would people''s best Back 4 be, based on the squad we have available - and assuming we play 4 at the back?Personally, I''d go for: Spillane        Doc     Askou      Drury

[/quote]

Our backs need confidence instilled by introducing more pace & creativity in the side.

We don''t know how Nelson might perform playing with Askou. Nelson''s "mare" was alongside Doc, who tends to unsettle player alongside him.Clearly Spillane, Askou and Drury should be three of them. What about Stevens, who played well pre-season, or Dumic, who is big (and Danish)?I have a sneaking suspicion that the two players Lambert wants to bring in will be RB and CB, but probably everyone feels the same. These would give us a more complete efensive coverage in the event of suspension/injury.

For me we need to revitalise the back 4;  which is what GUnn tried to do,  but did not bring in players better than we already have,  even for league one level which shows how hard it is.  At the moment only Drury looks the part but I do think the Cully will be able to reshape and reorganise the back 8(for that is the real challenge - defending at a team).

Of the current squad the best 4 we have is undoubtedly

Spillane Doc Askou Drury

At centre back there has been nothing in Askou, Spillane Nelson or Doc to inspire confidence this season, and we have only looked good at right back when Spillane was there.   Lappin was not as good as Drury which means we have 3 positions in todays back 4 that are fundamentally flawed.  A pairing of nelson and ots is a recipe for disaster

Good luck forster you will need it.   

This is an interesting one and we all know the defence is something that Lambert has got to sort out.

Askou is looking a pretty good bet for the left centre back slot. He''s made some slips but I think you can see enough about him that he''ll get stonger in that role. And also he looks a threat at the other end of the pitch.

To partner Askou it''s either Doherty or Nelson. Obviously Nelson has done himself a lot of good today which will probably set him up for a run of games. Unless Doherty leaves the club I think he''ll still very much be in the picture. He''s got a lot of experience (and at a higher level of football) and when he plays with confidence he''s a very good defender for us.

The fullback slots... Drury is pretty safe there at the moment. We know what he''s about, he''s a steady defender and having Lappin infront of him will help us a lot. Have to wait and see what Wiggins can do.

On the other side I''d have to stick with Semmy. Hopefully a combination of the new management getting the best out of him and just the growth of confidence in the team again will see him play more consistently at his best.

As for Spillane... I don''t think he''s strong enough or good enough to play at centreback and I don''t see him being anymore than a "do a job" player at rightback.

Dejan? Who knows...

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[/quote]Hows about.....

[/quote] Mmm how odd

I''d go with Spillane Askou Nelson Drury

But, there''s very little in it either way. Although he''s not a total write off and does have good games, Doc has just unsettled the defence one too many times. I''ll be pleased if he goes and even more pleased if we get a few quid for him.