Sign in to follow this  
Ooh Ahh Lee Power

Nelson

Thought he looked really good today. Not just scoring the goal, which was a very good finish, but his defending was really good. Him and Askou were strong, brave, committed, and calm enough to bring the ball down and play from the back. No donkeying about like the formiddable DOC!!

Well done Nelson to come back from a very poor debut. Spillane''s going to have to fight to get his place back!!

I didn''t go today but every report I''ve read said that he had a good game. But what i mpressed me about this las was his interview with Chris Goreham after the game.

He said he knows he played really badly against ColU and he''s been chomping at the bit to get back into the team so he has the chance to prove to everyone that it was a one off and that he can perform and do a good job at the back.

Sounded really sincere and an honest sort of lad.

Sounded like he had a good game and scored a good goal. Hope the lad gains some confidence from this. I just think he came as a bit of a culture shock from going from playing in front of 4000 people at Hartlepool to playing in front of 25000 for us.

[quote user="Norwichrossi"]Sounded like he had a good game and scored a good goal. Hope the lad gains some confidence from this. I just think he came as a bit of a culture shock from going from playing in front of 4000 people at Hartlepool to playing in front of 25000 for us.[/quote]

Playing alongside the Doc gave him shell shock not culture shock . . .

I will hold my hands up and said today " he should never play again after that performance against CU" but fair play he proved me wrong..lets hope we have found our solid  CB pairing [Y] OTBC

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Norwichrossi"]Sounded like he had a good game and scored a good goal. Hope the lad gains some confidence from this. I just think he came as a bit of a culture shock from going from playing in front of 4000 people at Hartlepool to playing in front of 25000 for us.[/quote]

[/quote]

I think him and Doc went wrong because both have little pace.

I always thought Nelson needs to play alongside someone like Askou and maybe Spilliane.

Both Askou and Mickey are young aswell.

[quote user="Chris Martin"]Thought he looked really good today. Not just scoring the goal, which was a very good finish, but his defending was really good. Him and Askou were strong, brave, committed, and calm enough to bring the ball down and play from the back. No donkeying about like the formiddable DOC!! Well done Nelson to come back from a very poor debut. Spillane''s going to have to fight to get his place back!![/quote]

Were you at the game, Chris?  I was really pleased for Nelson after the first game and his goal was really well taken.  His attitude to defending, however, can be summed up in one word.... HOOF!  I saw very little evidence of him calmly bringing the ball down and playing from the back.  When he did have the ball at his feet he looked for the easiest square ball to, well, anyone!  There were times when both Nelson and Askou lost their men and a couple of times Forster rushed out to mop up what could have been a dangerous situation.  We were also playing a really ordinary team.  Defensively we looked reasonably solid but when we come up against the better teams in this division we''ll have to be fully sorted at the back.  Good luck to the bloke but he looks like the nearest we have to Doc, without being ginger!

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[quote user="Chris Martin"]Thought he looked really good today. Not just scoring the goal, which was a very good finish, but his defending was really good. Him and Askou were strong, brave, committed, and calm enough to bring the ball down and play from the back. No donkeying about like the formiddable DOC!! Well done Nelson to come back from a very poor debut. Spillane''s going to have to fight to get his place back!![/quote]

Were you at the game, Chris?  I was really pleased for Nelson after the first game and his goal was really well taken.  His attitude to defending, however, can be summed up in one word.... HOOF!  I saw very little evidence of him calmly bringing the ball down and playing from the back.  When he did have the ball at his feet he looked for the easiest square ball to, well, anyone!  There were times when both Nelson and Askou lost their men and a couple of times Forster rushed out to mop up what could have been a dangerous situation.  We were also playing a really ordinary team.  Defensively we looked reasonably solid but when we come up against the better teams in this division we''ll have to be fully sorted at the back.  Good luck to the bloke but he looks like the nearest we have to Doc, without being ginger!

[/quote]Clean sheet speaks volumes....must be doing something right!!!

[quote user="Tookie140"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

Both Askou and Mickey are young aswell.

[/quote]

Mickey is 20 but Askou is 26 or 28 according to who you believe.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[/quote]Clean sheet speaks volumes....must be doing something right!!![/quote]

The opposition were poor.

[quote user="cityangel"]

I didn''t go today but every report I''ve read said that he had a good game. But what i mpressed me about this las was his interview with Chris Goreham after the game.

He said he knows he played really badly against ColU and he''s been chomping at the bit to get back into the team so he has the chance to prove to everyone that it was a one off and that he can perform and do a good job at the back.

Sounded really sincere and an honest sort of lad.

[/quote]

To be fair, I could have told you that. Glad he had a good game today.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]

They did plenty right and the goal was a cracker.  He just wasn''t exactly "cultured".  Personally I don''t have a particular problem with that.  There''s a time and a place for classy play at the back, but with our defensive record, this isn''t that time!  In fairness to the lad, we don''t know what instructions they were given before the game.  In other games when we have tried to be clever with back passes etc we have come unstuck.  Impressed that even though this was at his previous club that he didn''t leave that long ago, he still celebrated the goal.  (Having said that if I ever scored a goal like that I don''t think I could have resisted either!).  I''m pleased that our central defenders are getting in the opposition box and are scoring - makes a nice change!  We just mustn''t get carried away by a clean sheet against very mediocre opposition.  If Stefanovic is going, I''d like Lambert to use the next few days to get a strong and committed central defender in to have the same sort of impact at the back that Holt is having up front.  Then I feel we might just get somewhere this year.

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

.  If Stefanovic is going, I''d like Lambert to use the next few days to get a strong and committed central defender in to have the same sort of impact at the back that Holt is having up front.  Then I feel we might just get somewhere this year.

[/quote]

Quite agree that we need one more central defender if Doc/Stefan are leaving.

Your mostly correct apart from having the now must do on here it seems slag off, of the Doc!

We were very impressive in defence yesterday but to be honest Hartlepool offered little in attack and I thin we''dof done the same with the Doc in the team!

Nelson did ok yesterday and took the goal well. However in my opinion he is not good enough for a team challenging at the top which is what we aspire to be. barely tooka touch throughout the game and consitently hoofed it up the pitch without looking. He is a stopper and nothing else and will struggle against any real pace. I would however be happy for him to prove me wrong!

[quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]

They did plenty right and the goal was a cracker.  He just wasn''t exactly "cultured".  Personally I don''t have a particular problem with that.  There''s a time and a place for classy play at the back, but with our defensive record, this isn''t that time!  In fairness to the lad, we don''t know what instructions they were given before the game.  In other games when we have tried to be clever with back passes etc we have come unstuck.  Impressed that even though this was at his previous club that he didn''t leave that long ago, he still celebrated the goal.  (Having said that if I ever scored a goal like that I don''t think I could have resisted either!).  I''m pleased that our central defenders are getting in the opposition box and are scoring - makes a nice change!  We just mustn''t get carried away by a clean sheet against very mediocre opposition.  If Stefanovic is going, I''d like Lambert to use the next few days to get a strong and committed central defender in to have the same sort of impact at the back that Holt is having up front.  Then I feel we might just get somewhere this year.

[/quote]Dammit it why didn''t we get michael Duberry  on a free =/