Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Shaun

Hoolahans off - Reason for Gunn's sacking?

Now that Hoolahan appears to be off after being left out of the squad today - does this confirm which of the many stories regarding why Gunn was sacked when he was is true?

I can''t remember who - but I remember somebody posting a story behind Gunns sacking with the sale of Hoolahan as the real reason. Something along these lines; Gunn was allowed to go out and get in new players based on the assumption that Hoolahan, Clingan and Russell were leaving. Hoolahan was poised to join Palace but the deal broke down so Gunn began playing him in pre-season games. Hoolahan started to play very well and as a result Gunn changed his mind and no longer wanted to get rid of Hoolahan.
This through the budget out of the window and McNally and the other board members were not happy with this - meaning they fell out with Gunn.

I wasn''t too sure what to make of it, but I felt that if Hoolahan stayed as a Norwich player under Lambert - it would end this particular rumour. However, now that Hoolahan does appear to be off, maybe this particular explanation has some truth behind it?

The big flaw with this ''rumour'' is that i''m sure the Norwich board would like to see us promoted - just a funny feeling i have!!.

If they, and/or the manager felt that Hoolahan was instrumental in that then they would not be selling, they would find the money elsewhere if needed.

Basically, its a load of ol'' tosh.

I don''t want hoolahan to go, but i must admit we don''t seem to miss him when he''s not playing.

Hoolahan still has a part to play in his free role but on the left midfield he don''t look like a big threat.

Maybe a formation of 4-3-1-2

Semi    Nelson/Spilliane   Askou   Drury

McVeigh         Hughes        Lappin

Hoolahan

Cureton/McDonald/Maric     Holt/Martin

Worth a try if things are not working.      

strong rumour at the game yesterday was that deals for both Docherty and Hoolahan were trying to be concluded over the weekend. Subject to these being successful would enable Lambert to bring in 2 players already identified before Tuesdays deadline.

[quote user="Fife Canary"]strong rumour at the game yesterday was that deals for both Docherty and Hoolahan were trying to be concluded over the weekend. Subject to these being successful would enable Lambert to bring in 2 players already identified before Tuesdays deadline.[/quote]

Please tell me this is true!!!

One chap that i spoke to was adament this was true, had heard first hand from a board member and thinking about it, it does sound plausable. Certainly Docherty has finally been seen for what he is and i''d rather see Lappin on the left rather than the over elaborate Wes.

League 2 perhaps Gunn? He''s a high wage earner though so who that could afford his wages would actually take him?

With regards to Gunn''s sacking, if you aske me, he was sacked for being cr@p. Nothing more, nothing less. McNally came in and didn''t think he was up to the job. I''d like to think this was the reason anyway rather than conspiracy theories.

It''ll be interesting to see where Gunny ends up! Personally I wish him well - he never professed to be the best manager - but he belongs in the game and I hope he finds success.

During the pre season tour of Scotland all Gunn did was play golf and go out on the beer, he didn''t take a single training session, left it all to Crook, also when we were drawn against sunderland in league cup all was interested in was meeting up with his old pal bruce, being manager was all about the social life with him, McNally thought he was highly unprofessional so he sacked him.

I also spoke with McNally at the game yesterday and thanked him for getting rid of Gunn, McNally then said ''He had to go, he wasn''t a manager, and he had no choice but t get rid of him.''

During the pre season tour of Scotland all Gunn did was play golf and go out on the beer, he didn''t take a single training session, left it all to Crook, also when we were drawn against sunderland in league cup all was interested in was meeting up with his old pal bruce, being manager was all about the social life with him, McNally thought he was highly unprofessional so he sacked him. I also spoke with McNally at the game yesterday and thanked him for getting rid of Gunn, McNally then said ''He had to go, he wasn''t a manager, and he had no choice but t get rid of him.''

Did you spend much time with the team in Scotland?  I''m not a fan of Gunn as boss but would love to know how you know this???

[quote user="Tookie140"]

Hoolahan still has a part to play in his free role but on the left midfield he don''t look like a big threat.

Maybe a formation of 4-3-1-2

Semi    Nelson/Spilliane   Askou   Drury

McVeigh         Hughes        Lappin

Hoolahan

Cureton/McDonald/Maric     Holt/Martin

Worth a try if things are not working.      

[/quote]The funniest thing about this is the midfield 3 you have of McVeigh, Hughes and Lappin. 2 years ago we''d have laughed this off as ridiculous (thinking Hughes to be the other Hughes). Fact is however, New Hughes has been highly impressive so far, McVeighs''s spectacular recovery is for all to see (Sub at Linfield in N.Ireland and ignored at relegated Luton anyone?), whilst Lappin has found his comfort zone in league one... which is about the standard of St Mirren.

Re "The funniest thing about this is the midfield 3 you have of McVeigh, Hughes and Lappin. 2 years ago we''d have laughed this off as ridiculous (thinking Hughes to be the other Hughes).

And yet that same Andy Hughes seems to be a regular for Leeds this season, and I read somewhere he''s a crowd favourite. Funny how bad players, become good players after they leave. Wonder who''s next to prove us wrong.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]

Re "The funniest thing about this is the midfield 3 you have of McVeigh, Hughes and Lappin. 2 years ago we''d have laughed this off as ridiculous (thinking Hughes to be the other Hughes).

And yet that same Andy Hughes seems to be a regular for Leeds this season, and I read somewhere he''s a crowd favourite. Funny how bad players, become good players after they leave. Wonder who''s next to prove us wrong.

[/quote]They''re more than welcome to him. Perhaps they''d like the Doc and Jamie too? [:D]

Hoolahan & Doc training with the youth team last week -they couldn''t get a training 11 v 11 game - that tells me they''ll both go. Russell didn''t look happy this week and if no one wants him then he''d better pull his finger out and get back in the side (or as sub for Hughes). Gunn left simply because the Charlton debarcle was repeated against Colchester and with a completely new team common denominator was Gunn & Butterbrain.

ButterBRAIN...Another play on words ,Like McNasty and DOOMcaster, That''ll get them rolling in the aisles, In fact I think everytime anyones see''s Butterworths name again all they will think about is your little pun, I''ll have to stop writing now cos I cant see for tears in my eyes. 

MTV if you haven`t got anything constructive to say why don`t you just do one and naff off. Yes the nicknames may not be up to your intellectual standing but I think we all get the mild irony yet don`t feel the need to patronise other posters quite as much as you!!!