Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Verdict on Gunn signings?

I would have to say, slightly disappointed, that it seems to have been a mixed bag. It''s early days - before Hatlepool some players had appeared only once, and Maric and Wiggins not at all. But here goes:Excellent signings:Holt (£500k)Hughes (free)Askou (free)Very good signingsCody (small fee)McVeigh (free)So-soNelson (free)Gill (free)Tudur Jones (£250k)Whaley (free)Theoklitis (free)The "so-so" category means that they have limitations, or have not impressed yet. Overall I feel that the excellence of the top three plus the two very good means that for relatively little Gunn has assembled a reasonable squad, but no more. It could be that one or more of the so-so group makes good, and Gill or T-J, both attacking midfielders will not make much of a combination while either of them could perhaps accompany Hughes in the midfield. He seems a very good acquisition.

I think Nelson, once he settles, could do okay. I also think Tudur Jones is not as bad as everyone makes out as I think he does the unappreciated bits of football well. Not my first choice for central midfield - far from it - but a useful squad player. I think, for me, Whaley, Gill and Theokilitis have got a lot to prove.

Agree with the excellent signings, reservations about the very good as I still have some reservations about McVeigh, although he has been excellent in the last 2 games. It''s whether he can sustain this which bothers me and his lack of pace might tell in the future. McDonald will be well deployed as an impact sub for the time being.

The jury is out on Nelson. One bad game, but then so did the rest of the back 4. Super goal on Saturday but will his lack of pace in defence be a problem? Depends on who plays alongside him. Maybe a few games together alongside Askou and they will get a good understanding?

As for the rest, change so-so for garbage. Gill and Tudur-Jones bring nothing to the table at all; Whaley is cak and its easy to see why Preston fans weren''t bothered to see him go and as for Zorba...............

Seems as though Lambert doesn''t rate Maric at all so wouldn''t be surprised if we didn''t see him this season (unless he plays in the JPT). Wiggins was rated but judgement is reserved until we see him play.

I think that the best bit of business has to be Hughes. He seems to bring it all together in the middle and will be a key player this year.

Askou, Nelson, Hughes and Holt were all excellent agaisnt Hartlepool so you have to say there great signings.In particular Hughes, Holt and Askou, fantastic signings given the price we paid for them. Weve bought 3 players weve missed for ages now. A 20 goal a season striker, a creative midfielder and a quality centre back who can grab a few goals, like Malky used to.

Nelson - I don''t think one crap performance against Colechester and one good performance against Hartlepool makes him a great signing.

He was barely tested at Hartlepool. Lets wait a little.

Askou, Hughes and Holt, all pretty much had nothing but good games since they been here and can''t argue with those.

From what i have seen i still think Whaley may have a bit to offer,just depends if he can learn to work with Semi!Has anybody actually seen anything of Maric??

[quote user="ncfc90"]gill should be in the, one of the worst players to play the game category[/quote] f f sake how cn you say that after seeing him so little , as for others holt , hughes , askou all good , mc veigh looking ok and hopefully carry on as he has ,cody ,  tudor jones , nelson  look like they can do a job but need a bit of time to see exactly what they are capable of , whalley , gill , whiggins n maric wait and see and dont think theo is going to get the chance but the aussies rate him as pretty ok i am told  and may as well include lappin as a new signing as he seems to be getting another chance and is looking good too