Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

The worst 50 managerial reigns ever in English football

Every fan has memories of a manager they wish had never stepped through the door - from rubbish dealings in the transfer market to useless formations on the pitch. Some bosses have simply been unforgettable - for all the wrong reasons.Bryan Gunn, for instance, endured a shocking nine months at Norwich, seeing them relegated to League One followed by a humiliating 7-1 opening day defeat at home to Colchester United that inevitably led to his dismissal.But where does Gunn rank among the worst managerial reigns in English football?Number 48End of the Roed: Glenn Roeder was sacked by both Newcastle and NorwichAnd then there was Norwich. In his first season at Carrow Road, the former West Ham boss saved the Canaries from relegation.But in a carbon copy of his St James'' Park departure, Roeder was once again handed his P45.The crack team of experts at Sportsmail has compiled their list - and as ever please add your views on the worst ever managerial reign by posting your comments below.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1209892

For me Brian Hamilton was even worse than Roeder (who did at least manage a dozen good games at the start).  Hamilton was the wrong man, appointed on the cheap, tactically clueless and with a seeming inability to spot total pants players even when their uselessness was as plain as the nose on his pug ugly face. 

Come to think of it, he rather set the tone for a lot of what was to follow...

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

For me Brian Hamilton was even worse than Roeder (who did at least manage a dozen good games at the start).  Hamilton was the wrong man, appointed on the cheap, tactically clueless and with a seeming inability to spot total pants players even when their uselessness was as plain as the nose on his pug ugly face. 

Come to think of it, he rather set the tone for a lot of what was to follow...

[/quote]

Agree totally, despite all that''s followed, watching us under Hamiliton was my personal most depressing time as a city fan (Cottee, Walsh , Derveld etc, the loss of Bellamy), hearing him as an ''expert'' sumariser on the radio turns my stomach

Haha I wrote this article. I didn''t realise it was up on the website yet. Shame it doesn''t have my name on it though :(  I didn''t get to choose the people in the top 50... Otherwise I would have had hamilton in there for sure.

Just to add, my Glenn Roeder bit has been totally changed.  He infact has the best  record at Newcastle in recent history so i wrote about his time at Norwich, which was nothing like his time at Newcastle.

Ah well... I guess you have to be a Norwich fan to know how much worse he was at Norwich than at Newcastle.

[quote user="The Chirp"]

Just to add, my Glenn Roeder bit has been totally changed.  He infact has the best  record at Newcastle in recent history so i wrote about his time at Norwich, which was nothing like his time at Newcastle.

Ah well... I guess you have to be a Norwich fan to know how much worse he was at Norwich than at Newcastle.

[/quote]

I think Roeder gets a raw deal cosidering he was technically a sucess in his first year at both Newcastle and Norwich...........

Technically Worthington had way more mediocre seasons than good ones.........

Grant was horrific...........

Roeder gets on the list because he is an arrogant bastard rather than his achievements..........

I think we are still paying Roeders wages as he was signed till 2010......