Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

MALKY - Coventry deal is off

Thanks for that.  I hope after reading Malky''s remarks ref ongoing situation with Norwich that the whole saga does not become dirty with the player eventually leaving on bad terms.  It has cleared up one thing though and that is the malky has never asked for a transfer so it makes you wonder what this ongoing situation is with the club and whether Malky has upset anybody in any way. 

Dont know Dumble Delia because the covering story states that Malky and Doncaster refuse to state what it is stating that talks are ongoing so if Doncaster is involved it must I would have thought be contractual/financial  matters.  Also it is quite surprising that of all Worthys words on this proposed selling to Coventry that he has not actually come out and said how valued Malky has been to our cause over the years and that the selling of him is to improve his chances of regular football.  This whole sage seems very strange to me considering our lack of defensive cover if Charlton/Fleming or god forbid both of them gets injured.

[quote]What "issue" cannot be resolved with Norwich?[/quote]

This ''issue'' lark is starting to sound a tad nasty to me. I think the board must know something that Malky does not. No, I don''t trust them, but that''s me. The big man has always came across as a pretty no nonsense kind of bloke to me.

This smells more fishy to me than Lowestoft fish market does.

At a guess, and it''s only a guess, he is probably due an end of contract bonus from Norwich.

As Malky didn''t ask for a transfer, he, or his agent, probably thinks he is entitled to some or all of the bonus due.

This is GOOD NEWS!!!! Come on guys - get the "issue" sorted out and let''s get back to fighting for survival.

If that is the case then he should bloody well get it.  Its OK the club taking all the benefits from promotion but at the end of the day if it was not for the players then we would not be there in the first place and as Malky was most instrumental in getting us there surely a few quid is neither here or there to us now.  Get it sorted Norwich and dont let this escalate into a bad tasting departure for malky.

[quote]If that is the case then he should bloody well get it. Its OK the club taking all the benefits from promotion but at the end of the day if it was not for the players then we would not be there in the...[/quote]

"a few quid is neither here or there to us now"

Really?

Clearly, if this is "the issue", and it''s a big "if", both parties are trying to get the best deal.

"A few quid" could make all the difference when the transfer window re-opens.

Let''s not assume money doesn''t matter, it does and the only thing we are guaranteed at the moment is another 34 games in the Premier and two parachute payments thereafter

More from his agent.  Taken from skysports.com....

Malky MacKay''s proposed move to Coventry City from Norwich has hit a snag.

The Scottish defender had looked set to play a significant role for The Canaries this season, but instead they have now decided he can leave.

Norwich accepted an offer earlier this month from Coventry, but now problems have arisen.

MacKay''s agent Raymond Sparkes confirmed that there were issues with the move - but emphasised it was not Coventry''s doing.

"The deal is not off, but it is not in a position to go ahead," he told skysports.com.

"There is business to be sorted out with Norwich and if that is not done then Malcolm will not be going anywhere.

"We can say that it is not Coventry''s fault, anything but and we are anxious to let that be known.

"I have spoken with Coventry and let them know the situation and they are willing to wait for now."

Sparkes also confirmed that West Ham had shown interest, with rumours of other clubs looking to make a move also being reported.

"Malcolm is flattered by the interest from both Coventry and West Ham - whose interest has been made public," he added.

"It seems there is something different happening with the West Ham talks, but we do not know what.

"From Malcolm''s point of view he only found out last Friday that there was interest in him, let alone that an offer had been accepted."

Sparkes also admitted that the timing of the deal could have cost him a move back north of the border.

"As we said we did not know that Malcolm was available and we are not the type of people to go looking, we don''t do that," he said.

"But he could very well have moved back and it could have been a dream move."

MacKay and Sparkes will now continue to hold talks with Norwich, whose chief executive Neil Doncaster insists the issue is ''ongoing''.

"The situation is ongoing," said Doncaster.

"We remain in talks at this stage."

Interesting that West Ham are after him too

The worrying thing is though- What is this going to do to the dressing room spirit.  If Malky now stays he''s going to be pretty p**ed off with Worthy for trying to show him the door.  Doesn''t bode well for good team morale

Gazza,

Im not saying money does not matter of course it does but at the end of the day if the chap is entitled to this that or the other then he should be paid it.  After all like I have said where would we have been without him for the last few seasons.  One of the most influential players we have had recently of which no one can deny and if he is due anything then surely he is looking after himself and his family by making sure that he gets it.  Would,nt you.

All this discussion on financial payments may not even be the crux of the matter and we may well be barking up the wrong tree but like I said with Doncaster involved I can only presume this is the outstanding issue.

NavMan

As I said in my original post, it was just a guess on my part and my comments are speculation, based on the fact that "the issue", whatever it may actually be, is with Norwich.

Clearly, if the money is due, it should be paid. Another guess on my part, but the issue probably isn''t black or white. The contract may be silent of final bonus payments, should the player be sold without him actually asking for a transfer.

Who knows? Probably only the club and the player himself.

I wasn''t suggesting for one moment that Malky doesn''t deserve any money due to him.

I imagined it would be something like asking Norwich to make up the difference between what he''s on here and what Cov will pay him, over the remainder of his contract... so that he''s not out of pocket as it were. That would involve Doncaster, but I doubt it would pee off the rest of the squad, its probably a common issue to be resolved when a player moves down a league or whatever.

Why do so many people assume the worst, automatically take the negative view and assume ''the board'' are at fault. Does it need to be anybody''s ''fault''? There are often Ts to cross and Is to dot, and we will never know the detail of contracts or contractual matters between clubs and players.

Have only just arrived home to see the Malky news, What struck me was his statement about the transfer thing coming as "a bolt from the blue" whilst on Scotland duty. Was this the scene just as he was going out to play an international ......

"O.K. McKay keep close to their centre forward, go up for all corners and by the way just heard you been sold to Coventry ! Have a good game" (cant do it with German accent):