Sign in to follow this  
Mr. T

Calvin Zola

from crewe, rumors suggest he is supposed to sign for us over the bank holiday weekend, does anyone know anything about this?

You aren''t the first person to post this rumour, whether that means there anything in it I am not sure. I am surprised we are looking for a forward, when I feel other parts of the team need looking at first.

Don''t know anything about the guy, but had been wondering whether we were going to be making any last-minute forays in the transfer window.

Per wiki he is a 6ft 3 striker so would be a little surprising if we went for him, but perhaps Lambo thinks we need more of a presence up front?

[quote user="King Canary"]Just asked a Crewe fan if they have heard about this and will get back to you all soon.
[/quote]

what you mean? what did he say?

[quote user="Hucks is Legend"]

[quote user="King Canary"]Just asked a Crewe fan if they have heard about this and will get back to you all soon.[/quote]

[/quote]He said it was Butterworth who tonked Crook

zola only moved to Crewe pre season, doubt we''ll get him in and i don''t really think we need a new striker. It''s certainly not a priority.

Of course I have, have you seen the goals we have conceeded this year? I am no massive fan of Cureton, though Lambert seems to like him. I am convinced this squad as it is will score goals in League 1, i am not convinced it will stop enough going in at the other end. Hence I would like to see investement in the back 4 if at all possible.

[quote user="The Chirp"]zola only moved to Crewe pre season, doubt we''ll get him in and i don''t really think we need a new striker. It''s certainly not a priority.[/quote] I would of thought we need a striker asap with only Holt living up to the name of striker at the club ,Maric is obviously not very highly thought of and getting any sort of goal return from Cureton,MacDonald or Martin seems  highly unlikely .

[quote user="King Canary"]Just asked a Crewe fan if they have heard about this and will get back to you all soon.[/quote]

[/quote]He said he hasn''t heard anything but wouldn''t be overly bothered if he went, he said he is their first choice striker but would be replaceable.  Said he was injury prone but has come good since staying fit recently.

Cody has 1 goal from 2 league starts and 3 sub appearences, one of which was all of 2 mins.

Give the lad a break FFS.

We don''t need Zola, Theoklitos is actually a striker..... plus the signing of Dettori to play up front, he will bring some pace (with his Horse.....)

I wondered how long it would be before people started going on about Cody''s goalscoring record - but the simple fact is he has barely made a start for us. The most relevant thing is that he has looked the part, and I''m sure goals will come.

Exactly.. he was very unlucky not to score against Exceter and Yeovil, hitting the woodwork and having an effort cleared off the line.

The way he set up Holt against Wycombe is worth bearing in mind too.

[quote user="Lambo"]Cody has 1 goal from 2 league starts and 3 sub appearences, one of which was all of 2 mins.

Give the lad a break FFS.[/quote] Maybe thats because he is not thought good enough to start , not everybody taken from non league make the grade you know. Lambert does not see fit to start him and so far he has a 100% record so thats good enough for me.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I wondered how long it would be before people started going on about Cody''s goalscoring record - but the simple fact is he has barely made a start for us. The most relevant thing is that he has looked the part, and I''m sure goals will come.[/quote] Looking the part ? ie chasing about after the ball and not having the quality to control it when he does manage to get it ?

Where did i say he should start???

I simply meant that slating him for not scoring when considering he''s started 2 games, scored one, got an assist, hit the post and had a shot cleared off the line, is harsh on him.

Quite, Lambo - shortsighted people will only look at the goals scored stat without thinking about the general contribution. The lad missed almost the entire pre-season but has looked ok when he''s been on, and is certainly worth giving a chance.

from crewe, rumors suggest he is supposed to sign for us over the bank holiday weekend, does anyone know anything about this?

[/quote]

I saw him play a few times for Tranmere & Crewe.  He was good at holding the ball up but that was about it.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Quite, Lambo - shortsighted people will only look at the goals scored stat without thinking about the general contribution. The lad missed almost the entire pre-season but has looked ok when he''s been on, and is certainly worth giving a chance.[/quote]

The other thing about him is his speed scares defenders, Sheff Wed and Reading both resorted to simply fouling him when he played against them last season a player that can do that to defenses is handy to have around.