Sign in to follow this  
susie b

Reserves yesterday

First up, I really enjoyed the game...live footy for me is always better than watching on the box.  Anyway, apart from the first frenetic fifteen minutes I thought we pretty much controlled the game.  Shacks was very solid and calm in possession; Leon and Svenny did ok until subbed midway through the second half, but the two youngsters (Danny Crow and Robert Eagle) who came on to replace them look terrific prospects.  Both never stopped running, ran into space very well, always wanted the ball and showed very good close control and distribution.  As for Hendo...I''d like a dose of whatever he was on last night!  He was everywhere and had several attempts on goal, scoring one midway through the first half.  Definitely seemed to be giving Worthy a reminder of his presence.  Jimmy B also had a good game playing at left back.  He made several good runs down the flank and switched the play very well with some very accurate crossfield balls.  Surely not long before he gets a runout in the Prem?!

Final score:  City Reserves 1  Pompey Reserves 0  Well done guys! 

Once again, Smith impressed - yet to see him play badly. Blackburn also had a good game and special mention to our number 4 who controlled the game.

Good report susie b, almost like being there.

Nothing pleases me more than to hear we have good youngsters emerging from the youth team, performing well and eventually making their first team debuts.

I think it''s better than fielding a major signing.(Hucks excluded of course)

So ... Star Song Writer and now Ace Reporter ! What other talents are you hiding from us ?

I also went to the reserve game yesterday, i thought mckenzie was lively and looked sharp, svennson i thought was way below par, he worked reasonably hard, but he 1, only 1 ball in the air all night and failed to hold the ball up and tended to be 1 touch that resulted in the loss of the ball. I thought ollie Willis who played right back last night played well, he caught my eye most out of the players that we havnt yet seen in the 1st team, shacks was superb, but sorry i have to disagree with pete, our number 4, nicky howlett, he was awful, he looked very lumbersum and took to long with his ball distribution, id be very surprised if he made it at City, Jimmy B also had a good game, he got foward well and had a couple of good runs and crosses, Hendo was lively, still not got the confidence to take on that last defender, danny crowe also looked quality last might, took on defenders good ball control and a good shot on him. All in all it was a solid performance last night, i dont remember pompey having a shot on goal in the second half, and it was a good experience as this was the 1st reserve game ive been to, and the 1st time ive sat in the new stand which i was very impressed with.

Willis - that''s who I meant, not sure where I got number 4 from. Think he, Crow and Smith will definitely progress.

[quote]First up, I really enjoyed the game...live footy for me is always better than watching on the box. Anyway, apart from the first frenetic fifteen minutes I thought we pretty much controlled the game. ...[/quote]

susie, i enjoyed the reserve game as well, and agree re danny crow, he was good last year (when watching him in the U19 matches at colney on sat mornings) and he seems to have carried on the good work!

not too sure about svennson though, thought he was v quiet, and pompey were disappointing for me, thought they might give us more of a game than they did

I think Shack must be feature some times in the mid-season, perhaps when we play against Henry again....

Yep, a great result for building up the youngsters. Looking at Portsmouth''s lineup I get the feeling that it might have been a pretty young side of theirs too; not many first-team names in there. So was it a more level playing field than some previous reserve games...?ps lumbersum... a great new word that conjures up images of Rob Newman for me!

[quote]pleasant evening watching football with the kids... plenty of good football, cant understand why more people dont go.[/quote]

were going to some