Sign in to follow this  
The 12th Devine

Surely we don't want to win tonight

Ok, so a win will maintain a little upward momentum and avenge last month''s defeat to Brentford but progress in this paint pot competition will only make this season harder than it already is.

I''m sure we should have fallen enough now to assume some humility but as far as I''m concerned celebrating success in this competition would be a desperate indication of our regression, and would mean nothing in the history of the club. I remember, as an overly obsessed teenager, celebrating a penalty shoot out win in the Zenith Data Systems Cup against Millwall, when half of the crowd had long left for home, but at least that poor excuse for a tournament was a competition for the top two divisions.

For me tonight should be about resting our better players (Holt getting injured in pursuit of the paint pot would be ridiculous), playing fringe players and learning more about the squad, with the result a total insignificance - and a narrow defeat with a weakened side nothing to bemoan. Lambert already seems to be thinking that way with talk of Maric playing, not to mention Russell (how humbling for a man with absurd delusions that he deserves to be playing at a higher level after being part of, not an exception to, our inadequacy last term), so hopefully this is how it will pan out. Let all the kids play and give a run out to those on the edge of the side - at least those we aren''t flogging – and never mind the outcome...

Out of curiosity where is Johnstone''s paint sold anyway ? I only ever see Dulux and Crown when I am out and about.

I agree with what you''ve said about resting our best players, as they are needed for the league matches. But I wouldn''t WANT us to lose? The JPT would be a good use of increasing competition for places in the league squad, and should only use good players if we get to Wembley.

Agreed, I wish people would stop going on about how poor this competition is but they would soon go to Wembley if we got to the final... of course we don''t WANT to lose tonight... this competition is a fantastic chance to get the likes of Daley and Rudd and Co. to get some match time and increase squad competition... therefore we should look to stay in it as long as possible

The amount of people who will change there opinion of this cup if we actually got to Wembley and won it would be interesting. Sure we would rather not be playing in it but we are and it is the best chance we will have to play at Wembley in a long time!

I''m dumbfounded that some people don''t want us to do well in this competition - it''s a great chance for some exposure, potentially some TV money, a trophy, day out at Wembley and a chance for some of the fringe players to show what they can do.

I hope we win tonight and go all the way, although it seems the ''stronger'' sides rarely win this thing.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Ok, so a win will maintain a little upward momentum and avenge last month''s defeat to Brentford but progress in this paint pot competition will only make this season harder than it already is. I''m sure we should have fallen enough now to assume some humility but as far as I''m concerned celebrating success in this competition would be a desperate indication of our regression, and would mean nothing in the history of the club. I remember, as an overly obsessed teenager, celebrating a penalty shoot out win in the Zenith Data Systems Cup against Millwall, when half of the crowd had long left for home, but at least that poor excuse for a tournament was a competition for the top two divisions. For me tonight should be about resting our better players (Holt getting injured in pursuit of the paint pot would be ridiculous), playing fringe players and learning more about the squad, with the result a total insignificance - and a narrow defeat with a weakened side nothing to bemoan. Lambert already seems to be thinking that way with talk of Maric playing, not to mention Russell (how humbling for a man with absurd delusions that he deserves to be playing at a higher level after being part of, not an exception to, our inadequacy last term), so hopefully this is how it will pan out. Let all the kids play and give a run out to those on the edge of the side - at least those we aren''t flogging – and never mind the outcome...[/quote]

Oh yes and surely we don''t want Delia to leave because we could win something with out her being head mouth, any fan who say things like the o p on this should go down the 140  

Lambert is taking the game seriously - he wants to win, whoever he selects for tonight''s game. If Maric is given a start, expect Holt, etc, to be available on the bench, and if Rusty, then Hughes, etc, on the bench.Presumably, from the Pinkun rumour, Daley will not be on the bench.

It is a perfectly pleasant looking pot, without any paint in sight... which is nice. Anyway, I for one won''t be queuing up for Wembley tickets, however manic ''the fever'' becomes! As for being a prat and a plonker, those geniuses will be pleased to know that my six year old twins agree with them and reckon I''m an idiot for wanting Norwich to lose. With fans like that in my house, what chance have I got?

Personally however ''unthrilled'''' I am about this competition I would never want us to lose, ever!!!

We went to the Sunderland game, so won''t be there tonight, they were our choices, we made them.  So we will be listening to canary call and I will no doubt be on here.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]It is a perfectly pleasant looking pot, without any paint in sight... which is nice. Anyway, I for one won''t be queuing up for Wembley tickets, however manic ''the fever'' becomes! As for being a prat and a plonker, those geniuses will be pleased to know that my six year old twins agree with them and reckon I''m an idiot for wanting Norwich to lose. With fans like that in my house, what chance have I got?[/quote]I also hope we lose all our games in the third division, as I''m extremely embarrassed to be in it.

Fair retort but the league, whichever one it is, is where we need to focus, and all the more so given the club''s current predicament and the limited number of quality players at our disposal.

Can''t believe ANYONE would want us to lose, unreal some of these fans we have.. well I use the term "fan" loosely.

I don''t care what teams are in any tournemant, I want to see us win what ever we are in! It will prove we (are not THE best) but one of THE best teams in these lower leagues, and maybe help towards proving the fact, to other supporters, WE SHOULD NOT BE HERE.

It gives us a chance to play fringe players, and youngsters. Giving them valuable experience, and MASSIVE confidence should they go on a cup run vs lower teams, playing FULL STRENGTH squads.

When Norwich "fans" critisise this cup it just proves they have probably never played football, or actually know anything about the GAME it''s self, but just watch it and htink they''re some sort of high power. You Make me Cringe.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Fair retort but the league, whichever one it is, is where we need to focus, and all the more so given the club''s current predicament and the limited number of quality players at our disposal.[/quote]Agree to an extent - obviously the league takes main priority, but losing easily in a rubbish competition is probably more embarrassing that being in it!

We should be wanting as many games as possible because more games means we can keep a large squad happy and competitive. I also have a selfish reason, in that I want to see even more lower league away grounds as well as visiting Wembley stadium for the first time.    

I can honestly say I wouldn''t "$h!t-my-pants" with excitement if we reached Wembley. I''d be pleased to see us win silverware of course but I wouldn''t exactly demand a parade through the city.

Winning this cup is alot like obtaining your cycling proficiency. Its an achievement none the less, but on the grand scale its quickly over shadowed by greater accomplishments (like winning this damn league and getting the hell out of it asap).

We are playing in this competition for a reason. I''m going to Carrow Road tonight to watch us smash a team that beat us two weeks ago. If any of you don''t want a trip out to Wembley then I''m not exactly sure whats wrong with you. We''re in this division and I want us to win every game possible. So get behind the team.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

It''s a pretty looking cup

The Johnstone''s Paint Trophy

[/quote]

I can exclusively reveal that a new trophy has been commissioned for the 2009/10 competition. Who can honestly say that it''s not worth playing for now?  

[URL=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3878127324_0ef6974a2e.jpg][IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3878127324_0ef6974a2e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

"You could have just kept this thought in your head, and remind slilent."

New threads for every reply on a previous thread isn''t a dumb, attention seeking, ploy then?