Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

Strange Cup Competitions

Other than the League / Milk / Carling cup what other strange cup competitions have there been?

I remember going to Crystal Palace for the semi final of the ?? Cup. It must have been around mid 80''s. About 2,000 people turned up and around 50 from Norwich. We lost. Can anyone remember what the name of the cup was? I think the final was at Wembley.

Wasn''t there some kind of Watneys Cup back in the 70''s?

Was it the Full Members cup, was only for the top 2 divisions bit like the JPT is for the bottom 2.  Pretty sure it was got rid of when the premiership was formed.

We regularly played in the Texaco Cup in the early/mid seventies. I remember me and my brother getting soaked in the (pre-roof) River End before watching us being beat 2-1 by the scum in either the final or semi-final (whatever it was, it was a two leg affair).

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]

Other than the League / Milk / Carling cup what other strange cup competitions have there been?

[/quote]

Great line from "Why is Rod Hulll alive" by Half Man, Half Biscuit"

"...I wonder if they''ll bring back

National Service and the birch,

and I wonder, but I doubt that

they''ll ever bring back the Watney Cup"

I remember going to Crystal Palace for the semi final of the ?? Cup. It must have been around mid 80''s. About 2,000 people turned up and around 50 from Norwich. We lost. Can anyone remember what the name of the cup was? I think the final was at Wembley.

[/quote]I think that you could be thinking of the Zenith Data Systems Cup.I remember a game in that competiton against Millwall, Robert Roasrio scored with his backside. What made it funnier was that he had no idea where the ball had gone, and turned around looking for it.

There''s a whole article about this subject in the Canary Preveiw, apparently we''ve even won a few of the darn things. Most came about due to the european football ban after Heysel, but we won the Avon Insurance Combination League Cup (trips off the tongue doesn''t it?) in 2000? I think. Incredible scenes!

shouldn''t be so lazy in future....

"The Full Members Cup was an English football cup competition held from 1985 to 1992. It was also known under its sponsored names of the Simod (Italian sportwear brand) Cup from 1987 to 1989 and the Zenith Data Systems (US personal computer brand) Cup from 1989 to 1992.

The competition was created after the Hesel Stadium disaster, when English clubs were banned from European competition, as an additional competition for clubs in the top two divisions (but not the top six from 1984–85 in the 1985–86 season as these played in the Super Cup). The name came from the fact that these clubs were Full Members of the Football League, with full voting rights. Teams from the lower two divisions were Associate Members and were eligible for the Football League Trophy. However, it was cancelled after seven seasons, when the Premier League arose from the old Football League First Division and reduced the Football League to three divisions. Another competition, the Super Cup for the teams who would have qualified for Europe, was introduced at the same time and lasted only one season".

"The Watney Mann Invitation Cup (normally referred to as simply the Watney Cup) was a short-lived English football tournament held in the early 1970s. It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions. Two from each division took part, making eight participants in total. The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays; unlike most other competitions, the final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue. The competition was so named thanks to a sponsorship deal with the Watney Mann brewery, one of the very first such deals in English football. Watney Cup matches were also televised live – a rare occurrence in the ''70s. The tournament ran four times, from 1970 to 1973, before being discontinued".

I should be a librarian...

And this........

"The Texaco Cup was a football competition that involved clubs from England, Ireland and Scotland which had not qualified for European competitions. Irish clubs withdrew from the competition after 1971-72 due to political pressure and in 1973-74 and 1974-75 competed in a separate Texaco (All-Ireland) Cup. The tournament was sponsored by American petroleum giant Texaco, who owned and operated service stations in the United Kingdom and Ireland at the time. In the first two season sixteen clubs (six from England, six from Scotland and four from Ireland) entered. Attendances for many sides were comparable to those for European matches and Scottish clubs fared well against their English counterparts. However, from 1973 onwards, English sides dominated, causing all-English fixtures which spectators found unattractive and stayed away.

The cup became the Anglo-Scottish Cup from 1975 after the withdrawal of Texaco''s sponsorship.

[/quote]What a God awful night that was too...I hate Selhurst Park at the best of times but that was a grim night - City didn''t turn up at all if I remember rightly and we were utterly inept...