Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Player ratings vs Brentford

Alnwick - 7 about 2  descent saves and a few dodgy ones but didn''t have too much to do.Spillane - 6 did ok although didn''t seem to perform aswell as normalNelson - 8 Solid performance won near off every header.Askou - 7 Descent today although a few headers were abit iffyLappin - 8 Very good defensively, put a few descent crosses in.Whaley - 6 seemed slightly better today although was still pretty crapHughes - 8.5 very good attacking play and link up with Maric.Adeyemi - 7.5 did ok today although could of put a couple more shots in. Almost scored a long range epic where the keeper was in nomans land?Russell - 7 looked good against brentford today should of shot but took too much time on the ball.Martin - 8 Did well today scored a good goal and should of scored a goal towards the beginning of the game.Maric - Seemed out of position allot, won some headers but they didn''t always go to they''re intended target. Did some nice link up play with Hughes and someone else, one shot on goal is all that was a threat from him.Subs:McDonald - 5 tryed is best but tended to foul they''re players allot and should of took a shot where as he took another stride and lost the ball.Daley - 5.5 Looked fast, very fast but kept the ball for way to long and end up losing it

Alnwick - 7 - Looked strong and made a great save from the headerSpillane - 7 - Made some great tackles as usualNelson - 7 - Worked well in defenceAskou - 8 - Won everything in the airLappin - 8 - Played well all together, don''t think he gave the ball awayWhaley - 6 - Not effective enough reallyHughes - 8 - Great performance againAdeyemi

- 7 - Worked his socks off and really looks promising, shame he didn''t score from 45 yards out though!Russell - 7 - Started slowly but began to find himself again later on in the match, won tackles and passed nicely.Martin - 8 - Worked hard and was rewarded with a goal, impressed with a few of his headers and passes today, too.Maric

- 6 - Really disappointed, didn''t see anything. Saw him in the warm ups and he gave the ball away EVERY time in the passing game and took that into the match - terrible.Subs:McDonald

- 6 - Played well but wasn''t on for long enough, the fouls were not his fault at all, the referee was pathetic. Daley - 6 - Looks promising, needs to learn when to get rid of the ball, though

I''ll repost what i said before, because i still think people are being far too generous. :op

We were very poor all round, and only won the game because Brentford were atrocious.

I''d say:

Alnwick and Spillane 6

Askou, Lappin, Hughes and Martin 7.

Nelson, Russell, Adeyemi, Whaley 5

Maric 4.

Hughes or Lappin were MOTM for me, both did very well though the former disappeared slightly in the second half and the latter''s dead balls were sub-par.

Nelson needs to stop hoofing the ball every time he gets it. He looked solid enough, but clueless when it was at his feet. Russell quite clearly wasn''t match fit, which is understandable, but he didn''t put himself about much.

Maric was useless, but it is only one game.

Maric - 6 - Really disappointed, didn''t see anything. Saw him in the warm ups and he gave the ball away EVERY time in the passing game and took that into the match - terrible.

how on earth can you give a player who was terrible a 6????????

Alnwick - not a lot to do, one great save. Think he''s a bit of a flapper though.

Spillane - let his man get crosses in too easily (something that also happened at the Brentford away game)

Nelson - very good, attacked the ball well

Askou - again very good, looks sharper and strong everytime

Lappin - can''t put a foot wrong at the moment, clearly full of confidence and looking sharper than ever

Whaley - unimpressive again, not convinced his heart is in it

Hughes - classy, good football brain

Adeyemi - bit out of his depth at the moment, plenty of ability but not quite ready for it

Russell - very good performanc given how long he''s been without a game, a few err rusty moments but that was to be expected

Martin - definitely at his best when he cuts in from the left. His dribbling is pretty tight so he can twist and turn defenders as they back off.

Maric - don''t want to write him off too early but he didn''t really seem to have enough about him. Some good ideas but lacked "omph"

Daley - more of a threat than Whaley

Cody - typical performance, chased everything but didn''t quite make anything meaningful come of it.

Lappin was the best

Askou, Nelson and Hughes impressed

Maric was the worst

Everyone else was average at best.

Strange how games can be viewed so differently!   A very mediocre performance from city who remained the better team  throughout the match against a poor Brentford side.  Encouraging signs of better organisation means we look more secure at the back,  with the back 9 (in a 4-5-1? 4-3-3 formation) restricting space from the middle for Brentford and giving the back 4 and easy night. A night of few chances were a draw (always possible tbh) would have been tough on the canaries and the right team won.  Centre backs,  Brentford played to their strengths yet while solid the back line was never coordinated and at one stage in teh first half the sahpe was so wrong the bench had to shout across the pitch to get BA and Nelson in the right position - and that was from a thrown in in their half.  We desperately need central defenders and its seems people are far too easily pleased - these two do not solve the problems at the back if we want to get promoted. 

To the poster who asked if I am enjoying League 1 football the answer is no,  I have never watched so many passes hoofed aimlessly over 35+yards between two sides completely bypassing the midfield.  It was painful to watch and not something I enjoy.  If we win and get promoted fair enough,  but its not good football.

Alnwick 6 - Did everything asked of him

Spillane 6 - As the bloke said behind me,  he is not a right back.  But nor is he a centre back or a midfielder.  Does that mean he is not a footballer?  Defended well though, one reckless challenge but solid and got forward well on a quiet night.

Berthel-Askou 5  Won loads in the air but also mis judged a whole series of headers and challenges.  Far from convincing and cant see how anyone would make him MOTM.

Nelson 5 Better of the two cb and the definition of no nonsense. 2nd half towards the snake pit 5 yard start on the striker and chances another long hoof get underneath hit and a weak clearance header puts himself under pressure yet gets genuine applause from the crowd for just lunging the ball clear having created danger near our own area. Not good enough.

Lappin 7 - My MOTM,  also resorted to the hoof but was salid at left back with the best tackling on the night.  One of the few to show any class whatsoever.

Whaley 5 Worked hard but simply has no impact.

Russell 6  Worked hard and on a couple of occassions looked like he was good,  but then disappeared again.  So much in his attitude, could become a key player for us,  if he wants to.

Hughes  7  Excellent first half but faded in teh second.   Along with Martin and Lappin the only one to truly show any ability.

Adeyemi 6 Of all the times for a player tonight to not be able to hit the ball 50 yards  it would be the time she shot from teh halfway line with the keeper off his line,  summed up his night,  it was on target but was not quite enough.

Martin    7 NOt in the game enough but stuck to his allotted task well and looked the only player to score, with a header and a couple of shots in the second half.  His goal stood out in a low quality match

Maric  4 So thats why he has not featured.  Overwight, un fit,  no pace,  cant jump and  a poor touch,  how many lay offs did not find a city player despite only playing the ball 5-10 yards???  Oh dear.

Cody   5 Ran around like a headless chicken - but as ineffective tonight as maric

Daley   5 No contribution.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Strange how games can be viewed so differently!   A very mediocre performance from city who remained the better team  throughout the match against a poor Brentford side.  Encouraging signs of better organisation means we look more secure at the back,  with the back 9 (in a 4-5-1? 4-3-3 formation) restricting space from the middle for Brentford and giving the back 4 and easy night. A night of few chances were a draw (always possible tbh) would have been tough on the canaries and the right team won.  Centre backs,  Brentford played to their strengths yet while solid the back line was never coordinated and at one stage in teh first half the sahpe was so wrong the bench had to shout across the pitch to get BA and Nelson in the right position - and that was from a thrown in in their half.  We desperately need central defenders and its seems people are far too easily pleased - these two do not solve the problems at the back if we want to get promoted. 

[/quote]I agree in that I''m worried about our centre backs. I think Askou has done well thus far, but he is prone to drifting off and making silly mistakes. However, we have kept two clean sheets on the spin albeit against reasonably poor sides. I still think Nelson is a bit shocking. Yeah he heads everything that comes his way and hoofs the ball about. Yeah he scored an acrobatic volley the other day, which you will NEVER see him do again! But in my opinion he is far too slow and against any opposing striker with pace (there are a couple in League One i think!) he will be badly exposed. Put him next to a centre back with a bit more quickness about him and he should be fine. Still can''t forgive him and Doc over the Colchester debacle though. All I see when Nelson plays is a lumbering fool with a pained expression on his face getting turned by Lisbie time after time!!!

[quote user="?"

I''ll repost what i said before, because i still think people are being far too generous. :op

We were very poor all round, and only won the game because Brentford were atrocious.

I''d say:

Alnwick and Spillane 6

Askou, Lappin, Hughes and Martin 7.

Nelson, Russell, Adeyemi, Whaley 5

Maric 4.

Hughes or Lappin were MOTM for me, both did very well though the former disappeared slightly in the second half and the latter''s dead balls were sub-par.

Nelson needs to stop hoofing the ball every time he gets it. He looked solid enough, but clueless when it was at his feet. Russell quite clearly wasn''t match fit, which is understandable, but he didn''t put himself about much.

Maric was useless, but it is only one game.

quote]

Do you call yourself ? because you don''t know which planet you''re on?

Earth, thank you very much for asking, Scooby.

What in my post has irritated you so? The fact that i haven''t given out 8s left, right and centre for a drab 1-0 win over Brentford? Or the fact that i only gave Docherty mk II a 5?

Must be a case of different standards, i suppose.