Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Hurray for Lambert !

He''s giving them all a go.In comes Rusty, out trundles Maric as well. He even had the much maligned Cureton strutting his stuff on saturday - albeit worn out before the hour was up.Three wins out of three - when that last happened an old amnesiac like me struggles to recall (though I''m not too sure, I can''t actually remember if I do have amnesia). So nothing is certain. Back two might be certan perhaps (Nelly and Ask who?).... .....the rest, who knows ?Keeper, even the Theo bloke might even make it back at this rate. Fullbacks, any two from five. Midfield, we''ve a good half a dozen plus with two to come back and up front there''s fair bit of competition to partner the other certainty, Holt.Difference is that now it looks like who can step up to fit in a winning team rather than ''we''ve tried everyone else maybe this one might work'' of a couple of weeks ago.A win on Saturday and we could be in the playoffs of Div 3, couple that with the draw for the next round of the Paint pot cup on the same day and it''s all looking very promising.Heady days, indeed !

[quote user="City1st"]He''s giving them all a go.

In comes Rusty, out trundles Maric as well. He even had the much maligned Cureton strutting his stuff on saturday - albeit worn out before the hour was up.

Three wins out of three - when that last happened an old amnesiac like me struggles to recall (though I''m not too sure, I can''t actually remember if I do have amnesia). So nothing is certain.

Back two might be certan perhaps (Nelly and Ask who?).... .....the rest, who knows ?

Keeper, even the Theo bloke might even make it back at this rate. Fullbacks, any two from five. Midfield, we''ve a good half a dozen plus with two to come back and up front there''s fair bit of competition to partner the other certainty, Holt.

Difference is that now it looks like who can step up to fit in a winning team rather than ''we''ve tried everyone else maybe this one might work'' of a couple of weeks ago.

A win on Saturday and we could be in the playoffs of Div 3, couple that with the draw for the next round of the Paint pot cup on the same day and it''s all looking very promising.

Heady days, indeed !

[/quote]

And a big hooray for Bryan Gunn who brought in Holt, Askou, Nelson, Hughes and others during the close season and who, with the support of Butterworth and Crook, would have undoubtedly got us rapidly back on track after the freak Colchester result ............ as the 4 - 0 away defeat of Yeovil only days later demonstrated. Lambert (and I hope he will be successful for us) has had the luxury of experimenting with different players and line-ups, a luxury that Gunn was of course denied by the self-important Mr McNasty. I am now backing Lambert but let''s not forget the contribution of Gunn. And, no, Gunn didn''t get us relegated, it was the crap squad and toxic situation that he inherited from Roeder that did that. Gunn got rid of Roeder''s players in the close season and quickly and efficiently crafted his own squad from which Lambert is now reaping the benefits. Good for Lambert but good for Gunn too.

Nonsense.Lambert has already demonstrated why he and Culverhouse are here.  They are ruthless and motivational.  Gunn etc were a chamles, and it showed on the pitch aand off it.  But dont let reality get in the way of your hero worship.[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="City1st"]He''s giving them all a go.In comes Rusty, out trundles Maric as well. He even had the much maligned Cureton strutting his stuff on saturday - albeit worn out before the hour was up.Three wins out of three - when that last happened an old amnesiac like me struggles to recall (though I''m not too sure, I can''t actually remember if I do have amnesia). So nothing is certain. Back two might be certan perhaps (Nelly and Ask who?).... .....the rest, who knows ?Keeper, even the Theo bloke might even make it back at this rate. Fullbacks, any two from five. Midfield, we''ve a good half a dozen plus with two to come back and up front there''s fair bit of competition to partner the other certainty, Holt.Difference is that now it looks like who can step up to fit in a winning team rather than ''we''ve tried everyone else maybe this one might work'' of a couple of weeks ago.A win on Saturday and we could be in the playoffs of Div 3, couple that with the draw for the next round of the Paint pot cup on the same day and it''s all looking very promising.Heady days, indeed !

[/quote]

And a big hooray for Bryan Gunn who brought in Holt, Askou, Nelson, Hughes and others during the close season and who, with the support of Butterworth and Crook, would have undoubtedly got us rapidly back on track after the freak Colchester result ............ as the 4 - 0 away defeat of Yeovil only days later demonstrated. Lambert (and I hope he will be successful for us) has had the luxury of experimenting with different players and line-ups, a luxury that Gunn was of course denied by the self-important Mr McNasty. I am now backing Lambert but let''s not forget the contribution of Gunn. And, no, Gunn didn''t get us relegated, it was the crap squad and toxic situation that he inherited from Roeder that did that. Gunn got rid of Roeder''s players in the close season and quickly and efficiently crafted his own squad from which Lambert is now reaping the benefits. Good for Lambert but good for Gunn too.

[/quote]

Agreed ref89.

Whilst gunn may have brought in a few decent players (we will see) his management skills weren''t good enough. Gunn may have had 2 4-0 wins, but they both arose in circumstances where the players needed no motivation. He may have inherited a poisoned chalice last season but our form deteriorated and the last 6 games simply weren''t good enough. Charlton and Colchester matches both demonstrated a total lack of direction and organisation, we were crap under roeder, but never such a shambles.

[quote user="ref89"]Nonsense.

Lambert has already demonstrated why he and Culverhouse are here.  They are ruthless and motivational.  Gunn etc were a chamles, and it showed on the pitch aand off it.  But dont let reality get in the way of your hero worship.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

In comes Rusty, out trundles Maric as well. He even had the much maligned Cureton strutting his stuff on saturday - albeit worn out before the hour was up.

Three wins out of three - when that last happened an old amnesiac like me struggles to recall (though I''m not too sure, I can''t actually remember if I do have amnesia). So nothing is certain.

Back two might be certan perhaps (Nelly and Ask who?).... .....the rest, who knows ?

Keeper, even the Theo bloke might even make it back at this rate. Fullbacks, any two from five. Midfield, we''ve a good half a dozen plus with two to come back and up front there''s fair bit of competition to partner the other certainty, Holt.

Difference is that now it looks like who can step up to fit in a winning team rather than ''we''ve tried everyone else maybe this one might work'' of a couple of weeks ago.

A win on Saturday and we could be in the playoffs of Div 3, couple that with the draw for the next round of the Paint pot cup on the same day and it''s all looking very promising.

Heady days, indeed !

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry, don''t know what chamles is. Anyway, nothing to do with hero worship, just facts. Gunn was also responsible for resurrecting Lappin''s career. It seems to me that too many of you are worshipping Lambert and rubbishing Gunn so I''m offering some balance. I''m certainly backing Lambert and so far he is making the right decisions and significant that he settled for the players that Gunn brought in and failed to ship out Hoola and the Doc although they may stilll go out on loan of course. However, whilst welcoming Lambert I am not prepared to denigrate Gunn''s name because the players that are now doing "well" (all relative of course) for us are the players that Gunn kept and gave another chance to or players that he brought in.

Heady days, indeed !

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah right. What a fantastic job Gunn did for us during jis short spell in charge. What great players Maric, Thoeklitos, Gill, Tudor Jones and Whaley look. That record home defeat was merely a blip on the way to us romping to the league 1 title. Give me strength!

Whilst gunn may have brought in a few decent players (we will see) -----------  do you need more time ? Holt, Hughes, Askou, Nelson, the resurrected Lappin etc

his management skills weren''t good enough. -------------------  that old chestnut again. Rural myth but, hay,  let''s all jump on that bandwagon because it''s so nice and cosy.

He may have inherited a poisoned chalice last season but our form deteriorated and the last 6 games simply weren''t good enough-------- - yes, you got it, Gunn most certainly inherited a poisoned chalice and Norwich were already rooted in a sharp downward slide and, as already sated, Gunn shipped out all the dross as soon as he had the opportunity. Gunn had no choice but to run with the players and attitudes that he inherited whilst Lambert has clearly chosen to "go with what we''ve got"

Heady days, indeed !

[/quote]

[/quote]

And well done Gunn for getting us relegated to the third division for the first time in 50 years...

Oh, hang on.

errr noIt''s three out of three Wycombe, Hartlepool and Brentford -As to amnesia I''m sure someone told me what it is............... I think

Whilst gunn may have brought in a few decent players (we will see) -----------  do you need more time ? Holt, Hughes, Askou, Nelson, the resurrected Lappin etc

his management skills weren''t good enough. -------------------  that old chestnut again. Rural myth but, hay,  let''s all jump on that bandwagon because it''s so nice and cosy.

He may have inherited a poisoned chalice last season but our form deteriorated and the last 6 games simply weren''t good enough-------- - yes, you got it, Gunn most certainly inherited a poisoned chalice and Norwich were already rooted in a sharp downward slide and, as already sated, Gunn shipped out all the dross as soon as he had the opportunity. Gunn had no choice but to run with the players and attitudes that he inherited whilst Lambert has clearly chosen to "go with what we''ve got"

[/quote]

Time to move on Bobby, Bryan Gunn was a terrible appointment and a useless manager for this club. End of.

[quote user="City1st"]errr no

It''s three out of three Wycombe, Hartlepool and Brentford -

As to amnesia I''m sure someone told me what it is............... I think
[/quote]

Three out of four, we played and lost to Sunderland last Monday.

[quote user="Grif"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

Time to move on Bobby, Bryan Gunn was a terrible appointment and a useless manager for this club. End of.

[/quote]

I have moved on and, like I said, of course I am now backing Lambert. However, when I saw "Hooray for Lambert" I felt that it was timely to remind a few on here that Gunn was most definitely not all bad and Lambert is benefitting from alot of the groundwork carried out by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook who is of course still at the club. I guess I have been provoked by reading some of the gratuitously spiteful comments made about Gunn (and also the Doc for that matter even though I am no supporter of Doherty) and felt that it wouldn''t do any harm to re-state some of the positives about Gunn - like Holt, like Hughes, like Asko, Nelson and the resurrected Lappin and the youth players who were given their chance by Gunn.

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let''s not forget the 5 dropped points against Exeter and Brentford caused by the puffed up Mr McNasty.

[/quote]

One very simple question: did you watch Gunn''s demeanour during our incredibly humiliating 7-1 home thrashing at the hands of Col U? That made all the rest academic in my opinion.

[/quote]

I don''t think anyone is questioning Gunn''s experience in identifying players.  Some of those he''s brought in look quite good and some don''t, but that''s partly due to the parlous state of the club''s finances - pay peanuts and all that.  His problems lay with team selection, motivation and tactics, and that''s what management is all about.

Avoiding relegation wasn''t an impossible task.  We weren''t in the bottom 3 when Gunn took over.  By the end of February there was really only one relegation place still up for grabs and the other main contenders were the mighty Blackpool, Plymouth and Barnsley.  

"Lambert has clearly chosen to ''go with what we''ve got''"?  I don''t think so.  He will have realised that if you join a club ten days before the transfer deadline it''s unlikely that much business will be done, so in that sense you could say he''s accepted the situation as it is.  But he''s inherited someone else''s squad just as Gunn did.

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]

[quote user="City1st"]errr noIt''s three out of three Wycombe, Hartlepool and Brentford -As to amnesia I''m sure someone told me what it is............... I think[/quote]

[/quote]Sunderland.... they don''t count, they are in the 1st divisionI''ll get my coat ...................................... if I can remember where I left it

[/quote]

I do need more time. Holt looks good, Hughes looks good and so does Askou, Nelson, well, time will tell, he''s put a mixed bag of performances in and no good ones under Gunn. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Gunn actually brought in 12 players this summer, Theokilitos, Gill, Tudur-Jones, Maric, Whaley....I certainly need to have a bit more time to assess these players. Furthermore, how can you possibly say he is behind Lappin''s "resurrection"? How much time did Lappin spend on the pitch under Gunn?

What did Gunn do exactly to suggest he did have the management skills and tactical nouse required? All Lambert has done since he arrived is get us better organised and give us a greater sense of direction. That is 90% of a managers job. Bringing in good players is all very well, but if they go out and play like a bunch of headless chickens then you''re going to lose, look at Newcastle last season, there''s no way they had the 3rd worst squad in the league, but there''s no doubting they were the 3rd worst team. The same argument might well apply to us. I''m not pinning the blame on Gunn for relegation, but he didn''t do anything to improve our position. Roeder inherited an equally poor squad 15 months previously and was able to at least steer us clear from relegation.

If Gunn''s job were simply to bring in players and stick them on the pitch and let them get on with it then I might agree with you, if you look back at my posts I''ve never criticised his signings, merely his ability to get the best out of them.

As I stated at the weekend, the manner of Gunn''s departure will, in my opinion help him retain and perhaps even increase his legend status. He never really got a chance to prove absolutely and irrefutably he wasn''t up to the task (although did nothing to suggest he was) and the board have come out looking like the villains. Give it a few years and I''m sure he''ll be a regular face spotted in and around Carrow Road on a matchday.

Gunn got us Holt, a Iwan style player and leader that the club has been crying out for since Iwan left! He made mistakes, costly ones at that and as such paid the ultimate price, but Lambert now has Gunn''s team and any success he achieves with it must give some credit to Gunn.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Grif"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have moved on and, like I said, of course I am now backing Lambert. However, when I saw "Hooray for Lambert" I felt that it was timely to remind a few on here that Gunn was most definitely not all bad and Lambert is benefitting from alot of the groundwork carried out by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook who is of course still at the club. I guess I have been provoked by reading some of the gratuitously spiteful comments made about Gunn (and also the Doc for that matter even though I am no supporter of Doherty) and felt that it wouldn''t do any harm to re-state some of the positives about Gunn - like Holt, like Hughes, like Asko, Nelson and the resurrected Lappin and the youth players who were given their chance by Gunn.

[/quote]

stop repeating yourself gunn was about as bad as grant, he''s gone forget the man

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Grif"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

stop repeating yourself gunn was about as bad as grant, he''s gone forget the man

It is now irrelevant whether Gunn was good, bad or indifferent (my appraisal of him) as a manager. The axe was swung, the deed was done and nobody will ever no if Team Gunn would have been capable of making a decent management collective or not. For my money, the Lambert, Culverhouse and Crook combination are already showing signs that they are better. The defence looks more like a unit and Lambert and co seem more capable of instilling confidence in players. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we will have a much clearer picture of whether McNally and co have made the right choices at the end of this season. Lambert, Culverhouse, Crook and the players now need our 100% support, and then hopefully the club can move forwards once more.

Let''s not forget the 5 dropped points against Exeter and Brentford caused by the puffed up Mr McNasty.

[/quote]

You''re being silly now . . .

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Gunn got us Holt, a Iwan style player and leader that the club has been crying out for since Iwan left! He made mistakes, costly ones at that and as such paid the ultimate price, but Lambert now has Gunn''s team and any success he achieves with it must give some credit to Gunn.[/quote]

Yes, of course! [Y]

Bob, your calling David McNally "McNasty" and seem to not approve of the way he''s going about things.

All i''m going to ask you is... Where''s being a "nice" club got us??

Thats right our lowest position in 50 years, unfortunatly football isn''t a "nice" business and it''s dog eat dog, us trying to be the nice little club has brought us nothing but failure in recent years, if going about things in a ruthless "nasty" manner is going to bring some results then so be it i say.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the puffed up Mr McNasty.

[/quote]

As opposed to the ''oh, it will be alright on the night'' Mr Doomcaster eh?