Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Jens Berthel Askou

With the likes of Holt and Lappin playing well and winning the man of the matches, and the youngsters coming on to the seen and doing well I think Askou has been over looked. 

He has looked like a very good championship quality defender.  He has been strong, good in the air, can tackle well, looks a threat from corners and when he has the ball at his feet he dosn''t just hoof a hopeless ball up to the strikers, he actually puts his head up looks for someone and picks them out more often than not with a quality pass.  I hope he stays fit as he could be a very important player for us this season.

Well played Askou [:D] 

[quote user="Boyo"]

With the likes of Holt and Lappin playing well and winning the man of the matches, and the youngsters coming on to the seen and doing well I think Askou has been over looked. 

He has looked like a very good championship quality defender.  He has been strong, good in the air, can tackle well, looks a threat from corners and when he has the ball at his feet he dosn''t just hoof a hopeless ball up to the strikers, he actually puts his head up looks for someone and picks them out more often than not with a quality pass.  I hope he stays fit as he could be a very important player for us this season.

[/quote]

I agree. I''ve been quite impressed with the games I''ve seen him play. He''s going to make a few mistakes, but looks like a quick learner and the fact that he''s a genuine goal threat is a huge bonus. I still think that the other CB place needs sorting as Doc, Nelson and Spillane all leave something to be desired.

I say, steady on there chaps, you''ll be in for a right good ear bashing from certain corners for those complimentary remarks.

For what it''s worth I totally agree with you though.  Seems to have found his feet and settled in nicely, an everpresent I hope.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

I agree. I''ve been quite impressed with the games I''ve seen him play. He''s going to make a few mistakes, but looks like a quick learner and the fact that he''s a genuine goal threat is a huge bonus. I still think that the other CB place needs sorting as Doc, Nelson and Spillane all leave something to be desired.

[/quote]

Yes I agree with you aswell, finding his best partner in defence is very important, I''m not sure who I would put in myself as I havn''t been that impressed with Doc, Spillane or Nelson.  But at least we have one good defender!

I was really impressed with Askou last night, looked very comfortable and seems to have a good understanding with Lappin. I was amazed at the distance he gets on his headers, I play centre-back myself and would say heading is my best attribute. But I sat in awe of Askou''s ability to get the ball so far with his head even when the ball had little pace on it.

Totally agree boyo'', Askou was great last night. Won pretty much EVERYTHING in the air which really neutralised Brentford''s options which is why they rarely troubled Alnwick in goal. His headers are strong, he doesn''t hoof like Nelson seemed to and seems to have great composure and doesn''t go helplessly flying into challenges hoping for the best.

He made just one mistake I noticed last night which was a slip in such awful conditions, but recovered well, held off the striker and managed to pick out a pass.

Lets hope this lad keeps it up

He seems to make defending look easy, nothing spectacular just solid defending without the constant mistakes we''ve become accustomed too from our centre backs. And he''s weighed in with a couple of goals too, perhaps he''s going to be the new Malky Mackay?

I don''t think he''s been over-looked, I think people have acknowledged he has played well, which is rightly so. As people have mentioned, I think it''s great having the aerial presence of Askou in the box when we win corners, as well as the awesome agility Nelson possesses. I may or may not have been joking about Nelson.

I''ve counted a few mistakes he''s made, but as he''s gained confidence we''ve stopped seeing as many.. and he is a beast in the air.Could well make a name for himself here.

After watching him again last night, I''m still to be 100% convinced.  Yes he is a threat, and has a brilliantly strong header, but he does get turned very easy and is a bit slow on the ball.  I''m sure he will learn quickly, and if he does, then I have no doubt that he will be a good player for us.  I''m not sure about him and Nelson at the back either, a bit too slow for my liking.

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Askou is Neil Adams'' man of the match for last night''s game. I''ve seen him and Nelson in the two last games, and I believe we have a really strong cb partnership; they seem to read each other''s game well.[/quote]I personally think Neil was watching a different game to me then.

Askou has impressed me everytime I''ve seen him this season. Sounds like he is forming a good partnership with Nelson at the back and his distribution is very good too. At last we have 2 centre backs that look a threat from set pieces!