Sign in to follow this  
Meeky

What is it about England fans watching games on the tele in the pub? ..

Can''t really comment on the game as I went and watched City reserves last night.
It was the disgraceful incidents I witnessed afterwards that appalled me. The reserve game finished at the same time as the England game, so we had to walk through Riverside to get home. Fights going on all over the place, doormen holding people down, and just an air of menace enveloping the whole area. We then went into the Compleat Angler for a drink, and we sat and watched a group of drunken "England" supporters walking up the middle of Prince of Wales Road abusing everyone with a different coloured skin to themselves, trying to pick a fight. We left the pub to go and get some KFC, only to find that it had to shut early, obviously because of some earlier trouble. I''m sorry to say that last night I was not proud to be an Englishman.

Rant over!

That is why the British have this reputation of drinking louts at home and abroad because of the mindless idiots who like nothing more than to cause grief and trouble to others after having a couple of beers which they cant handle.

I saw you and gazza last night at Riverside Meeky.  You were in front of me but by the time it had regiestered, I was going into Brannigans.  I agree though, Riverside was a disgrace last night.  I assume you are talking about the two boys, who looked no older than 16 being held by police outside the bowling, clearly p**ed out of their skulls?  It''s a cluture in our society now which I think is pretty damn sad

Remember a game at RÃ¥sunda, Stockholm, a couple of years ago, Sweden against England. Not a great game, nothing special about it at all. But most of us who were there remember how the english supporters vandalised the stadium. As the rest of us silently walked away after the game, the englishmen, who were hold inside the stadium, started to throw things (seats, tables) throu the glass walls down at us.

I don´t really understand whats going on inside some people´s heads, but clearly, there are a few that give the real supporters a bad reputation.

I dont see what it is about watching England that brings out the patriotic thug in people.

I watched the game last night and could not care less about the outcome. At both of the goals I just stood blank faced. I dont really empathise and feel a conection to the cause.

The only thing I was cheering on was the hope that Robinson, King and Defoe would pick up injurys which would keep them out for a week. So there are some things I am loyal to!!!

Navman, I would air caution in your use of the word British in the context of this thread. It may be a British culture thing but in respect of fans travelling abroad to watch England and causing trouble due to drunken behaviour, be very clear that it is England fans you''re talking about. Not Scotland, not Ireland, not Wales, England. It is a distinction some of the media miss themselves more often than not.

And yes I''m English, but I''ve lived north of the border for long enough to realise that mistake often causes much consternation.

[quote]Navman, I would air caution in your use of the word British in the context of this thread. It may be a British culture thing but in respect of fans travelling abroad to watch England and causing troub...[/quote]

Morph, I''m old enough to remember 70,000 Scots trashing Wembley stadium in the 1970s. The Scots are far from being angels, but they''ve stumbled across a clever way of accentuating the bad behaviour of English fans by being all cuddly wuddly themselves. It''s all about putting one over on the auld enemy. "Look how nice we are compared to those nasty sassenachs!" But I hear they''re not so cuddly wuddly in Glasgow on a Saturday night..

Its shocking though endemic of a wider social issue as people have already said. It seems its an excuse to cause trouble in the name of being an England fan, which does the rest of us no good at all. My mate has suggested the two of us going to the World Cup in Germany. I already have reservations, but fear this will be another excuse for trouble - so I am reluctant to go.

[quote]I saw you and gazza last night at Riverside Meeky. You were in front of me but by the time it had regiestered, I was going into Brannigans. I agree though, Riverside was a disgrace last night. I as...[/quote]

DD - if we had seen you would have come across and had a chat and a drink (soft drinks only this week, i had way TOOO much on monday)

as for the england fans (?) i am making no comment, meeky says it all for me

[quote]I dont see what it is about watching England that brings out the patriotic thug in people. I watched the game last night and could not care less about the outcome. At both of the goals I just stood b...[/quote]

"I watched the game last night and could not care less about the outcome. At both of the goals I just stood blank faced. I dont really empathise and feel a conection to the cause."

I would suggest you go to some competetive England games and get a feel of the pride and passion involved in supporting your country. After that comment I would imagine you are not English!!

"the fool....", I do indeed remember the Scots trashing Wembley in the 70s. However, in recent times it has been the English that have caused the trouble abroad, and home for that matter.

I''d agree with Smudge about going to an England game to get a feel for the pride and passion. I''ve been to three, one in Japan, and two here in England. However, one of those was the Euro 2004 qualifier against Turkey and I vowed after that game that I probably would never go to an England game again. That was a night of "misdirected" passion. Whilst the game itself was great I wasn''t too comfortable with the palpable air of aggression that hovered over the Stadium of Light that night.

DD

There wasn''t any police about when we were walking through, it looked like it had just "kicked off", lot''s of "youths" milling about in front of Time and Squares, only the pub doormen were involved at that point. Saw the police cars flying down to the area while we were in the Compleat. So it obviously didn''t quiet down by itself. Damned stupid if you ask me, God knows what it would have been like if England had lost.

It really annoys me that the Scots have managed to gain this image when they in my opinion just as bad as us. The problem is that when some scotsman in a kilt gets tanked up, sings and shouts and then vomits on the pavement (which they frequently do) everyone just shrugs their shoulders and says its those loveable rogues the Scots. Witness the Celtic fans when they came down to Carrow Road - if England fans behaved like they did they they would all be batton cherged, rounded up and shipped out of the city.

So far as Germany 2006 is concerned however I agree that it could well be a nightmare, mainly because there is such a large Turkish population living there. This is a recipe for disaster because not only are they always keen to have a pop at the English but also it does bring out the worst in the English support. Personally next time I travel to see England play abroad in a major tournament it will be to somewhere like Japan where there was never going to be any trouble. Last time I went was to brussels for Euro 2000 and that was an absolute nightmare.

I think you will find drunken t**ts will allways be drunken tw**s football is just the excuse they use it could just as well be cartheginian puddle jumping.As for the Riverside and P O Wales rd you will find the same ignorant drunken tw**s out most nights exhibiting their neandethal behaviour without a football game in sight!

Watched the England game in "Squares" last night, and It was well-behaved in there. On my way out to go home along riverside, there where a few "England Fans"? who would struggle to name 3 of the squad, who were suffering from the affects of a couple of cans of "Top Deck" Shandy. But I have (like previous posters), seen worse on a Friday & Sat night. Not all England supporters should be tarred with the same brush.....although many use football as an excuse to have a ding-dong....Proud to support NCFC and my National Team, and pretty disgusted by the moron''s who spoil it for everyone else! That is currently the way of society I''m afraid.

[quote]Watched the England game in "Squares" last night, and It was well-behaved in there. On my way out to go home along riverside, there where a few "England Fans"? who would struggle to name 3 of the squa...[/quote]

no legs

as i live not many minutes from riverside, i can say i have walked home from various bars, the cinema etc in complete safety - many times on a friday or saturday night.  Take the previous wednesday at the same time (9.30ish) i had just left the cinema and there was almost no one about, least of all idiots threatening the doormen of the two nearby club/bars and anyone else who happened to get in the way

this was due to an england game being televised live!  clubbing is completely different - being in a club/bar for four or five hours is obviously going to be too much for your average clubber, it seems very sad that those involved last night had probably only had three or four pints - it is not just the drink, but the mind set. 

[quote]Watched the England game in "Squares" last night, and It was well-behaved in there. On my way out to go home along riverside, there where a few "England Fans"? who would struggle to name 3 of the squa...[/quote]

Yello mate.

The point I was trying to make was that the majority of England supporters are fine, it was just last night to witness scenes like that at 9.30-10pm was disgraceful. What happens to people when they watch England? I saw two "supporters" last night in Riverside being held apart by the doormen, let''s face it we all support the same team.

Let me take a further example of what happened after the England-France game in 2004.

That''s a game we lost.

Brannigans was totally trashed that night, so much so, that a "plastic glass policy" was introduced soon after. Windows and doors were kicked in up Prince of Wales Road as well! Also there was all that trouble in Thetford after the Portugal game (at least some of the B''s got nicked then). Do we see this sort of behaviour after a City game whether we win or lose? No, of course we don''t even though people have probably had the same amount to drink or more. All I''m trying to put across is wtf do we have to tolerate this kind of drunken, yobbish, racist, bigoted behaviour just because our national team is playing.