Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Colchester confirm Aidy Boothroyd

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

Well, good luck to him and Col U.

A good appointment for us, too.  As he is out of work they won''t have paid any compensation to get him.  Which means their compensation claim against us suddenly looks a lot smaller, if not non existant.   One can only be "compensated" for what one has actually lost or had to spend.

[/quote]I can hear the brow being mopped from here, Mr. Phillips [;)]

[quote user="cufcone"]You are all happy,we are happy..Lets all get back to doing what we all do best.....Laughing at Ipswich[/quote]Amen to that! They are after all scum and even after the whole lambert fiasco I have never seen Col utd in a bad light.[Y]

And to add to this theme, Barnsley have apparently asked permission to speak to another ex-Canary who was in the fans frame for the Carra Rudd job recently - Mark Robins. As both Barnsley and Rotherham both look like they are heading to League 1 next year it will be interesting to see where he goes.

It hasn''t reduced the size of the compensation you''ll have to pay, it just hasn''t increased it.  We still get compensation for the loss of Lambert et al and are still pursuing damages as well - which I''m sure if it goes to tribunal we''ll get as well.  As I understand it RC is also looking for a points penalty for illegal tapping up - whether or not that happens I doubt.  Question is, can you afford the compensation on top of that you still need to pay Gunn etc (do you still owe compensation to the previous manager to Gunn or was that a vicious rumour I''ve heard?)

[quote user="ColUDave"]It hasn''t reduced the size of the compensation you''ll have to pay, it just hasn''t increased it.  We still get compensation for the loss of Lambert et al and are still pursuing damages as well - which I''m sure if it goes to tribunal we''ll get as well.  As I understand it RC is also looking for a points penalty for illegal tapping up - whether or not that happens I doubt.  Question is, can you afford the compensation on top of that you still need to pay Gunn etc (do you still owe compensation to the previous manager to Gunn or was that a vicious rumour I''ve heard?)[/quote]I''ve heard that points deduction is ludicrous and it will only be a money issue to be solved.

[quote user="Tookie140"]

The only worry for them is hoofball (I think).

[/quote]

urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh platt and lisbie upfront! what do you expect and they were lamberts buys!!! it will be no different!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Tookie140"]

The only worry for them is hoofball (I think).

[/quote]

urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh platt and lisbie upfront!
what do you expect and they were lamberts buys!!!

it will be no different!
[/quote]

Clive was signed by George Williams.  Lisbie may have been a loan request by PL but it was Cowling who persuaded him to drop down to League One because he''d been happy at the club before.

We''ve a loan player in and there is likely to be at least one more so jury out on the style of play I think.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

We''ve a loan player in and there is likely to be at least one more so jury out on the style of play I think.

[/quote]

You reckon?Aidy has done OK with ugly football, can''t see him suddenly becoming a proponent of the beautiful game overnight - especially as it''s easier to teach a bunch of L1 footballers to hoof it than play it.Still, if it makes you feel better then keep believing he''s gonna turn into Brian Clough overnight. Don''t hold your breath though....HOOOOOOOOOF!!! (put some snow on it!) [:P]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]How can Col U employ another manager when a day or so ago they hadn''t accepted Lamberts resignation?  Have I missed something?[/quote]

No, you sussed it mate![Y]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

You reckon?

Aidy has done OK with ugly football, can''t see him suddenly becoming a proponent of the beautiful game overnight - especially as it''s easier to teach a bunch of L1 footballers to hoof it than play it.

Still, if it makes you feel better then keep believing he''s gonna turn into Brian Clough overnight.
Don''t hold your breath though....

HOOOOOOOOOF!!! (put some snow on it!) [:P]

[/quote]

If it gets results and gets us out of this League I honestly couldn''t care less how we do it.  I am not interested in pretty football - I''d like us to get back in the Championship.

If it gets results and gets us out of this League I honestly couldn''t care less how we do it.  I am not interested in pretty football - I''d like us to get back in the Championship.

[/quote]

And if you do, the same when the same to get out of the Championship...and then stay in the Premiership?When does the fugly football stop then? Do you embrace it forever just "cos it''s a bit easier when you''re crap"?

I think saying Boothroyd will definitely play long ball is quite naive.

One of the biggest myths about him is that he only played that style of football at Watford. The year they went up they played some fantastic football with two fantastic wingers: Eagles and Young. They also played McNamee a lot too.

Unfortunately losing Eagles, and then Young, meant that they had to change. Obviously they tried to play some good football in the Premier, but after selling a few decent players, and losing a few more through injury, he switched the style to long ball. Which, unfortunately for him, just didn''t work, either in the top flight, or in the Championship, when he persevered with it.

If he feels he has the players to keep the ball on the deck and play decent football at Col Utd, then he will do so.

Seriously, you people believe that Ashley Young, playing on the wing in a team which only played ''hoofball'', managed to get a 9 million pound move to a top Premier side managed by one of the best in Britain?

Get real...

[quote user="questionmark"]I think saying Boothroyd will definitely play long ball is quite naive.[/quote]I agree. But it cannot be argued his only period of success came when he employed those long ball tactics - regardless of the ability of the wingers he had in the squad.

I disagree, Googler.

His period of success came when playing good football, keeping the ball wide and on the deck for the wingers to work with it.

His lack of success came about when he changed his tactics to long ball.

A case of short memories, perhaps?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

And if you do, the same when the same to get out of the Championship...and then stay in the Premiership?

When does the fugly football stop then? Do you embrace it forever just "cos it''s a bit easier when you''re crap"?
[/quote]

You tell me where the fugly football stops.  Stoke kicked their way up the divisions and where are they now?

Boothroyd said today he would adapt his football to the players he has or brings in.  If we get back to the Championship I suspect bigger clubs will come in for him and that might also apply to Lambert.

I think Boothroyd will do well, and I also think that given the manner in which we acquired Paul Lambert as manager, the yokels on this forum would do well to be a bit less condescending.

Boothroyd has talked about the hoofball tag, most recently to The Times last month.  He claims he was forced into hoofball by the squad he was left with after his best players were sold by their Chairman without his knowledge.  He tried to make a go of it but failed because the sales left the squad pitifully weak for where they were.  Boothroyd''s big mistake in my opinion was in not walking before he did.  He tried to give it a go but, as a Manager, was left in an untenable position by a Board which, if I may say so, has a track record which rivals what some of you feel about yours.

He will have my backing, as Lambert did, and we shall just have to wait and see.  For a small club such as Colchester I think it''s a decent appointment but, as previously posted, no Managers come with a guarantee. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

And if you do, the same when the same to get out of the Championship...and then stay in the Premiership?When does the fugly football stop then? Do you embrace it forever just "cos it''s a bit easier when you''re crap"?[/quote]

You tell me where the fugly football stops.  Stoke kicked their way up the divisions and where are they now?

Boothroyd said today he would adapt his football to the players he has or brings in.  If we get back to the Championship I suspect bigger clubs will come in for him and that might also apply to Lambert.

[/quote]

jesus crist....you have the 2 biggest strikers in the league! you always play hoofball! whats gonna change?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

You reckon?Aidy has done OK with ugly football, can''t see him suddenly becoming a proponent of the beautiful game overnight - especially as it''s easier to teach a bunch of L1 footballers to hoof it than play it.Still, if it makes you feel better then keep believing he''s gonna turn into Brian Clough overnight. Don''t hold your breath though....HOOOOOOOOOF!!! (put some snow on it!) [:P][/quote]

[/quote]

cal................ill have a quid for every point we finish above you!!! and like wise for you!

[quote user="TheGoogler"]What do you make of Peter Jackson''s sacking at Lincoln, Camul? Seems like the right move IMO.
[/quote]

It''s sad.  Yes, I am sure it is the right move for the club but Jacko is a smashing bloke and I am personally sorry it has ended that way but, as we all know, there is no sentiment in football.

I think he takes part of the blame but only part of it because to an extent he is a victim of what I call League Two circumstances. He has had little money to work with but has provided us with a decent defence - Goulash is a good player and Rob Burch is arguably currently the best keeper in League Two.

His fault, however, is in not being able to provide adequate replacements for the players nicked by clubs further up the pyramid.  The performance against Burton was dire and that against the Mighty Daggers unspeakable - I wonder if he had lost the dressing room because the body language on the pitch said to me: "Can''t be arsed." We could have conceded six or seven in that game, easily.

Average life of a Football League manager: 19 months.

Not sure where the money is coming from to pay Jacko off and hire the new bloke but, hopefully, there is a secret treasure chest somewhere.[+o(]

Ian Ward would be the local choice to replace but he''s just become Assistant at Stockport.  Ronnie Moore (beaten into 2nd place by Boothroyd at Colchester) would be mine but I''m not sure Lincoln could afford it unless he wants to dumb down a bit and is running out of money.  But Moore is definitely a class manager in lower leagues if such can exist.

Used to working with **** all and plundering non League.  Great character as well but I doubt Lincoln will be that lucky.

Come on you Imps.[+o(]

[quote user="Hollywood Canary"]Great appointment for them IMO.[/quote]

Just think that Aidy was scared to death of the Norwich job, he''s playing it safe by joining Colchester and trying to rebuild his reputation there.

[quote user="book end"]

Just think that Aidy was scared to death of the Norwich job, he''s playing it safe by joining Colchester and trying to rebuild his reputation there.

[/quote]

Fortunately, or unfortunately, he was never asked by Norwich nor did he apply when Roeder was fired so the message board bollocks was just that.

The "dream team" messages linking Boothroyd and Malkey were monstered both places.  Boothroyd was in Spain and the first Malky knew of this "dream team" arrangement was when a friend rang up from Stalham and read the Archant "reportedly linked" bit to him.

Other than that it was a goer. [:|]

[quote user="book end"]

[/quote]Good call.Gone to where mediocrity is expected and accepted. Who can blame him?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="book end"]

[/quote]

Good call.
Gone to where mediocrity is expected and accepted. Who can blame him?

[/quote]

Who indeed? Smashing little club where you can ring up the Owner and the CEO and chat to them about it.

Do you have that facility?  [;)]

I do understand you are a VERY BIG CLUB.

Who indeed? Smashing little club where you can ring up the Owner and the CEO and chat to them about it.

Do you have that facility?  [;)]

I do understand you are a VERY BIG CLUB.

[/quote]

Do you? Seriously?I don''t know, do I have that "facility"? Never tried tbh, doubtful if I ever will. What difference would it make? Do you think you make a difference when you do? Cos if so I think you may have an over inflated idea of your own importance, assuming you''re speaking as a fan.So many questions, so few answers.