Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Colchester confirm Aidy Boothroyd

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

He would have come here at a shot, I wonder why he was never asked?

[/quote]

Lets just say he was never the most popular member of staff when at Norwich....

Clever appointment. Would have preferred Boothroyd to Lambert. It will be interesting to see how the Ewes perform compared to us this season. As for one of the comments on here any manager with any ambition goes to a bigger club if the offer comes in. Lamber will do the same if given the opportunity.

Quite surprised with that.I''d have thought he would have wanted to go to a bigger club that Colchester...Suppose you can''t moan when you are out of work, can''t see him being there long though.

[quote user="Pompey_88"]good appointment but will jump to a bigger club at the earliest opportunity[/quote]

Much like their last boss then [;)]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Would have preferred Boothroyd to Lambert.[/quote]

Really? Boothroyd did well initally at Watford, but his long ball game was quickly sussed out. He failed spectacularly when he changed his team''s style of play. It will be very interesting to see if his success at Watford can be replicated.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

He would have come here at a shot, I wonder why he was never asked?

[/quote]

He was offered job before Gunny got it after Barnsley match, they offered him peanuts,thats why we got three monkeys instead

Decent appointment. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. We could have had him had we wanted him but as alluded to above he made very few friends whilst at norwich the first time round and our board were not well disposed towards his style of football.

We''ve got the better end of this one. Hope the plastic cockneys enjoy craning their necks as the ball heads moonwards again.

As for all those saying he should have come here, just ask yourselves one question. If Boothroyd is so good why did NOBODY (not just us) want to employ him for nearly a year?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

We''ve got the better end of this one. Hope the plastic cockneys enjoy craning their necks as the ball heads moonwards again.

As for all those saying he should have come here, just ask yourselves one question. If Boothroyd is so good why did NOBODY (not just us) want to employ him for nearly a year?

[/quote]Good question Beausant, I''m wondering if they intend to install reclining chairs down at the snappily named Weston Homes Community Stadium now.  No need to bother with grass much either now, as the ball will be in the air most of the time.

we''ll see about the style of football...yes he played hoofball at Watford but he was interviewed by the times a while back (someone dug it out on the col u messageboard) and he was asked why he wasn’t in work.His answer basically said that because he had a reputation for long ball football but that he did that at Watford because that fit the strengths of his squad.  He said with a different squad he’d use different tactics if that was what was best for those players.  Bit like Lambert – he came with a reputation for long ball and last year did that, but then went out and bought better players and changed the style.  With Clive Platt in the team there will always be an element of long ball, but if we can mix it up all the better!There are very few teams that don''t use the long ball occasionally, in fact the only one I can think of is Arsenal.  Especially at this level, every now and then defenders panic and hit it long.

But they were turned down initially by the Torquay manager Paul BUCKLE apparently to whom they had offered the position..........so Aidy is second choice.

wrong again.  Torquay were approached to see if we could interview him as part of the final six.  Torquay said no (we left it at that - wouldn''t want to break league rules ;-) ) .  The club were trialling various options from higher profile managers such as Boothroyd and from successful lower league managers like Buckle.  There is probably also a concern about loyalty after Lambert and as an ex-player Buckle may have been the safer bet.  The club were covering the bases at interview stage, bear in mind that the club announced it would make a decision on Tuesday and announce today - publicised early last week and the Buckle story broke over the weekend, so all the interviews hadn''t been conducted let alone Buckle being offered the job.

You get an arrogant twat with his head stuck up his own arse,doesn''t know how to treat players and has done nothing during his management career and we get someone who took Watford to the premiership on a shoestring and we will be getting a nice bit of cash off you guys as well. You might go on about his style of play but would Watford have got promoted with a different style? i don''t think so.......I know who i think has come out better from all this

Well good luck with him anyway Colchester, despite the recent amnity that has developed between our clubs I still think well of Colchester and seriously hope you do well this season, one spot below us of course!

[quote user="cufcone"]You get an arrogant twat with his head stuck up his own arse,doesn''t know how to treat players and has done nothing during his management career and we get someone who took Watford to the premiership on a shoestring and we will be getting a nice bit of cash off you guys as well. You might go on about his style of play but would Watford have got promoted with a different style? i don''t think so.......I know who i think has come out better from all this[/quote]

We will see. We could have had Boothroyd but chose a different path. Time will tell who made the right call.

Good luck to them, it''s a 50/50 appointment for them IMO but there''s always that element to appointing a manager.

cufcone... Ian Dowie got Palace promoted with little cash also. He''s not been the most successful manager since has he?? Boothroyd''s acheivements at Watford arn''t a garentee you''ll do well.

[quote user="Tookie140"]

The only worry for them is hoofball (I think).

[/quote]

Yes, but i can actually see it working for them. Clive Platt could certainly work with Route 1, and im sure Lisbie could, after all hes quick.

Well, good luck to him and Col U.

A good appointment for us, too.  As he is out of work they won''t have paid any compensation to get him.  Which means their compensation claim against us suddenly looks a lot smaller, if not non existant.   One can only be "compensated" for what one has actually lost or had to spend.